Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SC400 needs a new rad - recommendation please

Old 04-18-17, 11:44 AM
Returd
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default SC400 needs a new rad - recommendation please

So I'm owing to tackle the timing belt on my 92 SC400 in a couple of days. My rad is in okay shape but getting old and will likely need replacement in the next year. Looks original so it doesn't owe me anything.

Since I'll likely pull the rad for the timing belt, this would be a good time to change.

Not doing any power adders or any need for greater than stock cooling.

I'm looking for a good quality rad, not the cheapest, not the fanciest but the best value. I'll spend a little more for a good quality rad that will last over the absolute cheapest.

So where should I look?

thanks
Old 04-18-17, 07:33 PM
RXRodger
Instructor

Received 201 Likes on 156 Posts

Rock Auto has the same brands that Auto Zone, Orieilly, Advance, etc have and its much less expensive. I have bought a couple there for the SC's I have in addition to one for an RX and they have all done well.
The following users liked this post:
Returd (04-18-17)
Old 04-18-17, 09:28 PM
Returd
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RXRodger
Rock Auto has the same brands that Auto Zone, Orieilly, Advance, etc have and its much less expensive. I have bought a couple there for the SC's I have in addition to one for an RX and they have all done well.
I see RA has Denso, OSC, Spectra, and APD pro (in order of least to most expensive). Are they in order of quality also? Any suggestion on which to get/avoid?
Old 04-19-17, 03:34 PM
Yohan84
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just did mine last month. I just want to Autozone and got the Spectra radiator its ok it fits good and I didn't have to mod anything.
Old 04-19-17, 05:06 PM
RXRodger
Instructor

Received 201 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Returd
I see RA has Denso, OSC, Spectra, and APD pro (in order of least to most expensive). Are they in order of quality also? Any suggestion on which to get/avoid?
Man I just picked a middle of the road one on there and saved 1/2 what Autozone wanted for the same thing. Quality is sufficient.
Old 04-19-17, 06:19 PM
Returd
Intermediate

I ordered the APD from rockauto. I'll report when I receive/install. Cheaper than buying locally
Old 04-19-17, 06:28 PM
LoudonMan
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Take to Radiator Shop

Originally Posted by Returd
I ordered the APD from rockauto. I'll report when I receive/install. Cheaper than buying locally
I know Radiator shhops are hard to find anymore. But if yours is not crushed or rotted out, Have a shop quote a price. It's all copper.
Old 04-19-17, 09:45 PM
Returd
Intermediate

It's not an original rad but it is brass tanks however there's 4-5 verticals cracks in the top tank that have been soldered. When I left Ontario 3 weeks ago it looked passable but now after crossing the continent it's looking weepy in a few spots is it's time to replace.

there's a few things I'll take a chance on but a rad blowout in the middle of nowhere doesn't sound like fun.

If I was at home with my shop I'd go nuts and pull the nose off, do the headlights. Replace the rad and totally refurb the ac along with my planned timing belt job. As it is I'll be doing the timing at a friends place and don't want to overstay my visit so it's new rad and timing belt.
Old 05-09-17, 04:25 PM
Returd
Intermediate

The replaced rad may have indeed been original. The Rock Auto version I got is aluminum with plastic tanks. There were 4 versions available with about a $40 span from cheapest to most expensive. I went with expensive. Rad went in without issue.