Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1uz vvti cam seals

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-19, 12:09 PM
GroHZ30
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1uz vvti cam seals

I bought a 98 sc400 and I'm servicing the engine with timing kit. water pump, and bunch of other seals and stuff, since its leaking oil.
What's the procedure to take out the cams and replace the cam seals?
I been reading you do 50 degrees after tdc, and the passenger side cams are aligned, then you put a service bolt, and the driver side cams wont be aligned and you have to rotate them...?
Old 05-08-19, 01:02 PM
BiGEZ
Instructor

Received 138 Likes on 114 Posts

I used the info in the link below as a guide to do the job on my 99SC400. It seems more complicated than it is, I successfully complete the job with no issues.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...ion-notes.html
Old 05-08-19, 04:31 PM
GroHZ30
Driver School Candidate

I understand how to do the timing belt and water pump service.
Right know I'm stuck on the camshaft seals because so far i have read that you set 50 degrees after tdc (which i already did), then you see if you intake and exhaust camshaft are align. If the cams aren't align then you rotate them (according to the manuals and info out there in the forums).
Before rotating the cams, i just take the timing belt off, mark things and rotate the cams, put service bolt in, and take off intake camshaft...?
Some people are telling me that they just marked things put service bolt and took off things but don't clarify if they rotate anything or if they remove belt prior that.

So far i set thing on tdc, then i moved 50 degrees after tdc, and notice that my cams aren't align yet so i didn't rotate them yet, i just left them as is for now till i clarify things.
Old 05-08-19, 07:57 PM
BiGEZ
Instructor

Received 138 Likes on 114 Posts

If I recall correctly I had to rotate the cams to get the holes to line up. I rotated the cams clockwise a few degrees to everything to line up.
Verify it is not the VVTi cam gear that is leaking. I replaced my cams seals only to fine out it was the gears that was leaking. I had to go back and do it all over again and change the O rings for the cam gears.
Old 10-15-20, 05:32 PM
mullinsan
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GroHZ30
I understand how to do the timing belt and water pump service.
Right know I'm stuck on the camshaft seals because so far i have read that you set 50 degrees after tdc (which i already did), then you see if you intake and exhaust camshaft are align. If the cams aren't align then you rotate them (according to the manuals and info out there in the forums).
Before rotating the cams, i just take the timing belt off, mark things and rotate the cams, put service bolt in, and take off intake camshaft...?
Some people are telling me that they just marked things put service bolt and took off things but don't clarify if they rotate anything or if they remove belt prior that.

So far i set thing on tdc, then i moved 50 degrees after tdc, and notice that my cams aren't align yet so i didn't rotate them yet, i just left them as is for now till i clarify things.
I'm currently in this same position and wondering what you ended up doing before pulling the cams out? TB is off and everything is at 50 degrees ATDC.