Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1UZ VVT-I Swap- Pics included

Old 08-11-17, 09:52 PM
BlueJ
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 1UZ VVT-I Swap- Pics included

Alright everybody this is either gonna be either a massive mistake or a pretty good idea, none the less, here are the details,
cars pictured below
I bought a 99 SC400 with 80K with some minor damage for a complete drive train swap to put into my 92 and just wanted before I delve into this
  1. Anyone have any tips for pulling out the motor and transmission, personally I'd like to pull the engine and transmission out without separating them
  2. Anyone know of anything I wouldn't have to swap? Because As of now I planned on pulling everysingle harness from one car into the other....
  3. Any opinion on which rear end I should stick with or if can even retain the 3.92? or do I have no choice but to go with the 99 3.26 because of fitment and ECU troubles?
  4. Any tips in general for this swap? Main reason I'm doing this is because of the amount of good things I've heard about VVT-I 1UZ, everyone I hear who has them loves them, and I just can't help feeling that the early 1UZ's lack a little more push...but that thing is eventually going back in when I make the mistake of going turbo manual 1UZ and not JZ
AND HERE ARE THE CARS
The 92
The 99 Donor Car...
Also anyone know if this diagram of the ECU's is accurate for the 92's and the 99's?
ECU Diagram
Old 08-12-17, 12:32 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,216 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueJ
Alright everybody this is either gonna be either a massive mistake or a pretty good idea, none the less, here are the details,
cars pictured below
I bought a 99 SC400 with 80K with some minor damage for a complete drive train swap to put into my 92 and just wanted before I delve into this
  1. Anyone have any tips for pulling out the motor and transmission, personally I'd like to pull the engine and transmission out without separating them
  2. Anyone know of anything I wouldn't have to swap? Because As of now I planned on pulling everysingle harness from one car into the other....
  3. Any opinion on which rear end I should stick with or if can even retain the 3.92? or do I have no choice but to go with the 99 3.26 because of fitment and ECU troubles?
  4. Any tips in general for this swap? Main reason I'm doing this is because of the amount of good things I've heard about VVT-I 1UZ, everyone I hear who has them loves them, and I just can't help feeling that the early 1UZ's lack a little more push...but that thing is eventually going back in when I make the mistake of going turbo manual 1UZ and not JZ
Wow... I think one forum member has done this swap recently but I know it's going to be a lot of electrical work among other things. A few features changed between 1992 and 1998+. The lighting stalk on the steering column, for instance, got a built in fog lamp switch beginning in 1995. That stalk assembly (or whatever part of the steering column it is attached to) has to be swapped over for instance.

The wiring harnesses will swap over but your body plug pinouts will be ever so slightly different between an early OBD1 non-VVT and the OBD2 VVT cars.

Also, unless the 1999 SC400 truly has non-reversable body/frame damage it is actually rarer than all SC300 5-speeds except the 1997 SC300 5-speeds.

However, parts for parts the 1UZ-FE VVT-i is a great engine and the A650E 5-speed automatic is pretty good compared to the old 4-speed automatic. The only the a stock 1UZ VVT engine isn't good for is forced induction since it has significantly thinner rods and slightly weaker ring lands than the earlier non-vvt 1UZ's. But it's hard to find fault with a reliable V8 that puts out 290hp and 300 ft-lbs of torque from the factory. From experience I'll say that the same engine and transmission with a very similar final drive ratio will scoot a much heavier LS400 with ease.

I am not experienced or studied in swapping over a 1UZ so I'll have to step back from your main questions and let someone with more knowledge help there.

However regarding your final drive ratio the diff pumpkin (carrier) is exactly the same mounting for all 92-00 SC's, all 91-00 Soarers, the entire GS (and Aristo) series until the 2JZ-GE was discontinued and all MKIV Supras except the 6-speed M/T models. Same diff pumpkins, just some used a slightly larger or slightly smaller companion flange.

