ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   Performance & Maintenance (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/performance-and-maintenance-33/)
-   -   Sc400 loss of power, runs rich, loud (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/performance-and-maintenance/889002-sc400-loss-of-power-runs-rich-loud.html)

Braaap1uz 05-15-18 08:21 PM

Sc400 loss of power, runs rich, loud

I recently bought a 92 sc400 and it ran perfect for about 2 weeks before randomly messing up one morning when I tried to start it.
Issues:
Before any major issues, the car randomly stalled at stop lights every once in a while.
Barely wanted to start, cranked and cranked until just barely starting up.
Next, I tried driving down my street and it bogs down when I floor it, but will get up to speed when I slowly accelerate. Drove it around fine, up to 50 mph but like a slug. In first gear it drives pretty nicely, but as soon as I put it in second gear it won’t go above 1k rpm.

So far I’ve tried replacing:
Fuel pump ecu
spark plugs
ignition coils
sent ECU to get fixed.

Right now I’m investigating the camshaft/ crankshaft position sensors. The info I’ve found on symptoms of bad ones matches pretty closely to what issues I have. But I’m not sure whether my issue is cam or crank position sensor.
I’ve also checked the throttle body, it’s pretty clean and snaps perfect, opens all the way when floored in accessory mode. After sitting in my garage a few weeks,and turned on a few times it also started misfiring pretty bad when revved up. Sounds like 2 step.
Any help with this would be greatly appreciated

Braaap1uz 08-16-18 05:07 PM

Bump?
bump?

FatBrian81 08-16-18 07:12 PM

Another user recently posted about a similar issue and found his o2 sensors were bad, it might be worth a shot to check them out.

BlackIRON 08-17-18 07:06 AM

Any engine codes?

xCWolf 08-18-18 04:28 PM

I recently posted this, my o2 sensors were black. still haven't replaced them

java300hp 08-20-18 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by Braaap1uz (Post 10200150)

I recently bought a 92 sc400 and it ran perfect for about 2 weeks before randomly messing up one morning when I tried to start it.
Issues:
Before any major issues, the car randomly stalled at stop lights every once in a while.
Barely wanted to start, cranked and cranked until just barely starting up.
Next, I tried driving down my street and it bogs down when I floor it, but will get up to speed when I slowly accelerate. Drove it around fine, up to 50 mph but like a slug. In first gear it drives pretty nicely, but as soon as I put it in second gear it won’t go above 1k rpm.

So far I’ve tried replacing:
Fuel pump ecu
spark plugs
ignition coils
sent ECU to get fixed.

Right now I’m investigating the camshaft/ crankshaft position sensors. The info I’ve found on symptoms of bad ones matches pretty closely to what issues I have. But I’m not sure whether my issue is cam or crank position sensor.
I’ve also checked the throttle body, it’s pretty clean and snaps perfect, opens all the way when floored in accessory mode. After sitting in my garage a few weeks,and turned on a few times it also started misfiring pretty bad when revved up. Sounds like 2 step.
Any help with this would be greatly appreciated

Wait for ecm.. then run the car and pull codes..

Impressed 08-22-18 09:23 AM

Mine was disintegrated distributor rotor and cap.

xCWolf 08-26-18 11:02 AM

Wouldn't that cause it to not start at all?

Impressed 08-26-18 11:38 AM

Mine missed, ran but only on 4 cylinders. Way do in on power. Two distributors,two coils.

xCWolf 08-26-18 11:39 AM

Yeah not the same problem as mine than, occasionally it runs fine and it's not misfiring.

Impressed 08-26-18 01:42 PM

I'm new to them 2. Frustrating. Try pulling codes. Obd1 though, oriely may be able to help. Let me know, curious

xCWolf 08-26-18 01:45 PM

No codes. Never threw any.

DaBeast421 12-09-18 02:42 PM

Mine as well

My 92 sc400 is doing the same...if you've had any headway on this matter I could definitely use the remedy.
thank you for sharing your troubles

Braaap1uz 12-09-18 08:23 PM

I’ve found that it’s the ECU that’s messed up. I even had it rebuilt but it’s just completely dead at this point. I’m looking at working used ones

DaBeast421 12-13-18 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by Braaap1uz (Post 10379891)
I’ve found that it’s the ECU that’s messed up. I even had it rebuilt but it’s just completely dead at this point. I’m looking at working used ones

Ok...thanks I'll give it a shot...if it a cure I'll let you know