Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Intermittently speedometer and odometer

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-17, 09:36 AM
SupraTurbo
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasGS4
I'd rather just have it fixed. It's hard enough finding '97 5spd parts as is.
Definitely understandable for a '97 5 speed.

Originally Posted by mrmj2u
If you get another used cluster at $350 then it’s only a matter of time before that cluster dies. You’re much better off having the cluster repaired, which should extend the life by years.
I found a few for $100. Figured if it lasts a few years, works for me.

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
It's a good theory, in theory..... (LOL). Problem is most repairs are done with 85 degree caps instead of 105 degree caps. Toyota used Nichicon caps which are about as good as you can get. Those are what end up failing eventually as the heat over the years affects the dialetric plates. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dielectric

Those who do say they replace with 105 degree caps use random 105 caps, not nichicon. I'd rather have original Nichi's over new 105's that are anything but. Timeframe on death is about the same given the nichi's are halfway through life and the new ones are new.

So who would I trust to do it? Nobody. Open the cluster, log what caps are there and what they are, order new Nichi's and DIY. Above was explained clearly in the link I put up what fails and why, OP isn't interested, so I'll follow through for others with the issue. I probably have a 97 cluster somewhere. I'll look and see so I can make a list of whats in it. I did probably 10k posts about the internals on the pre-97 cluster, but haven't been in the 97+ as many times or I'd know all the caps off hand. 90% of all failures in electronics on this car are capacitor related. Given they are majorily 92-95 SC's that's over 20 years old so mileage plays a huge factor. Use them too little, they dry out. Use them too much they wear out.
Thanks for the link, but this does not look like a simple PnP and would be worth my time to get too involved in, not on these cars. Perhaps if there was a specific step by step write-up I'd look into it
Old 10-25-17, 02:53 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

Received my cluster back from Tanin and all is well again.
The following users liked this post:
TaninAuto (10-27-17)
Old 10-25-17, 06:00 PM
Durrby
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Shipping my cluster off to Tanin today; can't stand going '0' any longer!

Awesome, so the turn around time was under 2 weeks? Any hiccups with the process? I'm going to be out of commission for a few weeks with a double hernia surgery starting next Friday so I'm thinking it may be a good time to pull the cluster and send it in soon. Which way did you go about getting it back to them, USPS, UPS etc? Just trying to figure out what would be cheapest. Sorry for all the questions but since you literally just did it I figure I'd ask.

Also to be clear is this seemingly a 97-00 issue? It happened to 2 '99 clusters for me and yours is a '97. I don't think I've ever heard of this happening to any earlier year SC's.
Old 10-27-17, 06:03 AM
TaninAuto
Sponsor

Received 110 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Durrby
Awesome, so the turn around time was under 2 weeks? Any hiccups with the process? I'm going to be out of commission for a few weeks with a double hernia surgery starting next Friday so I'm thinking it may be a good time to pull the cluster and send it in soon. Which way did you go about getting it back to them, USPS, UPS etc? Just trying to figure out what would be cheapest. Sorry for all the questions but since you literally just did it I figure I'd ask.

Also to be clear is this seemingly a 97-00 issue? It happened to 2 '99 clusters for me and yours is a '97. I don't think I've ever heard of this happening to any earlier year SC's.
Hi, Tanin Auto Electronix here. The best way to ship to us is to use one of our shipping labels from UPS at our discounted rate. Find the link here:
https://row.ups.com/Ship/Ship/StandardShip

Remember too, packaging carefully so as to allow for spacing and padding around the cluster in the box. We have a great blog post on how to package if you have questions and we are available by phone from 9-5 Central time, Mon-Fri. You can always inbox us here as well any time!

Thanks and have a great day!
www.taninautoelectronix.com

Old 10-27-17, 06:04 AM
TaninAuto
Sponsor

Thank you so much for choosing TAE for your instrument cluster repair. Let us know if you ever need anything else in the future!

ThomasGS4 (10-28-17)
Old 10-28-17, 04:54 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

No issues whatsoever. Instructions were clear, communication was great, and the turnaround time was quicker than expected.
Old 10-29-17, 08:32 AM
Durrby
Instructor

No issues whatsoever. Instructions were clear, communication was great, and the turnaround time was quicker than expected.
Thanks, probably gonna pull mine later today.
ThomasGS4 (10-30-17)
Old 11-26-17, 01:41 PM
cbdbcbdb
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SupraTurbo
Definitely understandable for a '97 5 speed.

I found a few for $100. Figured if it lasts a few years, works for me.

Thanks for the link, but this does not look like a simple PnP and would be worth my time to get too involved in, not on these cars. Perhaps if there was a specific step by step write-up I'd look into it

Anyone know which capacitors or other components need to be replaced? I would like to have a try fixing this myself. I have replaced capacitors in other devices like computer monitors, tv's and appliances with decent success.

thanks.
Old 11-28-17, 05:39 PM
Durrby
Instructor

Got my cluster back from Tanin yesterday. Took a little longer than I anticipated but I also had the odometer correction service done as well as the speedometer/odometer fix. I figured I better compensate for the 3 years of mileage I had put on a replacement cluster I bought a few years back. Now my mileage is showing again and has a true reading, roughly. Thanks Tanin Auto!
Old 11-29-17, 03:40 AM
TaninAuto
Sponsor

Got my cluster back from Tanin yesterday. Took a little longer than I anticipated but I also had the odometer correction service done as well as the speedometer/odometer fix. I figured I better compensate for the 3 years of mileage I had put on a replacement cluster I bought a few years back. Now my mileage is showing again and has a true reading, roughly. Thanks Tanin Auto!
Thank you for choosing TAE for your cluster repair! We appreciate your business and hope that if you ever need anything in the future, you just let us know!

Old 12-02-17, 06:25 AM
cbdbcbdb
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by cbdbcbdb
Anyone know which capacitors or other components need to be replaced? I would like to have a try fixing this myself. I have replaced capacitors in other devices like computer monitors, tv's and appliances with decent success.

thanks.
No one knows?
Old 12-17-17, 05:20 AM
cbdbcbdb
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by cbdbcbdb
No one knows?
replaced cluster with an ebay used one from a 98. Speedo and odometer work! But overdrive is not working.. I have read that the 97 and 98 clusters are compatible and the gages work but the PRND section down the center has a 3rd gear. My 97 shifter only has L2D.

any ideas?
Old 07-24-20, 06:04 AM
JabobJeff
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This video explains the 3 simultaneous symptoms others have had and shows the process of how it’s fixed. Hope this helps everyone who may run into this issue.
3 issues are:

1. 1. speedometer not moving

2. 2. odometer digital display is blank

3. 3. shifting is erratic while trying to accelerate
Old 07-24-20, 01:46 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by JabobJeff
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uYo1dfH...
This video explains the 3 simultaneous symptoms others have had and shows the process of how it’s fixed. Hope this helps everyone who may run into this issue.
3 issues are:

1. 1. speedometer not moving

2. 2. odometer digital display is blank

3. 3. shifting is erratic while trying to accelerate
JabobJeff, you’ve posted this identically in several threads today.

Can you demonstrate that this fix works specifically on Lexus SC300 and SC400 gauge clusters? We really just have one of those three issues mentioned: gauge sticking.