Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Intermittent starting problem on my 1992 SC300 . . . . .

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-17, 01:23 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Intermittent starting problem on my 1992 SC300 . . . . .

Gotta love these problems that are kind of random . . . .

1st off, car is a stock 1992 SC300, 5 speed manual, 102,000 miles on it. Always well maintained, rock solid reliable, owned by one old guy, garage kept, weekend use until 2012, owned by me since then. Car has sat under a carport since 2012, and yes critters can get to it and cause problems, but no sign of that as of yet.

Anyways, my problem started on Sunday, it was kind of cold all day sunday, high of about 40. Went to get gas, popped the gas lid, realized I was on the wrong side, Moved car around with the gas cap open, left keys in the car while I gassed it up. Go to start car, it doesn't start. Turns over, sounds like it isn't getting fuel, as after 1-2 seconds the cranking sound changes, like all the fuel in the fuel rail has been squirted out, keeps cranking for another 4-5 seconds, won't turn over. I stop, pause 10-15 seconds, try it again, once again, it turns over, cranks, sounds like it isn't getting fuel.

My thinking was that I somehow fuzzed out the factory alarm/security system by driving with the gas door open or leaving the keys in the car. Open and close the door, cycle the locks on the door button, what do you know it fires up with just a bump of the key, rev it a bit, sounds fine. Car runs normally all the way home, I beat on it a bit, it runs fantastic. Get home, turn it off, it does this same bull****, doesn't want to start, same sound. After letting it rest for about 10-15 seconds, it fires right up.

Pop the hood, notice a bit of corrosion on the positive battery terminal. Seems like the corrosion was just on the lead, the terminal itself was really damn clean. Cleaned it, car started up no problem. Drove it across town later that day, once again car started twice again, once with the engine cold, another with it warm no problem.

Monday, decide I want to drive it to work. Had to move it to blow leaves off the driveway, it started up just fine both times. Monday was a bit warmer, temps in the 57-63 degree range during the day. When I leave work around 10:30pm, its a bit colder like 45 degrees maybe, not real cold though. Once again, started the car with the door open, cranked it for 2-3 seconds, didn't want to start. Closed the door, fired right up. Makes me think something with the alarm system.

So I'm thinking this intermittent problem is lack of fuel.

My other thinking is some sort of electrical/wiring problem with the fuel pump.

Or its the factory alarm. I know some cars, the alarm system can disable the fuel pump.

Or it could be the switch which requires you to push in the clutch. I know sometimes I've pushed the clutch in far enough to engage the switch, turn the key and let up slightly on the clutch before the engine fires and it won't start until I push the clutch all the damn way to the floor again.

Does my 1992 SC300/5 speed have an anti-theft system on it which could cut out the fuel pump???? This is my line of thinking, since the problem is intermittent.

If I do have a failing fuel pump, my thinking is it would just all the sudden not work. I know on an old junker Buick I had when I was 17, it made the same sound as my Lexus, fuel wasn't getting to the engine. It had a bad fuel pump, my mechanic diagnosed the problem with a golf club. Car came in on a flat bed, he tried to start it, no luck. Took out an old golf club, gave the fuel tank a damn hard whack, car started right up.
Old 12-12-17, 06:42 AM
mrmj2u
Advanced

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts

When you turn your key to the ON position, do you hear the fuel system start to prime?
You should hear a very slight hum from the rear of the car and you should hear fuel moving through the fuel rail from the engine bay.
Old 12-12-17, 09:35 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

^ I tried listening for that fuel pump hum, and I think I hear it, I know in some of my other cars you could hear it clear as day when you turned the key. Heck there's so much sound insulation and stuff in this car its very hard to make out. Maybe I need to open the trunk and listen for it.

Anyways, does my 1992 have an anti-theft system that could potentially shut down the fuel pump or screw with the car not starting??? I swear cycling the door locks with the button on the door got it to fire up that one time.
Old 12-13-17, 06:51 AM
mrmj2u
Advanced

My car is acting up now also... This morning I went out to start the car and it cranks but won't start... I'll try the closed door thing. I believe that the alarm in the '92 has a starter immobilizer, so since it is cranking its probably not the alarm.
Old 12-15-17, 08:05 AM
mrmj2u
Advanced

Yeah verified it last night, got in the car closed the door and the car cranked right up...
Old 12-15-17, 05:43 PM
1jzsam
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hopefully you're not dealing with an immobilizer issue, I know from my e36 experience that solving a security system issue can be annoying. My brother's e36's immobilizer disallows the starter to crank, rather than the fuel pump. Check all your relays of course, and maybe look into bypassing the immobilizer? Best of luck