Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1995 SC400 with 67K miles. Time for Tune Up?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-17, 05:01 PM
drseth
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1995 SC400 with 67K miles. Time for Tune Up?

Hi,

Sorry to be such a forum hog, but I appreciate any information you can provide. I have this clean 1995 SC400 with 67K miles, but have no history from 35K to now. The car seems to run well, with new tires and a fresh oil change. There are a few minor things to fix (blown subwoofer, side mirror ECU, trunk struts, and passenger window motor), but am on the bubble whether to go ahead and do the following:

New sparkplug wires, sparkplugs, distributor cap/rotors, possibly new coils, and upstream O2 sensors. New ECT sensor and fuel filter is also on the list.

Also clean throttle body, spray MAF sensor with MAF cleaner. Anything else to include?

Sparkplugs: should I get Platinum or pay extra for Iridium? Leaning towards NGK or Bosch. I usually do not wait 100k miles to change plugs, so that is why I am thinking Platinum.

Any advantage to getting fancy wires, or just stick with OEM?
Old 03-06-17, 10:55 AM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

I can only caution you ... NOT to use MAF cleaner.

Salim
Old 03-06-17, 11:48 AM
drseth
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What was the problem using MAF cleaner? I am having a ***** of a time getting the intake off. I loosened the clamps, removed the 10mm bolt, then removed the small hose to IAC valve, and the small vacuum hose nipple broke off. I superglued it back together, with a piece of aluminum wire coated with grease to hold it together. Is the hose the one that runs to the power steering valve on the power steering pump that the valve fails, and sucks power steering fluid into the intake? White smoke on startup? Can I just plug it? On other cars, I have been able to access the throttle body butterflies by loosening clamps, but it doesn't seem to have any play, and with stuff already breaking, I am kinda spooked. I want to clean the throttle body, and later replace plugs and wires.
Old 03-06-17, 12:53 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 226 Likes on 206 Posts

The early MAFs don't take well to MAF cleaner.

That IAC hose is way too heavy duty for the brittle plastic barb once the hose starts hardening. I would recommend everyone put a silicone hose on in its place, before they have your experience.
Old 03-07-17, 07:39 AM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

With both ends fixed, you have to compress/slide the hose. As the rubber ages, it becomes less flexible. I have to undo both ends [you may need to loosen only one end], and then compress the larger hose a bit to take the intake off. Another trick on all hoses is to twist them to break the bind and then pull. If you brute force and pull the rubber stretches and the orifice gets smaller, making the bind harder.

Be very careful when assembling the intake. I ripped my intake and had to get a replacement. [if you think taking apart is hard, putting it together is harder].

Salim