Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Fuel Pump Issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-17, 11:43 AM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Fuel Pump Issues

1JZ single SC400, 440 cc injectors, map ecu piggyback.

So, the third fuel pump in the last 4 years has just gone out on me. Barely drive the car, maybe 8k miles in the last 4 years. I don't understand why my pumps keep going out? Has anyone else had this issue?

First pump was a stock SC400 pump, and car was only at 10 psi, so should have had plenty enough flow. I turned car up to 15psi and that pump went out. So I bought an aeromotive stealth 340 pump, and that lasted 3 weeks. It was whining since day 1 though, so must have been faulty from the factory. I changed that to the AEM 320 and has lasted me a couple years, maybe 5k miles. Seems a bit premature to me. The AEM I bought from Summit, to avoid getting a Chinese knock off.

What can keep causing pumps to fail? I haven't started the car in a few months, can that cause an issue? I don't use fuel additives, and the last time I replaced the pump, the inside of the tank was spotless, not dirty or rusty. I still use the fuel pump ecu (not bypassed). EDIT: Took rear seats and trim off and I have been running it bypassed. I went back and forth a few times and thought that my last configuration was not bypassed...

Any ideas or suggestions? What pump should I try now?

Thanks!

Last edited by LoveSCs; 09-24-17 at 08:39 AM. Reason: see crossout
Old 09-24-17, 08:45 AM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Pretty sure I found the culprit.... Apparently I did have the fuel pump ecu bypassed. I went back and forth a few times and apparently left it bypassed and thought it was not... Here is what the connection looked like:

Hopefully this is the cause, and remember: ALWAYS SOLDER YOUR CONNECTIONS!! I'm lucky it didn't overheat and start a fire.

After soldering the connection, the car still does not start, but am getting 12v at the connection, so pump is toast. I ordered a TT supra denso pump, so hopefully it lasts