Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Intermittently speedometer and odometer

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-17, 01:54 PM
SupraTurbo
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Intermittently speedometer and odometer

A few days ago I noticed that my speedometer and odometer works intermittently and whatever it is, the issue is related since both do not function at the same time. This is not to be confused with the common burnt out needle problem. Haven't looked into it, but my guess a speed sensor? Thanks.
Old 10-09-17, 04:18 PM
Durrby
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

I have the same problem. It happened a few years ago and no one was able to figure it out at face value without digging deeper into in.

At first it would only happen on really hot days and after the interior would cool down with the ac it would come back on. Then winter came and it wouldn't work until the interior warmed up, weird I know.

I ended up buying a used cluster from another '99 400 with almost the same mileage. No issues for about 2 years then recently the same thing happened. Although this time whether hot or cold now it virtually never works. Rarely it will come on for a few minutes then it goes out again. When it does come back on the needle just bounces back from 0 to the speed I'm going none stop and just flashes the odometer when that happens.

Not sure if it's a speed sensor issue (what I thought at first) since after I replaced the cluster it did work fine for about 2 years +/-.

I too would like to know what the problem is. When I asked here a few years ago no one knew.
The following users liked this post:
SupraTurbo (10-10-17)
Old 10-09-17, 05:29 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

This is the long answer to why it fails when you're using it a while, and a suggestion to how to find it if you're willing.

http://www.electro-tech-online.com/t...ooting.139250/

Assuming you are, otherwise you wouldn't be asking and you'd just replace the cluster. Therefore, that's why and how.
Old 10-09-17, 08:24 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

Experiencing this with my '97 SC300. Coincidence? Maybe!
Old 10-09-17, 09:59 PM
lilbetty3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im experiencing my tach and speedo working intermitantly just started also.
Old 10-10-17, 06:31 AM
mrmj2u
Advanced

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts

Smack the dashboard above the cluster.
Happens to my car all the time, one good smack and the needles pop up and work correctly. I've read that the motors stick sometimes.
Old 10-10-17, 07:58 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Different issue than a sticking motor when they both do it. Always likely 1 is sticking and the other failing electrically though so might half help.
Old 10-10-17, 12:29 PM
SupraTurbo
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Durrby

I have the same problem. It happened a few years ago and no one was able to figure it out at face value without digging deeper into in.

At first it would only happen on really hot days and after the interior would cool down with the ac it would come back on. Then winter came and it wouldn't work until the interior warmed up, weird I know.

I ended up buying a used cluster from another '99 400 with almost the same mileage. No issues for about 2 years then recently the same thing happened. Although this time whether hot or cold now it virtually never works. Rarely it will come on for a few minutes then it goes out again. When it does come back on the needle just bounces back from 0 to the speed I'm going none stop and just flashes the odometer when that happens.

Not sure if it's a speed sensor issue (what I thought at first) since after I replaced the cluster it did work fine for about 2 years +/-.

I too would like to know what the problem is. When I asked here a few years ago no one knew.
Yep, that's exactly what I am seeing. Hopefully more can chime in... thanks.
Old 10-10-17, 06:09 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SupraTurbo
Yep, that's exactly what I am seeing. Hopefully more can chime in... thanks.
And I as well. Appears Tanin Auto has a page for it.
Old 10-11-17, 06:25 AM
mrmj2u
Advanced

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
Different issue than a sticking motor when they both do it. Always likely 1 is sticking and the other failing electrically though so might half help.
I completely read odometer and thought tachometer...
My bad guys.
Old 10-12-17, 07:56 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Shipping my cluster off to Tanin today; can't stand going '0' any longer!
Old 10-12-17, 11:03 AM
SupraTurbo
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by ThomasGS4
Shipping my cluster off to Tanin today; can't stand going '0' any longer!
Seems like it would be cheaper to source a used cluster instead?

Going to swap friends '97 cluster in and see if that is the issue. Will update.
Old 10-12-17, 03:48 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

I'd rather just have it fixed. It's hard enough finding '97 5spd parts as is.

Last edited by ThomasGS4; 10-12-17 at 08:58 PM.
Old 10-12-17, 03:54 PM
mrmj2u
Advanced

If you get another used cluster at $350 then it’s only a matter of time before that cluster dies. You’re much better off having the cluster repaired, which should extend the life by years.
Old 10-12-17, 05:43 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

It's a good theory, in theory..... (LOL). Problem is most repairs are done with 85 degree caps instead of 105 degree caps. Toyota used Nichicon caps which are about as good as you can get. Those are what end up failing eventually as the heat over the years affects the dialetric plates. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dielectric

Those who do say they replace with 105 degree caps use random 105 caps, not nichicon. I'd rather have original Nichi's over new 105's that are anything but. Timeframe on death is about the same given the nichi's are halfway through life and the new ones are new.

So who would I trust to do it? Nobody. Open the cluster, log what caps are there and what they are, order new Nichi's and DIY. Above was explained clearly in the link I put up what fails and why, OP isn't interested, so I'll follow through for others with the issue. I probably have a 97 cluster somewhere. I'll look and see so I can make a list of whats in it. I did probably 10k posts about the internals on the pre-97 cluster, but haven't been in the 97+ as many times or I'd know all the caps off hand. 90% of all failures in electronics on this car are capacitor related. Given they are majorily 92-95 SC's that's over 20 years old so mileage plays a huge factor. Use them too little, they dry out. Use them too much they wear out.

Quick Reply: Intermittently speedometer and odometer