Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Pass side valve cover leak, 94 SC300.............

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-17, 08:19 PM
Modenaro
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pass side valve cover leak, 94 SC300.............

Had a really good local shop do a a T belt, water pump, valve cover gaskets etc. on my 80k mi. 94 SC300 about 3000 miles ago.
I know these guys and they do excellent work. So am wondering what it could be?
The pass side valve cover gasket is leaking a bit and they are going to re-do the job next week.
My question is are there any trick's to these? Anything to look for? Some gaskets work better than others?
I supplied all the hard parts with OEM. But they supplied the gasket kit. It was a quality kit in the $100-$125.00 range.
(Thought the price was high as hell, but was a complete kit) Labor want bad so I didn't mention it......
(Could not tell if the gaskets needed to be replaced until it came apart.)
They are doing the work and replacing the gaskets free of charge. Just curious if this is a semi common issue on these?
Warped cover? Gasket manufacturer make much difference on these? Dumb bad luck? Any info would be great.........
Would hate for them to have to do this a 3rd time.

Thanks!

Last edited by Modenaro; 08-19-17 at 03:22 PM.
Old 08-18-17, 09:22 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

It's more likely the aftermarket gasket may have had some issue (not sure what though). Maybe they didn't coat the valve cover gaskets with a little oil before installing them (but that's very common knowledge) or possibly they didn't use the correct amount of FIPG ("Form In Place Gasket" made by Toyota) at the very front on either side of the cams. The TSRM shows exactly where to put the four dabs of FIPG when you are about to install the valve covers and torque down all the bolts in inch-lbs (NOT ft-lbs).

You cannot go wrong with the Toyota valve cover gaskets. I don't know the cost for them offhand but they aren't that expensive if you get them from a dealer that discounts a bit.

I did a set of these gaskets on my GE about four years ago to correct leaking and had not a single leak since. I did follow all the TSRM instructions to the letter, including those front dabs of FIPG before setting the covers on. There is no special trick and it's not really difficult. It's just a time consuming chore to take everything apart to get in there, do the procedure and put everything back together again.

As a last guess it's possible that something was bent or warped on the aluminum valve covers but that is extremely unlikely. Or maybe some excess old rubber gasket was left on? But even that isn't likely since you have to get all the old rubber off to get a good seal with the new gaskets. Also, there is a right gasket and left gasket. It's not the same for both sides.

Can you see where the leaking seems to be emanating from?

Last edited by KahnBB6; 08-18-17 at 09:25 PM.
Old 08-19-17, 05:13 AM
Modenaro
Driver

Its weaping on the outboard side on the pass side cover. I have done tons of valve cover gaskets. Cork, rubber, neoprene, o rings & never had an issue.
Probably just bad luck...... Glad I am not doing it. LOL LOL PITA on these........
Will probably supply an OEM gasket set. Just to make sure.

Last edited by Modenaro; 08-19-17 at 03:22 PM.
Old 08-19-17, 02:40 PM
KahnBB6

I would bring them the left and right OEM gaskets, yes.

It really isn't that difficult to do yourself if you're good with basic repairs. It is just time consuming with so many steps involved. It helps to have a garage so that you do not feel rushed to finish it all in one day (apart from making sure your valve covers are on again). Also, be mindful to get any excess old gasket or old FIPG out of the engine and NOT into the valvetrain & camshaft area.

It's a strange weep in that location. My guess would be that the aftermarket gasket is a little shorter in its vertical penetration of the valve cover gap/guide (since the gasket is supposed to go up into the guide very snugly and still have plenty of rubber to compress around the bottom of the covers). Upon compression the aftermarket gasket they used may not make a tight enough seal. OEM gaskets should do it.
Old 08-19-17, 03:17 PM
Modenaro
Driver

Thanks, I could do it. But don't want to do it. LOL LOL
Getting lazy in my old age. Paid once for the job so it's covered.
Will order the gaskets & see how it goes...............Thanks for all the info!

Last edited by Modenaro; 08-19-17 at 03:23 PM.
Old 08-19-17, 10:56 PM
KahnBB6

I completely understand not wanting to do it yourself if you don't have to. Good luck!
Old 08-21-17, 11:14 AM
Modenaro
Driver

" possibly they didn't use the correct amount of FIPG ("Form In Place Gasket" made by Toyota) at the very front on either side of the cams. The TSRM shows exactly where to put the four dabs of FIPG when you are about to install the valve covers and torque down all the bolts in inch-lbs (NOT ft-lbs)."

Searched around for the (4) FIPG spots. Do you have a link showing the spots? Did read 22 in lbs. Seems too low! Is that correct? 22 in lbs? Wow.....
Old 08-22-17, 12:54 PM
phphung
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Valve covers should be torqued very loose. I think 4-6 ftlbs at MOST. Possible leak could be from distributor O ring.
Old 08-22-17, 02:55 PM
KahnBB6

Originally Posted by phphung
Valve covers should be torqued very loose. I think 4-6 ftlbs at MOST. Possible leak could be from distributor O ring.
Yes. The distributor O-ring is a common culprit and not difficult to replace (although you must note the orientation of the rotor when removing and reinstalling-- use a grease pencil to mark the housing and rotor to make sure they line up upon reinstallation). It is a cheap o-ring to replace.

The valve covers, according to the TSRM, seem to be 78 inch-lbs for 2JZ-GE's but 48 inch-lbs for 2JZ-GTE's. I am not sure why I've read of two different inch-torque requirements in the service manual but 48 inch-lbs was definitely enough for my GTE. More than that was too much. When I torqued my GE valve covers I had no specific inch-lbs torque wrench but I kept it at no more than 4-5 ft-lbs as phphung points out since that's sort of close to the measurement Toyota wanted.

It may seem counter intuitive but they do not need much torque. They can't have zero torque so as not to seal but they don't need much.
Old 08-22-17, 04:15 PM
Modenaro
Driver

I replaced the dist o-ring 6 months ago. No leaks.
Definitely the back and side of the pass side valve cover.
There is a small 4 bolt hard to reach plate back there. Not sure what its called or what its function is?
That might also be leaking. (Just to let you know) Its dropping 1-2 drops of oil per week on the driveway.
Not a major leak, but do smell it at times on the exhaust manifold. So....... It needs to be fixed.
Going in next Tues............

Last edited by Modenaro; 08-22-17 at 07:17 PM.
Old 09-02-17, 02:06 AM
Modenaro
Driver

Turns out the OEM (but not Lexus / Toyota) gaskets were not quite as thick as the factory part. The shop is going to try and get some compensation from the vendor.
Happy ending on my part. ) Just passing this on.
Old 09-02-17, 02:40 AM
KahnBB6

I thought that might have been the issue! Thanks for confirming and glad to hear you got it remedied! Do you happen to know the brand of the aftermarket gaskets they used the first time around?
Old 09-10-17, 10:47 AM
Modenaro
Driver

I believe they they were "OEM replacement" ordered from WORLDPAC.