Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Canister is leaking Gas...Please Help !!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-09, 09:08 AM
Codfish
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Canister is leaking Gas...Please Help !!!

Hello... I am new to the forum so please bear with me...

I have a 1992 Sc 300, I had to replace the engine due to neglect. A second issue at the time was the white smoke (dumping fuel). I have removed/replace the engine, removed the fuel tank cleaned it thoroughly (at least it looked very clean), and replaced the fuel pump. Now I find that the fuel is leaking out of the "charcoal canister" and still dumping extra fuel into the engine.

What causes the fuel to go thru the canister rather than where it is supposed to go ???

What else can I do ???

Thank you in advance

Wayne
Old 10-29-09, 09:34 AM
ICONYQ
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you sure you have the lines connected right? This is a vapor canister...no fuel should be going to this and not seeing how it would even get there...
Old 10-29-09, 10:06 AM
Codfish
Rookie

Originally Posted by ZMEGOBY
Are you sure you have the lines connected right? This is a vapor canister...no fuel should be going to this and not seeing how it would even get there...

Thank you for responding...

Lexus seemed to make it so hoses cant be crossed (at least thats what I noticed during the installation, I could easily be wrong) So I dont think I messed up the connections. I had this problem even before replacing the engine and cleaning the tank...
Old 11-01-09, 07:08 PM
Codfish
Rookie

There are three lines that come from the bottom of the tank. I found out that the hose that runs to the canister is leaking inside the tank...I had a friend blow into the hose connected to the canister (front of the car) labeled "to tank" and the bubbles were coming out of the base of the pipe within the tank... I think I need a new tank ???

Anyone say other wise ???

Thanks in advance
Old 11-04-09, 12:45 PM
Codfish
Rookie

Originally Posted by Codfish
There are three lines that come from the bottom of the tank. I found out that the hose that runs to the canister is leaking inside the tank...I had a friend blow into the hose connected to the canister (front of the car) labeled "to tank" and the bubbles were coming out of the base of the pipe within the tank... I think I need a new tank ???

Anyone say other wise ???

Thanks in advance

Bueller... Bueller...

Anyone have any suggestions before I put this tank in ???

Peace and Thanx
Wayne
Old 11-05-09, 09:13 AM
Codfish
Rookie

Default Please help

I removed and replaced the gas tank and I still have fuel leaking from the charcoal canister...

Help please !!!

any suggestions you professionals come up with would be greatly appreciated...

Thanx in advance
Wayne
Old 11-05-09, 12:03 PM
slappy96
Lead Lap

Ill just throw out some ideas:

A blocked fuel line causing gas to go out the vent line to the canister.

A soaked canister that needs to be replaced.

Lines from gas tank that got crossed somewhere.

Does the line into the canister drip fuel if you disconnect it? If not, the canister might just be full of fuel. If it does, there is definately a line swap or blockage somewhere.
Old 11-09-09, 01:58 PM
Codfish
Rookie

Thank you !!!! for your response I will check on what you have listed here. I know the line for the canister that says "to tank" is not blocked, I blew into the hose (blow the hose hahaha!!!) and I saw bubbles show up in the tank...

Originally Posted by slappy96
Ill just throw out some ideas:

A blocked fuel line causing gas to go out the vent line to the canister.

A soaked canister that needs to be replaced.

Lines from gas tank that got crossed somewhere.

Does the line into the canister drip fuel if you disconnect it? If not, the canister might just be full of fuel. If it does, there is definately a line swap or blockage somewhere.
Old 11-09-09, 05:16 PM
T4-Teg
Driver

Take all the lines off the canister and start the vehicle. You will see if any fuel is coming through the lines, there shouldnt be. If there is track down the line, see where its coming from, and see if its crossed. If no fuel comes through any of the lines, suspect a bad canister (full of fuel).

How much gas did you put in the car, I know if you wayyy overfill the tank fuel can go through the vapor lines into the canister.
The following users liked this post:
bryceis250 (07-15-18)
Old 11-23-09, 12:23 PM
Codfish
Rookie

Originally Posted by T4-Teg
Take all the lines off the canister and start the vehicle. You will see if any fuel is coming through the lines, there shouldnt be. If there is track down the line, see where its coming from, and see if its crossed. If no fuel comes through any of the lines, suspect a bad canister (full of fuel).

How much gas did you put in the car, I know if you wayyy overfill the tank fuel can go through the vapor lines into the canister.

Lets start with:

THANK YOU FOR ALL THE FEEDBACK LADIES AND GENTLEMEN !!!

I didnt over flow the tank thats for sure... I have checked the lines and found nothing unusual .

I hear that there is a "check valve" that is below the intake manifold that might be the problem...

Anyone ???

Thanks in advance
Wayne
Old 11-23-09, 12:45 PM
ALLWiTE2JZ
Lead Lap

Thank you !!!! for your response I will check on what you have listed here. I know the line for the canister that says "to tank" is not blocked, I blew into the hose (blow the hose hahaha!!!) and I saw bubbles show up in the tank...
LOL!!!!!
Old 11-23-09, 02:41 PM
jfb92sc300
Driver School Candidate

Lets start with:

THANK YOU FOR ALL THE FEEDBACK LADIES AND GENTLEMEN !!!

I didnt over flow the tank thats for sure... I have checked the lines and found nothing unusual .

I hear that there is a "check valve" that is below the intake manifold that might be the problem...

Anyone ???

Thanks in advance
Wayne
It sounds like a bad check valve. The valve is in the line to maintain 2psi of pressure in the fuel tank. If it is staying open it could allow fuel thru. What happened when you disconnected the line from the canister?
Old 11-23-09, 03:05 PM
Gspec
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Faulty fuel pressure regulator.....seen it happen quite a few times.
Old 11-23-09, 08:45 PM
93twintrbo
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Check your canister purge valve. If the valve is stuck in the open position it will allow fuel tank vapors to enter the intake manifold.
Old 11-23-09, 09:46 PM
booja
Lead Lap

Hello... I am new to the forum so please bear with me...

I have a 1992 Sc 300, I had to replace the engine due to neglect. A second issue at the time was the white smoke (dumping fuel). I have removed/replace the engine, removed the fuel tank cleaned it thoroughly (at least it looked very clean), and replaced the fuel pump. Now I find that the fuel is leaking out of the "charcoal canister" and still dumping extra fuel into the engine.

What causes the fuel to go thru the canister rather than where it is supposed to go ???

What else can I do ???

Thank you in advance

Wayne
white smoke is not fuel...

white = water, coolant
blue = oil
black/ dark grey = fuel

Quick Reply: Canister is leaking Gas...Please Help !!!