Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Air intake piping is cracked

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-17, 01:15 AM
booga
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Air intake piping is cracked

I have seen BFE DIY, which i will do eventually.
My air intake pipe is cracked where it connects to the intake manifold. (See picture where duct tape is)

This is causing stalling coming to a stop. Rough idle, sputtering, hesitation when accelerating. Sometimes I also get smoke coming out of the exhaust with strong smell of raw unburnt fuel.

I have seen the Air intake kits on ebay. Is it possible to replace my plastic intake pipe with the aluminum pipe from the ebay kit? Is it a direct replacement for the stock, or are the measurements different?

The intake pipe I want to use is pictured below:

Last edited by booga; 05-16-17 at 10:40 PM. Reason: add more details (picture)
Old 04-18-17, 05:07 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,216 Likes on 854 Posts

An OEM stock rubber intake pipe is your best option believe it or not. There are at least two part numbers for one of these: one for the SC300 (and also GS300?) and another for MKIV Supra NA's. Both numbers reference identical physical designs.

A bolt-in aftermarket intake kit made for the SC300 and MKIV Supra NA will work just fine but since you're in California you should probably get the short ram intake from Injen... solely because it has that all-important CARB E.O. number stamped onto its side. It's no different from or better than other SC/GS/MKIV ebay intakes for the 2JZ-GE engine that accommodate your factory MAF assembly but the little number on the side means it is "better" and "legally okay" compared to nearly all identical generic ebay intakes in the eyes of your smog inspector and the ARB. The only downside is its price so definitely shop around online for a deal if you're considering one.

However an OEM rubber intake with the stock airbox is still the best setup. More resistance to heat soak with rubber vs metal and air is still drawn from outside the engine bay rather than from inside it.
The following users liked this post:
booga (05-16-17)
Old 05-08-17, 11:18 AM
booga
Pole Position

Thank you @KahnBB6 for the reply. Sourcing a stock intake is proving to be more money and hard to find. But I will go that route.

The reason that I am looking to replace the intake in the first place is what i did not mention. I was told that with the cracked intake, the air drawn into the engine may not go past the MAF which may be the reason for the hesitation at acceleration, rough idle, stalling, and smell of unburnt fuel at a stop.

Is there a thread which discusses this?

Thank you.

​​​​​​​
Originally Posted by KahnBB6
An OEM stock rubber intake pipe is your best option believe it or not. There are at least two part numbers for one of these: one for the SC300 (and also GS300?) and another for MKIV Supra NA's. Both numbers reference identical physical designs.

A bolt-in aftermarket intake kit made for the SC300 and MKIV Supra NA will work just fine but since you're in California you should probably get the short ram intake from Injen... solely because it has that all-important CARB E.O. number stamped onto its side. It's no different from or better than other SC/GS/MKIV ebay intakes for the 2JZ-GE engine that accommodate your factory MAF assembly but the little number on the side means it is "better" and "legally okay" compared to nearly all identical generic ebay intakes in the eyes of your smog inspector and the ARB. The only downside is its price so definitely shop around online for a deal if you're considering one.

However an OEM rubber intake with the stock airbox is still the best setup. More resistance to heat soak with rubber vs metal and air is still drawn from outside the engine bay rather than from inside it.
Old 05-08-17, 03:39 PM
Luxor
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

You can buy that part from your local dealership.
The following 2 users liked this post by Luxor:
booga (05-16-17), KahnBB6 (05-10-17)
Old 05-09-17, 04:54 PM
booga
Pole Position

Luxor,

Thank you for that info. I did not realize that the intake pipe was not one piece.

Originally Posted by Luxor
You can buy that part from your local dealership.
Old 05-10-17, 12:24 PM
KahnBB6

Originally Posted by booga
My air intake pipe is cracked where it connects to the intake manifold. (See picture where duct tape is)
I have seen the Air intake kits on ebay. Is it possible to replace my plastic intake pipe with the aluminum pipe from the ebay kit? Is it a direct replacement for the stock, or are the measurements different?

^^^ For anyone's reference, the above picture is of the OEM main rubber intake pipe for 1992-1997 SC300 models. Part number #17881-46080... which may be discontinued now. I believe 1998-2000 SC300 VVT-i's have a different part number. The pre-VVT-i GS300's may use a slightly different shape since their engine compartment is not the same. Supra MKIV NA's have the same shape engine compartment but used a slightly different shape with the same bends compared to the SC300's OEM rubber pipe... owing to a slightly different placement of their MAFs (I think).

