Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

93 Sc300 spits, sputters, and doesn’t wanna get up and go

Old 11-04-18, 09:03 AM
BleezySc3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 Sc300 spits, sputters, and doesn’t wanna get up and go

To start off i did a tune up and realized I had a bad valve cover and it leaked oil on to the spark plugs so I went a replaced the valve cover gasket along with the plugs. It ran good for around 100-200 miles and started to want to die on me every time I’d release the clutch to take off. The car would struggle and shake anything under 25k rpm and anything above run smooth.
It started getting alittle worst so I cleaned the throttle body and put on a new tps. Changed spark wires, distributor cap and rotor. Ran amazing for about a week. I left it sit for a day or 2 started it up and all was back. I felt like giving up so I let it sit all week while I was at work doing research, started thinking it was the fuel pump and fuel filter (filter has never been replaced (224k)). Popped those suckers in and look at that! My car was at a smooth idle put ruby in gear and as the started to realease the clutch put put put and my cars wanting to die on me just like before!!!! Now the car is shaking down the road and won’t pick up speed I come back to the garage park it, let it idle and it smells like straight gas.
I pop the hood to see what going on and I see alittle smoke coming from down below so I get under the car and my catalytic covertor is red hot like a cherry pie.

Ive looked into many threads my thoughts are a collapsed cat, internally something’s broken, something is wrong with the timing of the motor, or Iac, Egr. Someone help me out here
Old 11-05-18, 01:03 PM
Ozzzzy
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Well the red hot cat means you're missing a cylinder. For some reason, one of your plugs isn't firing!! Recheck your plugs, wires and Cap./rotor.
One time I washed my car and I went a little overboard with the rinsing and sprayed a ton of water into the engine compartment, needless to say, some drained onto the engine and shorted the rear cylinder, and I has the same symptoms.

Last edited by Ozzzzy; 11-05-18 at 01:07 PM.