Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Mechanical to Electric Speed Sensor Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-18, 10:48 AM
Ozzzzy
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Question Mechanical to Electric Speed Sensor Conversion

Last year my 5sp trans seized up (Thanx Toyota for not putting a dipstick on the trans to let me know I had an oil leak) and I replaced it with another w58 from a 85 Celica Supra. Unfortunately it uses a cable system for the speedometer. I though no problem, I'll just install my speed sensor and of course it doesn't work. There's a conversion kit for the R154 (and you need the mechanical drive to make it work which I don't have) but nothing for the W58. Does anyone know what I need to do?

Thanx for any input
Ozzzzy
Old 06-14-18, 12:46 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

Your old W58 seizing is a really bad break. Sorry Ozzzzy

The Marlin Crawler mechanical speed drive to VSS signal convertor will work for both early R154's and early W58's. You're saying that Celica-Supra W58 does not have a mechanical speedo drive area? It should unless the seller of the transmission removed it for some reason.

With the MC VSS convertor screwed on you can then use a Yellr YellowBox V4 or V5 to adjust the signal pulses going to your speedometer to have an accurate reading. Use a portable GPS unit (Garmin, TomTom, etc.) for real-time actual speed reference when calibrating the YellowBox.

However before you go any further... I'd recommend you not install that Celica-Supra W58 since it is weaker and rated for less torque than the original W58 that your SC300 came with. The early W58's have aluminum sandwich plates rather than steel, use a different transmission mount and crossmember and also should have shorter extension housings (meaning your shifter will not come up in the same location as your original stock W58).

The W58's from the 1992-1994 SC300 and the 1993-1997 Supra and 1995-1997 SC300 are the ones to use, although the "tripod" versions will require a different transmission tunnel or cutting of your tunnel's top opening if you have a 1992-1994 SC300 5-speed.

Sorry to make such a suggestion but in the long run it's going to be more trouble than it's worth to convert that Celica-Supra W58 only for it to be less strong as your original W58.
Old 06-14-18, 02:07 AM
RXRodger
Instructor

Received 202 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Ozzzzy
Last year my 5sp trans seized up (Thanx Toyota for not putting a dipstick on the trans to let me know I had an oil leak) and I replaced it with another w58 from a 85 Celica Supra. Unfortunately it uses a cable system for the speedometer. I though no problem, I'll just install my speed sensor and of course it doesn't work. There's a conversion kit for the R154 (and you need the mechanical drive to make it work which I don't have) but nothing for the W58. Does anyone know what I need to do?

Thanx for any input
Ozzzzy
How much trouble do you want to go through? If you pull the tail housing off of the trans you can change the gear for the vss and it will work. You can order the correct gear for around $30 from Toyota. Or better yet if you still have your failed W58 rob it off of it.

When you swapped the other trans in, what did you do about the different shifter position? Did you swap tail housings then? Would have been a quick change to swap over the vss gear at that time.

Last edited by RXRodger; 06-14-18 at 02:12 AM.
Old 06-14-18, 06:11 PM
Ozzzzy
Intermediate

Thanx for the replies!
When I said the mechanical drive was missing, I meant there was a hole where the sensor unit is inserted into the trany when I bought it, the internal parts are all there. Unfortunately, those parts don't mesh with the electric sensor. As you probably know, the sensor just slides snuggly into the trany and bolted to the case, I was looking at the pics for that VSS unit adapter with the mechanical drive attached from the R154 and maybe I was mistaken but did the whole unit screw into the case because it really looked like that setup wouldn't work on a W58? I don't know the differences between the W58 and R154.
- As far as having a weaker trans, my car has over 400k on it, I baby it. No gas stomping in this car.
- As far as pulling parts off the old trans, I gave that to a junk yard months ago.
- As far as the tail housing, I had to get creative with making it all work, it's not perfect but it all works and I didn't have a clue about the VSS gear when I did the swap, I of course wasted months on checking and replacing everything else no having a clue about Celica differences!
If you say that the VSS adapter is not screwed in and compatible with the W58, I'll trust you and find a mechanical drive unit for this Celica W58 and buy that adapter

Ozzy

Last edited by Ozzzzy; 06-14-18 at 06:25 PM.
Old 06-18-18, 03:03 AM
RXRodger
Instructor

Received 202 Likes on 157 Posts

I will look around I might have one of the old mechanical VSS units. If I do I can send it to you.

I assume with this transmission your shifter is more forward is that correct? Can you confirm which sandwich plate is in your transmission? I have bought transmissions from Mark III’s before and they were steel. Just curious which you have.
Old 06-23-18, 04:12 PM
Ozzzzy
Intermediate

Sorry, I don't know if steel or aluminum
Found a cable housing unit off a Tacoma, I have order the correct teeth and buy the MS VSS adapter but I don;t know what the Yellr YellowBox V4 or V5 is