The 98-00 SC400 with the 3.26 rear preserves the best fuel economy at cruising speed but if you wanted to you could use a 3.76 (Supra TT Auto) or a 3.92 for shorter gearing and faster acceleration at the expense of some top speed and fuel economy. Your speedometer would be thrown off using the VVT-i instrument cluster. I'm not sure if the ECU will care or not. If it does... I would guess it might affect the transmission shift points. With manual swaps we use either a Yellr Yellowbox speedo corrector or a Dakota Digital for the same purpose. I am not sure where the SC400 VVT-i gets its speed signal from. (Also, with manual swaps into VVT-i SC's there is some more electrical work needed to make the ECU happy and turn off the CEL for transmission shift solenoids.... but you don't sound like you want a manual swap).

I do not recommend you go to all of the trouble necessary to swap an SC400 VVT-i's drivetrain and electronics into a 1992 SC400 shell if you are going to take it all out later on to go with a turbo manual setup. I also don't recommend a 1UZ turbo setup unless you have a lot of fabrication skills, hookups and a deep wallet. It's still better, less expensive and more supported to go with any JZ engine for turbocharging.

However the early non-VVT 1UZ's can accept Eaton M-112 roots superchargers with some Australian conversion parts, an upgraded fuel system and an aftermarket programmable ECU.

I would restore the 1999 SC400 if you like it. Unless there is truly severe body damage that cannot be overcome it will be easier to do that than swap everything into the 1992 SC400. It's also easier to go with a W58 manual transmission swap on the 1992 SC400 than it is to do the same on the 1999 SC400. Also with the '99 model's bigger power numbers it would make more sense to swap a stronger CD009, R154, AR5 or even a Tremec T56 with Grannas Racing conversion bits into that thing.

Now my being not as versed on swapping 1UZ's I maybe proven wrong on some of my points but I don't think I'm too far off.

Those are two nice looking cars though. *IF* that '99 SC400 can in fact be repaired I think that is the best route to go with its drivetrain.
Old 08-12-17, 04:45 AM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

This swap should be straight forward, but I would think the 99 body/ frame is a little fresher than the 92, if anything id swap the good parts to the red car. At the same time I don't know if it's savage or what, but the swap shouldn't be hard and the toughest part of any would be the wiring.
Kahn has great points and info!!!
Old 08-12-17, 04:55 AM
BiGEZ
Instructor

Received 138 Likes on 114 Posts

Repair that 99 and enjoy it.
Old 08-12-17, 07:19 AM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BiGEZ
That's what I'm thinking. Even if it has salvage title etc... it's still a 99 with all the upgrades that came with it. The black SC doesn't look super clean either, so what's wrong with the 99? Body work? Assuming the other side is smashed in and we can't see it... There's only so many 99/00's made, it might be wiser to fix that up and leave it as is. Let's see some more pics of the red car. The best part of the 92 is easy inspections and you can mod to your hearts content. The 99 I'm sure wouldn't require much at 80K. Still need to do timing belt and what not soon on it unless it was already done. Cool project no matter which way you go, what's the interior like on the 99?
Old 08-12-17, 11:55 AM
BlueJ
Driver

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
Wow... I think one forum member has done this swap recently but I know it's going to be a lot of electrical work among other things. A few features changed between 1992 and 1998+. The lighting stalk on the steering column, for instance, got a built in fog lamp switch beginning in 1995. That stalk assembly (or whatever part of the steering column it is attached to) has to be swapped over for instance.

The wiring harnesses will swap over but your body plug pinouts will be ever so slightly different between an early OBD1 non-VVT and the OBD2 VVT cars.

Also, unless the 1999 SC400 truly has non-reversable body/frame damage it is actually rarer than all SC300 5-speeds except the 1997 SC300 5-speeds.

