Engine Vibration 1900-2200 RPM in Park - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion


Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Engine Vibration 1900-2200 RPM in Park

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-16-17, 08:56 AM   #1
drseth
Rookie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: VA - Virginia
Posts: 60
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Engine Vibration 1900-2200 RPM in Park

Hi,

​​​​​​My 1995 SC400, with 68k miles, has had intermittent vibration. I noticed it vibrating 1900-2200 RPM while revving the motor in park. Also, ehile passing another car, it felt kind of weird, not smooth, like my 1997 LS400. At steady speeds, it runs smooth, but I usually am light-footed on the gas, and use cruise control.

Any ideas what it might be? I have a transmission mount that has not been installed, but at idle, could it be a harmonic balancer or motor mounts?

Any help would be appreciated.

Seth Anderson
1997 LS400
1995 SC400
drseth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-17, 08:05 AM   #2
scsexy
Driver
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Montrose, Colorado
Posts: 180
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Default

I highly doubt its your harmonic balancer unless it has literally come apart and you can check this by seeing how the serpentine belt rides on it. If its groves to groves your good. if the belt side has groves facing the balancer and the balancer is flat than the grove piece has come off and while this actually happened to me its unlikely your problem.

I'd say motor mounts with 85% chance and transmission mount with 15% chance of being your problem.

If you have access to a lift and the tall jacks its not bad. I was able to do a motor mount in an hour by raising the engine just high enough to get the old one out and new one in.
scsexy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to scsexy For This Useful Post:
drseth (05-21-17)
Old 05-20-17, 09:29 PM   #3
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode
iTrader: (11)
 
SC400slide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NM/AZ
Posts: 3,808
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Rubber<entropy. Worn rubber is apart of the SC life, Get both transmission mount and engine mount(s) replaced
SC400slide is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SC400slide For This Useful Post:
drseth (05-21-17)
Old 05-21-17, 07:42 AM   #4
drseth
Rookie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: VA - Virginia
Posts: 60
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC400slide View Post
Rubber<entropy. Worn rubber is apart of the SC life, Get both transmission mount and engine mount(s) replaced
Is there much if any difference between factory Lexus mounts vs MTC or the performance Megan mounts?
drseth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-17, 07:48 AM   #5
drseth
Rookie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: VA - Virginia
Posts: 60
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsexy View Post
I highly doubt its your harmonic balancer unless it has literally come apart and you can check this by seeing how the serpentine belt rides on it. If its groves to groves your good. if the belt side has groves facing the balancer and the balancer is flat than the grove piece has come off and while this actually happened to me its unlikely your problem.

I'd say motor mounts with 85% chance and transmission mount with 15% chance of being your problem.

If you have access to a lift and the tall jacks its not bad. I was able to do a motor mount in an hour by raising the engine just high enough to get the old one out and new one in.
Are the high priced Lexus mounts worth the extra expense? I see some MTC mounts for under $50, and also see these Megan mounts for about the same price as the Lexus parts. I guess the Megan mounts use a harder rubber, but I just want a quiet, vibration-free ride.
drseth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-17, 05:39 PM   #6
BlackIRON
Driver
 
BlackIRON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 170
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

are the megan's mounts the best right now? or would actual lexus OEM parts feel like a smoother ride? i havent really read reviews on here about these mount differences. We should also do some LCA reviews too for aftermarket parts.
BlackIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
96 LS400 lurch into drive or reverse. Elless400 LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) 9 06-19-17 12:13 PM
What else to replace besides spark plugs Cathy RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) 10 03-20-17 04:21 PM
Resources in Houston for 1995 LS 400 lexuscharm North Texas Lexus Club 0 11-14-16 07:34 PM
Riddled with indecision - to sell or not to sell lexuscharm IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) 1 10-27-16 01:30 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:04 PM.


Copyright © 2000-2017 Internet Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: