Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SC400 mods on a college budget?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-17, 04:23 PM
IWANTVVT
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default SC400 mods on a college budget?

Hey guys, I just bought myself a 1992 SC400 and I really love the way it handles and drives, but I would love to make it even better. Problem is, I do not have a massive budget as I am a college student working part time for minimum wage, so any mods I do will have to be price conscious. The previous owner did a full catback exhaust minus two borla resonators the car sounds amazing, but I'd like an even deeper growl. It also has k&n air filters, LS400 brakes and Dragon Torque Converter which makes the car idle at 500 RPM. I'm not sure if I like that last one because while the car is more responsive, the engine really has to work to get into power. So if there is anything easy I can do to make some more down low torque to remedy that let me know or do you think I would be better off putting the stock one back in? The car has a stock air intake, and I'm debating whether or not its worth putting in a k&n one. Also debating long tube headers, but again I don't know if it's worth the money for the added performance. please let me know.The car is also about an inch higher than I would like, but I don't know if there's a reasonable priced solution to that. The steering is good, but could also be a bit tighter and have more feel to it. I'd also like to put in some LEDs if any of you know a good way to go about getting those. Finally, I'm sure there's a lot of ways that I haven't even thought about that could improve the car. These are the ones I'm most interested in knowing. Since I've bought the car all I've done to it is gotten a conventional high mileage oil change, and thrown on a set of 235 falken outside ziex ze 912 tires in the front and BF Goodrich g-force tAs 235s in the rear. Later this week I'm going to get an a
lignment l it is pulling pretty hard to the right. Thanks so much for your help and time!
my pride and joy
Attached Thumbnails SC400 mods on a college budget?-img_0230_d411f6c20abccdff7a2df4eb82afcd8e5f06cd58.jpg  

Last edited by IWANTVVT; 03-23-17 at 04:37 PM. Reason: Duplicate pic
The following users liked this post:
Rkscustoms (02-22-24)
Old 03-23-17, 05:03 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts

I'd recommend a couple things;

1. lifetime alignment (you're going to need to for #2).
2. since you're on a budget, piece together a good set of suspension components i.e. shocks, springs, sway bars, bushings etc.. difference is night and day