However, parts for parts the 1UZ-FE VVT-i is a great engine and the A650E 5-speed automatic is pretty good compared to the old 4-speed automatic. The only the a stock 1UZ VVT engine isn't good for is forced induction since it has significantly thinner rods and slightly weaker ring lands than the earlier non-vvt 1UZ's. But it's hard to find fault with a reliable V8 that puts out 290hp and 300 ft-lbs of torque from the factory. From experience I'll say that the same engine and transmission with a very similar final drive ratio will scoot a much heavier LS400 with ease.

I am not experienced or studied in swapping over a 1UZ so I'll have to step back from your main questions and let someone with more knowledge help there.

However regarding your final drive ratio the diff pumpkin (carrier) is exactly the same mounting for all 92-00 SC's, all 91-00 Soarers, the entire GS (and Aristo) series until the 2JZ-GE was discontinued and all MKIV Supras except the 6-speed M/T models. Same diff pumpkins, just some used a slightly larger or slightly smaller companion flange.

The 98-00 SC400 with the 3.26 rear preserves the best fuel economy at cruising speed but if you wanted to you could use a 3.76 (Supra TT Auto) or a 3.92 for shorter gearing and faster acceleration at the expense of some top speed and fuel economy. Your speedometer would be thrown off using the VVT-i instrument cluster. I'm not sure if the ECU will care or not. If it does... I would guess it might affect the transmission shift points. With manual swaps we use either a Yellr Yellowbox speedo corrector or a Dakota Digital for the same purpose. I am not sure where the SC400 VVT-i gets its speed signal from. (Also, with manual swaps into VVT-i SC's there is some more electrical work needed to make the ECU happy and turn off the CEL for transmission shift solenoids.... but you don't sound like you want a manual swap).

I do not recommend you go to all of the trouble necessary to swap an SC400 VVT-i's drivetrain and electronics into a 1992 SC400 shell if you are going to take it all out later on to go with a turbo manual setup. I also don't recommend a 1UZ turbo setup unless you have a lot of fabrication skills, hookups and a deep wallet. It's still better, less expensive and more supported to go with any JZ engine for turbocharging.

However the early non-VVT 1UZ's can accept Eaton M-112 roots superchargers with some Australian conversion parts, an upgraded fuel system and an aftermarket programmable ECU.

I would restore the 1999 SC400 if you like it. Unless there is truly severe body damage that cannot be overcome it will be easier to do that than swap everything into the 1992 SC400. It's also easier to go with a W58 manual transmission swap on the 1992 SC400 than it is to do the same on the 1999 SC400. Also with the '99 model's bigger power numbers it would make more sense to swap a stronger CD009, R154, AR5 or even a Tremec T56 with Grannas Racing conversion bits into that thing.

Now my being not as versed on swapping 1UZ's I maybe proven wrong on some of my points but I don't think I'm too far off.

Those are two nice looking cars though. *IF* that '99 SC400 can in fact be repaired I think that is the best route to go with its drivetrain.
Originally Posted by LEXXIUM
This swap should be straight forward, but I would think the 99 body/ frame is a little fresher than the 92, if anything id swap the good parts to the red car. At the same time I don't know if it's savage or what, but the swap shouldn't be hard and the toughest part of any would be the wiring.
Kahn has great points and info!!!
Yeah Kahn Never dissapoints with info, and your both completely right, however I couldn't care less about the car being salvage the problem really is the accident the 99 has been in..The car would need amazing body work to go back to what it once was...
And interms the more or less far future plas for my black SC, I'd like to hopefully one when I've got the time and resources, go turbo 92 1UZ with a CD009 trans on a EMU masters standalone ECU, but that's really not happening anytime, but that's why I'm keeping my 92 1UZ with 99k on it

Sorry for only posting that photo, I only one of that angle yesterday on my laptop, but here's the reason I"m using the 99 as a parts car....

