Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Sc300 misfire - need new distributor

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-18, 12:58 PM
phphung
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sc300 misfire - need new distributor

Hey guys,

So my 1995 MT SC300 has been having rough idle/ misfires so bad it shakes the car ONLY when parked outside in the cold until it is warmed up. If i park it in my garage, my car will start and drive no problem. I figured it might be the distributor timing that is off and I also saw an oil leak in the distributor so the shaft must've gone bad. I replaced the O-ring, Cap, and rotor not long ago too.

Do you guys think this is the problem? and what's the OEM brand of distributors? Rock auto only has Spectra and Cardone branded distributors.
Old 02-07-18, 11:41 PM
Brucelee28
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My car has similar cold start issues until its warm then it's fine, but could also be the fact I have a harden rubber megan transmission mount as well. I did all the maintenance like oil-ring, cap and rotor recently as well. Car seems to lose a bit of power and lags a bit but mines doesn't stutter but my idle seems kinda weak. I just placed an order for a new distributor because I just got a P0340 code after a timing belt change so it's just weird timing that popped up or could be because of something with the timing. We'll have to see. Hopefully I can help solve your issue when I put my new distributor in next week. I just bought mine off Amazon. The cheapest they had going for like $70 ish dollars.
Old 02-08-18, 06:59 AM
mrmj2u
Advanced

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts

I had issues like that with my car. Last week I replaced my distributor and found that it had broken in half right where the o-ring is. This allowed oil to pass the o-ring and to get into the distributor itself. It also allowed it to leak oil in a really weird way.

Since replacing the distributor with a Cardone OEM remanufactured unit, I have not had any cold starting issues.

Last edited by mrmj2u; 02-09-18 at 04:47 PM.
Old 02-09-18, 04:39 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

^^ mrmj2u is right. The best fix is to get a new distributor or good reman unit. A1 Cardone is a good company for remans.

I'll just throw this out there since I am about to get rid of it: if you want an old but good OEM distributor to test with before buying a new or reman unit I'll be happy to give you one I have on hand. It is OEM, 238k miles and may possibly have a tiny leak but I don't think it does. I replaced the O-ring and I think I put a new spare cap and some good OEM rotors in its box. I wasn't getting misfires with it before I pulled it out to diagnose an issue I later learned it was not related to. Use it or use it as a core to send in for a reman unit.

If you happen to be in L.A. you can have it free if you wish. Send me a PM if you want it. I would otherwise be giving it to Autozone (if they even take these in for remans) or trashing it.

However the best fix is of course a new OEM or reman unit. The OEM brand is just Toyota. Cheapest you can get them for is ordering that part number overseas from Amayama and waiting for it to arrive. The A1 Cardone and other remans are simply OEM Toyota originals that have been reworked back to spec.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 02-09-18 at 04:44 PM.
Old 02-20-18, 06:07 PM
phphung
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update:

I replaced my distributor, the problem still persisted. I changed my spark plugs 8 months ago, but not my spark plug wires so i decided to do my wires. I checked my plugs when i did my wires and the gap was out of spec for all 6 (all 6 were at .053") despite the fact that I gapped them to .043 when I put them in. Changing the spark plugs and wires seemed to do the trick, but sometimes I still feel misfire, but not as bad and I dont stall anymore. There is a deeper underlying problem I am trying to diagnose still