Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

car wont crank at all dashboard lights off but indicators light still on

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-17, 09:07 PM
Thcamerang
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car wont crank at all dashboard lights off but indicators light still on

1998 lexus sc300 auto trans.

so my cars battery would die so i bought a used battery from my local pick a part i know the battery is good got it checked at autozne and they told me it was my alternator ... i order a new alternator ....meanwhile my a/c wasnt being used because it would make a noise whenever i would turn it on but one day i was parked waiting on my friend anyways i turned n the a/c and long story short my harmonic balancer (crank pulley) rubber deteriorated and gave out .... i got the new harmonic balacer and alternator in the mail and i replaced my alternator with a brand new on as well as the harmonic balancer i also changed out my rack and pinion because my old one was messed up (i doubt this has to do with the problem but just mentioning it since i did all this at the same time) back to topic my battery was still getting drained so i would unplug the positive battery connector and would just plug back in whenever i would use my car ... i was omw to the beach and my turn signals stopped working { btw i have a double dim stereo since i bought the car and its had engine noise since i bought it but never gave me a problem so then i didnt change or fixed the noise} when i parkd and shifted to "P" my car turned off and the dashboard went dark except for the indicator lights, i tried to turn it on neutral idk why i just tried but it still wouldnt turn over but i noticed when ever i would pass "(R)everse" the dashboard would light up but i obviously couldnt start the car in that gear. car still had power but wouldnt turn over. i was worried but i was at the beach so i unplugged the battery conector (+) and after 4 hours i was ready to go home ... the dashboard lit up like normal and the car turned on after plugging in the (+) connector on the first try but when i stopped for gas.., after i pumped gas and tried to turn the car on, my dashboard turned off again and showed only my indicator lights it hasnt turned on since i need help please i miss driving my baby..... so NEW ALTERNATOR GOOD BATTERY i even tried using jumper cables when my dad came to save my *** but it didnt work .... i havent officially checked my starte but i doubt thats the problem unless you guys think thts the problem which i probably should have checkd before i started checking relays lol ...whenever i turn the key to the on posistion (without cranking) i heard my starter relays make a couple of clicks ... cliick click click and so i thought that would be the problem but im seeking fellow sc300 or mechanics help thru here please any suggestion would be highly appreciate