Originally Posted by Biddles
That's what I'm thinking. Even if it has salvage title etc... it's still a 99 with all the upgrades that came with it. The black SC doesn't look super clean either, so what's wrong with the 99? Body work? Assuming the other side is smashed in and we can't see it... There's only so many 99/00's made, it might be wiser to fix that up and leave it as is. Let's see some more pics of the red car. The best part of the 92 is easy inspections and you can mod to your hearts content. The 99 I'm sure wouldn't require much at 80K. Still need to do timing belt and what not soon on it unless it was already done. Cool project no matter which way you go, what's the interior like on the 99?
Yeah the Black SC isn't very clean but it's definitely very salvageable in my case because of the amount of parts I have available, and from the photos (car hasn't arrived to my door yet) the interior looks pretty good, but as of now I'm going to try to keep my 92 interior, it's in pretty good nick and I prefer grey over the typical tan to be honest. And since the car will still be a 92, I'm emissions exempt despite having OBD-2

Last edited by BlueJ; 08-12-17 at 12:00 PM.
Old 08-13-17, 07:42 AM
Maserati
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Can i call dibs on those fog lights,both door weather stripping,and gold badges????

Last edited by Maserati; 08-13-17 at 07:47 AM.
Old 08-14-17, 04:59 AM
Returd
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I'd do a complete gut of the 99 and get the entire harness.

I'd get wiring diagrams and component locations for both cars and compare paying special attention to the sections under the dash. when you have the 99 harness out you can also compare wires at connectors. I suspect wiring at the fuse panel in the drivers kick panel will be a challenge.
Old 08-14-17, 08:41 AM
BlueJ
Driver

Originally Posted by Maserati
Can i call dibs on those fog lights,both door weather stripping,and gold badges????
Sure Lol, I'll begin parting it out after the swap is done hopefully, by any chance do you have any chrome or silver badges to trade??
Originally Posted by Returd
I'd do a complete gut of the 99 and get the entire harness.

I'd get wiring diagrams and component locations for both cars and compare paying special attention to the sections under the dash. when you have the 99 harness out you can also compare wires at connectors. I suspect wiring at the fuse panel in the drivers kick panel will be a challenge.
Exactly, I planned on parking the cars next to each other and swapping harness by harness to get it to be a full 99,
Old 08-14-17, 09:54 AM
Maserati
Advanced

Originally Posted by BlueJ
Sure Lol, I'll begin parting it out after the swap is done hopefully, by any chance do you have any chrome or silver badges to trade??

Exactly, I planned on parking the cars next to each other and swapping harness by harness to get it to be a full 99,

Hey Blue J yes i have an older set of gold badges if you want to trade for those
Old 08-14-17, 11:36 AM
BlueJ
Driver

Hey Blue J yes i have an older set of gold badges if you want to trade for those
I'll pm you the details for sure after I get what I need
Old 08-14-17, 02:07 PM
BiGEZ
Instructor

Received 138 Likes on 114 Posts

cars pictured below
I bought a 99 SC400 with 80K with some minor damage for a complete drive train swap to put into my 92 and just wanted before I delve into this .

Based my response off your comments about minor damage, lol.
The swap can be done just take you time since you will have both cars side by side.
Good luck with the project.
Old 09-04-17, 05:02 AM
Maserati
Advanced

Has the project started?
Old 09-04-17, 07:11 PM
BlueJ
Driver

Has the project started?
It has lol, I've got both engine and transmissions out and completely gutted both cars interiors and I've gotten literally every wire from my 92 out and every wire from my 99 back into my 92... literally every single harness, except the airbag system, I'm not even gonna put in the module for now....maybe never....
And I almsot forgot the HVAC system, that thing is ridicoulous... threw out my 92 HVAC system out of frustration from that thing, despite it working perfectly...kind of regret it now...
I'll post some photos tomorrow when I can
Old 09-05-17, 11:26 AM
Maserati
Advanced

Nice!! cant wait to see development. When will you start the part out?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1UZ VVT-I Swap- Pics included