Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Need some help quick: Transmission removal

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-10, 09:53 AM
attzor
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help quick: Transmission removal

Ok so I have all of the bell housing bolts out, removed all of the connectors and coolant lines, opened the access window, what now? it's not coming down, do I have to remove the flex plate bolts or what ever inside of the access window? Any help would be appreciated, I've been searching, wish there was a guide on this.
Old 06-03-10, 09:57 AM
sc4fanatic
Driver School Candidate

maybe this will help....
http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/trans...n/removal.html

gl...
Old 06-03-10, 10:20 AM
HellFish
Lexus Test Driver

yes youll have to remove the hardware that connects the flex plate to the torque converter.
Old 06-03-10, 10:53 AM
ConSynX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I read your post and was pretty confused for a second...
silly automatics.
Old 06-03-10, 02:36 PM
attzor
Lead Lap

got it out, wasn't as bad as I expected, a 3/8ths socket fit just fine and with my pops holding the crank pully still, it was done in 5 mins.
Old 06-03-10, 05:25 PM
CRuby
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pulled mine about a month ago w/o unbolting torque convertor. 92 SC400 w/ auto. Just had to pull aft pretty far taking care not to bend the trans dip stick tube. Your past that stage now though. Changed rear main seal & front trans seal. When I reinstalled mine I 1st attached the torque convertor to the trans & then installed the assy. Make sure everything is aligned 1st & don't pull trans to engine using bolts. If something's not aligned you'll bust something. Align the dowel pins on each side & push it together. Install trans/engine bolts. Then install the bolts between torque convertor & fly wheel. Very cramped quarters here. Installed every other bolt loosely, turn main crank CW looking aft to get to each bolthole. Don't turn CCW! Use teeth of flywheel to antirotate while torquing the remaining bolts btwn torque convertor & flywheel.
Old 06-03-10, 06:15 PM
attzor
Lead Lap

What are you referring to when you say CCW? I'm having trouble aligning the new trans up, I just can't seem to get it to go in. I did replace the rear main seal, figured I might aswell, seeing as it took 3 days to pull the ****ing transmission out.

So is there any tricks or any special things that I'm not doing thats causing it not to line up?
Old 06-03-10, 06:31 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by attzor
What are you referring to when you say CCW? I'm having trouble aligning the new trans up, I just can't seem to get it to go in. I did replace the rear main seal, figured I might aswell, seeing as it took 3 days to pull the ****ing transmission out.

So is there any tricks or any special things that I'm not doing thats causing it not to line up?
Just did this a couple of months ago... It was a nightmare trying to get it to line up. Took us a couple of hours to get it in properly Unfortunately I don't know of any tricks aside from plenty of patience. Once you start getting irritated it never goes in. We took a break after a couple of hours, and just walked right up to it and first try it slid right back in...

Jonny
Old 06-03-10, 06:37 PM
attzor
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Dx3
Just did this a couple of months ago... It was a nightmare trying to get it to line up. Took us a couple of hours to get it in properly Unfortunately I don't know of any tricks aside from plenty of patience. Once you start getting irritated it never goes in. We took a break after a couple of hours, and just walked right up to it and first try it slid right back in...

Jonny
Yeah after an hour of jiggling it, I said **** it and called it a night, it was starting to get dark anyways. I just hope I can get the stupid thing in quickly and get to putting the **** back together, it's going to be a long day tomorrow, I just hope I can get it all done.
Old 06-03-10, 07:34 PM
1JZ300
Lexus Test Driver

getting it lined up youll need the aligning tool(well i did) to get it just right or else youll be fighting it for a while. just completed my swap, good luck! if you have any questions hit me up
Old 06-03-10, 08:24 PM
attzor
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1JZ300
getting it lined up youll need the aligning tool(well i did) to get it just right or else youll be fighting it for a while. just completed my swap, good luck! if you have any questions hit me up
It's an automatic, I'm fairly sure you're refering to one of those clutch alignment tools, correct?
Old 06-04-10, 01:27 AM
CrazySC300
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by attzor
got it out, wasn't as bad as I expected, a 3/8ths socket fit just fine and with my pops holding the crank pully still, it was done in 5 mins.
You didn't have to mess with or remove anything in the interior (i.e Shifter and center console) when you removed the transmission right?
Old 06-04-10, 08:04 AM
attzor
Lead Lap

you kind of do, to get the O2 sensors out with out damaging them, I went in and unplugged them, just incase.
Old 06-04-10, 10:56 AM
attzor
Lead Lap

Ok so I have the trans all lined up, semi bolted on, before hand, I lined up the torque converter bolt holes with the flex plates, now they aren't lined up. Does anyone have any suggestions on lining these up? and is there anyway to spin the torque converter from the outside of the trans?
Old 06-04-10, 08:10 PM
attzor
Lead Lap

Ok I got the torque converted all lined up, but 2 of the 6 bolts refuse to go in, I tried everything, the bolts just refuse to go into the final 2 holes, its not the bolts themselves, its the hole, it just feels too small, anyone have any ideas why the final 2 holes wont take the bolts?

Quick Reply: Need some help quick: Transmission removal