Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Cost to replace axle/axle shaft?

Old 04-22-17, 04:58 PM
phphung
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cost to replace axle/axle shaft?

My sc300 has been leaking diff oil recently. The seals and the RTV in the pumpkin have been replaced, but it has still been leaking. This leads to the shop thinking that the axle seal does not fit so the whole axle needs to be replaced. A used axle can be bought for $400 and thework will be another $400 for a grand total of $800. Is this correct?
Old 04-22-17, 05:48 PM
RXRodger
Instructor

Received 201 Likes on 156 Posts

Make sure the vent is not plugged up. Sometimes they plug and when heats up it pushes oil out. How bad is the leak?
Old 04-22-17, 07:46 PM
phphung
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RXRodger
Make sure the vent is not plugged up. Sometimes they plug and when heats up it pushes oil out. How bad is the leak?
it drips a bit. maybe 2-3 quarter sized puddles a day? What vent is this you're talking about? I'm pretty sure they said they couldnt find a seal big enough for the axle, which confuses me

Last edited by phphung; 04-22-17 at 07:54 PM.
Old 04-22-17, 08:26 PM
RXRodger
Instructor

Vent circled in red

Make sure it's not getting overfilled. You can buy a lot of oil for $800, I guess if it bothers you enough to have to add oil occasionally then proceed with getting it repaired. I get that, it would bug me too but that's a lot of expense for a small leak.

Last edited by RXRodger; 04-22-17 at 08:31 PM.
Old 04-22-17, 10:56 PM
phphung
Driver School Candidate

Vent circled in red

Make sure it's not getting overfilled. You can buy a lot of oil for $800, I guess if it bothers you enough to have to add oil occasionally then proceed with getting it repaired. I get that, it would bug me too but that's a lot of expense for a small leak.

so to make sure it's not plugged, just clean the area around the red circle? The only thing I'm scared about is since there's no way to gauge diff fluid level, it might run dry and mess everything up
Old 04-23-17, 02:28 PM
RXRodger
Instructor

Originally Posted by phphung
so to make sure it's not plugged, just clean the area around the red circle? The only thing I'm scared about is since there's no way to gauge diff fluid level, it might run dry and mess everything up
The gauge is the upper plug on the side of the diff. On level ground fill it until it runs out of it. That is your level indication. With regards to the vent, screw it out, make sure air can pass thru it, screw it back in and tighten it.

Old 04-24-17, 09:08 AM
phphung
Driver School Candidate

The gauge is the upper plug on the side of the diff. On level ground fill it until it runs out of it. That is your level indication. With regards to the vent, screw it out, make sure air can pass thru it, screw it back in and tighten it.

sounds good! Thanks for the pics. I'll check that when I get home tonight. Will I need to replace the seals again after clearing up the clogged breather plug? And if yes, is it something I can DIY relatively simply or should I bring t back to the shop? I have brought it to them twice and don't want to go a third time

edit: I have been trying to take out the breather by the nut part but I can't seem to remove it from under my car. Do I need to take the actual pumpkin out? Or is there any tips you suggest?

Last edited by phphung; 04-24-17 at 07:23 PM.
Old 04-26-17, 07:11 PM
RXRodger
Instructor

Originally Posted by phphung
sounds good! Thanks for the pics. I'll check that when I get home tonight. Will I need to replace the seals again after clearing up the clogged breather plug? And if yes, is it something I can DIY relatively simply or should I bring t back to the shop? I have brought it to them twice and don't want to go a third time

edit: I have been trying to take out the breather by the nut part but I can't seem to remove it from under my car. Do I need to take the actual pumpkin out? Or is there any tips you suggest?
You should be able to take a box end wrench and screw it out. It is probably going to be very tight and will take some effort. You don't have to take the diff out, so no to that question. The seals are going to be a pretty good job and if you don't have those skills and somewhere to do it I would suggest letting somebody else do that.
The following users liked this post:
Returd (04-27-17)