Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Nissan LSD swap - Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-17, 06:20 AM
chnk
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Nissan LSD swap - Discussion

So I was browsing a Facebook sc300/sc400 group and someone had posted pictures of a successful Nissan LSD swap in his sc300. Considering these are plentiful and found in junkyards this is a worth while discussion.

everything below in quotes and the images are not mine.

"Story time....

So a long time ago I was trying to figure out how to buy an lsd, I had already ran a welded diff and it wasn't bad but I just didn't like all the nuances it had, and Toyota and aftermarket LSD were out of my price range. So I thought to myself what cars have lsd and are extremely plentiful...nissan/Infiniti. I then did research on ideas, dimensions, ratios, and potential strengths. Went to the local yard took a bunch of measurements on certain cars, priced everything up, planned and waited.

Half off at pick n pull came and I purchased a nissan VLSD along with axles and other odds and ends, it even had an aluminum aftermarket driveshaft all for $150.

I mocked everything up and took multiple measurements, fabricated a forward support bracket and an adapter plate, then took the aluminum driveshaft to have the length modified and an R154 appropriate trans yoke, which all cost approximately $200

I opened and reshimmed the VLSD filled it with fluid, $40 and then drove it like that for the past 2 years with as much as 600rwhp and never had a problem.

To clarify, the axles still kept the rear wheel bearings sealed.

Cons, due to certain dimensions my rear wheels were pushed out 4mm, minor machining of the rear rotors were needed and because I used the nissan axles I no longer had ABS rings in their appropriate locations, but I wanted to delete ABS anyways.

So that's my story, I still drive this LSD nice and hard, it's very predictable and if it breaks it is very cheap to replace."

Old 05-12-17, 07:24 AM
Deegee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

This is very interesting, I'm looking into different diff options for my car currently and this sparks some brain storming. It's interesting to see another affordable option.

P.S. Is that a blurred out ***** in the last picture?
Old 05-12-17, 08:19 AM
chnk
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Deegee
This is very interesting, I'm looking into different diff options for my car currently and this sparks some brain storming. It's interesting to see another affordable option.

P.S. Is that a blurred out ***** in the last picture?
im guessing he blurred out the ears.

I'm still waiting on him to respond back to me. I'm thinking he may have welded the ears off the toyota diff
Old 05-12-17, 08:51 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

Interesting if this is repeatable, though I'd still hang onto the stock SC diff and axles for future use though due to their known strength.

This fellow must have cut off the long mounting ears? I wish he'd mention which size Nissan differential pumpkin he's used. I'm guessing it's one from an Infiniti J30t or Pathfinder. I think these are known by the "R200" designator. VLSD's aren't the best but they're much better than open diffs. They do require regular VLSD fluid changes on schedule though. I'd want to know how this works out for him in long term use.