Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Loss of acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-17, 01:10 PM
VegasBuilt
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loss of acceleration

New Catalytic converters.
I thought the cats were clogged due to the loss of power, I find out they were completely trashed. So I replaced them with new cats and yet there is still loss in power. They heat up and glow orangr-red still. I did my research and it could be fuel injectors, cap and rotors, spark plug gap or two other major problems that you'd be able to tell as soon as you turn the engine on. She idels smoothly and sounds in great condition. But there is still loss of power.
Does anyone know of my problem or have had the same issue and knows what I should do???
Old 10-17-17, 08:21 PM
1997Soarer
Instructor

Received 148 Likes on 117 Posts

Sounds like your car is still running rich. Now whether that is because it's getting too much fuel or not enough spark, we don't know.

Start by replacing the other items on your list. I'd start first with both distributor caps & rotors, new wires (yours are probably way overdue to be replaced) and new plugs.

If that doesn't solve your issues, then it's the injectors.
Old 10-19-17, 04:26 PM
JoeBlob
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by VegasBuilt
New Catalytic converters.
I thought the cats were clogged due to the loss of power, I find out they were completely trashed. So I replaced them with new cats and yet there is still loss in power. They heat up and glow orangr-red still. I did my research and it could be fuel injectors, cap and rotors, spark plug gap or two other major problems that you'd be able to tell as soon as you turn the engine on. She idels smoothly and sounds in great condition. But there is still loss of power.
Does anyone know of my problem or have had the same issue and knows what I should do???
Mine was doing the same thing on a long trip. I had one coil wire burn out so I was basically running on 4 cylinders and had NO power.
You may not be as severe but I would at least do plugs, caps, rotors and wires. Cheaper and easier than digging into the fuel system and it needs to be done regularly anyway

Last edited by JoeBlob; 10-19-17 at 04:30 PM.