A couple of years back I had a crack in one of the ribs in my OEM main rubber intake which led to the same rich running condition since unmetered air was being let into the intake and throwing off the ECU. I don't recall specifically any threads that discuss the issue (although I am sure they exist) but what you describe is right in line with a cracked intake section allowing in unmetered air. You may want to replace your spark plugs, cap, rotor and O2 sensors sooner than planned once you have it fixed. The longer it runs rich it will also affect the lifespan and efficiency of your #1 catalytic convertor but that does depend on just how long it's been running rich.

Good call on the small connecting pipe 17881-46100, Luxor! It does appear to still be available. If it were ever to go out of production it would be much easier to replace with a generic part.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 05-11-17 at 03:08 AM.
booga (05-16-17)
Old 05-10-17, 04:02 PM
booga
Pole Position

KahnBB6,
You will note that on the picture I uploaded which you quoted, there is a foil "nest" which I placed there to catch oil dripping from the distributor stem. That leak in turn dropped into the alternator below which eventually killed it recently. So the distributor was replaced, and the leak fixed.

I will get the connecting pipe which I found a few sellers online specializing in Toyota parts.

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
You may want to replace your spark plugs, cap, rotor and O2 sensors sooner than planned once you have it fixed. The longer it runs rich it will also affect the lifespan and efficiency of your #1 catalytic convertor but that does depend on just how long it's been running rich.
Old 05-11-17, 03:13 AM
KahnBB6

That leak from the distributor shaft will do it to your alternator. Expensive fix, that. Sorry you had to do that as well. I was in a rush and I admit I missed that when looking at your picture.

The connecting pipe will cure your air metering issue but it would be a good to take stock of your O2 sensors and spark plugs also. They will have been overworked for as long as that intake hose leak has been severe.
Old 05-11-17, 03:20 PM
mrmj2u
Advanced

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts

KahnBB6,
You will note that on the picture I uploaded which you quoted, there is a foil "nest" which I placed there to catch oil dripping from the distributor stem. That leak in turn dropped into the alternator below which eventually killed it recently. So the distributor was replaced, and the leak fixed.

I will get the connecting pipe which I found a few sellers online specializing in Toyota parts.
why'd you decide to replace the whole distributor and not just the o-ring?
Old 05-11-17, 11:54 PM
tzxlyd
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hate to jump in on someone else's thread but I have a slightly different problem -- my intake seems to be buckling inward and I do not understand how or why that could happen. Does anyone know that answer? The pic was taken a month ago and it is getting larger -- more sunken inward for some reason. There shouldn't be any heat in that area shouldn't there?
Attached Thumbnails Air intake piping is cracked-img_20170409_180007.jpg  
Old 05-13-17, 01:17 PM
booga
Pole Position

Mrmj2u,
In the course of troubleshooting this inconsistent air/fuel issue the distributor at some point was mentioned. In hindsight, i guess it was over-kill.

Originally Posted by mrmj2u
why'd you decide to replace the whole distributor and not just the o-ring?
Old 05-13-17, 01:18 PM
booga
Pole Position

From the picture you posted, it looks like a hot pipe is in contact with the plastic.

Originally Posted by tzxlyd
I hate to jump in on someone else's thread but I have a slightly different problem -- my intake seems to be buckling inward and I do not understand how or why that could happen. Does anyone know that answer? The pic was taken a month ago and it is getting larger -- more sunken inward for some reason. There shouldn't be any heat in that area shouldn't there?
Old 05-13-17, 04:50 PM
mrmj2u
Advanced

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts

Mrmj2u,
In the course of troubleshooting this inconsistent air/fuel issue the distributor at some point was mentioned. In hindsight, i guess it was over-kill.
That makes sense!
Old 05-14-17, 05:47 PM
Returd
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

self amalgamating tape is a better temporary material than duct tape. I've fixed a blown heater hose with it.
booga (05-16-17)
Old 05-14-17, 05:48 PM
Returd
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

The intake pipe I want to use is pictured below:

Nice hot air intake

Quick Reply: Air intake piping is cracked