Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Rear End very unstable after rim & tire change

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-18, 06:03 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Received 1,197 Likes on 830 Posts

An out of balance wheel may cause vibration but in no way shape or form will it cause the car to act the way you're describing it.
The following users liked this post:
Vitamin-SC (02-13-18)
Old 02-13-18, 05:33 PM
Vitamin-SC
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RudysSC
An out of balance wheel may cause vibration but in no way shape or form will it cause the car to act the way you're describing it.
"I didn't think so"It would go against anything that's normal "but"? Anyway the best description would be an under inflated tire as I said ,I'm gonna get the used tires off the rear for starters ,being they are the Directional patterned and the front are asymmetric all season and they seemed to be cupped in the center, my hope is that they are tracking different that the front causing the problem
gonna get the mounted and balance this weekend a will post results for future reference
Old 02-14-18, 06:46 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

In for results. Cupping will cause some issues all on its own, but if you're going through all the hassle throw an alignment in the mix for good measure too.
Vitamin-SC (02-14-18)
Old 02-14-18, 08:46 PM
BlackIRON
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I honestly would recommend a good 4 wheel alignment. I could truly feel the difference going from the 16" stocks to used 17 tires and the rear of my car on rainy days would just pull left harder the more id accelerate. sometimes left too. Had a rebalance and all done at sears and the issue seemed completely gone. I understand your tire scenario and wish you luck!
Vitamin-SC (02-15-18)
Old 02-15-18, 12:19 PM
Vitamin-SC
Driver

Update got the car off the ground and the front lower control bushings are just about gone could this attribute the the rear sway
I'm going to address this as well, again I've only had the car a year and expected the bushings would need replacement
Old 02-15-18, 12:22 PM
Vitamin-SC
Driver

Old 02-15-18, 01:02 PM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Beautiful car - glad you found the culprit! Make sure to inspect rear bushings and arms thoroughly as well.
Vitamin-SC (02-15-18)
Old 02-18-18, 11:56 AM
GordonDET
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As mentioned above an alignment should help.

I had something similar happen with my 92 sc400 about 4 years ago. Driving home in the rain and the rear end felt like it was swimming. Got an alignment and the problem went away for a couple years.

It started happening again and the shop suggested a wheel bearing may be going out, a wheel had some side to side play. Had the bearing replaced, which was a mistake because it turns out it was fine. The real problem ( I figured it out myself ) was the right rear wheel toe control arm ball joint had gone bad, replaced the arm and all was well.

About a month ago it started happening again. The left side one had died. Ordered another arm in and replaced it. All fixed. Now I'm waiting for the other ball joints to start to go. .

Oddly enough the first one went out a few months after I upgraded to IS350 18" staggered rims as well. Different stress from a different angle on an old suspension I would assume. Also the old 16" wheels with plenty of rubber are very forgiving, lot more stress / impact with lower profile tires and a larger rim.

Last edited by GordonDET; 02-18-18 at 12:02 PM.
Vitamin-SC (02-19-18)
Old 02-20-18, 05:07 PM
Vitamin-SC
Driver

Originally Posted by GordonDET
As mentioned above an alignment should help.

I had something similar happen with my 92 sc400 about 4 years ago. Driving home in the rain and the rear end felt like it was swimming. Got an alignment and the problem went away for a couple years.

It started happening again and the shop suggested a wheel bearing may be going out, a wheel had some side to side play. Had the bearing replaced, which was a mistake because it turns out it was fine. The real problem ( I figured it out myself ) was the right rear wheel toe control arm ball joint had gone bad, replaced the arm and all was well.

About a month ago it started happening again. The left side one had died. Ordered another arm in and replaced it. All fixed. Now I'm waiting for the other ball joints to start to go. .

Oddly enough the first one went out a few months after I upgraded to IS350 18" staggered rims as well. Different stress from a different angle on an old suspension I would assume. Also the old 16" wheels with plenty of rubber are very forgiving, lot more stress / impact with lower profile tires and a larger rim.
Are you reffering to the rear lower arm
you remember part number or did you go aftermarket
Old 02-22-18, 07:05 AM
GordonDET
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

48710-24020

I got the second one from www.lexuspartsnow.com . They seemed to have the best price when I looked, about 130 shipped. Some companys do make an aftermarket pair you can get, fully adjustable, etc. Most aftermarket ones are made in china and seem cheap IMO. I figure my factory ones lasted 25 years so why not pay a bit more for factory.

Not hard to install yourself. no special tools needed other than a torque wrench. If you install them your self its easier to pull the exaust hanger bracket that will be in your way rather than pulling the rubber hanger.

That is if this is your problem. I think I found a guide in a thread on this site somewhere.