Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

It wasn't my clutch ='(

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-17, 09:42 AM
scsexy
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts
Default It wasn't my clutch ='(

I recently blew a clutch and had the same symptoms occur again after doing some drifting (on snow and ice thus i thought no big deal) after breaking the clutch in correctly. I incorrectly diagnosed the clutch being the problem as when i let it out there was just noise and no forward motion.

It was my stock open differential that died. The spider gears had an agonizing death. I have a NA-T running 14 psi and the engine is running well.

What are my options that some of you have done successfully?

I know i can get a replacement stock open differential for maybe a 100 or 200 depending if i go pull it myself from denver 5+ hours away because there are no Sc's or Supras around here or get one from ebay. It may break again when i'm rough so this is the worst case scenario option

I've seen the kazz 2 way internals for 880 and the tomei technical trax 2 for 980 I've never built a rear end but i work at a Toyota dealership and I'm sure the other mechanics wouldn't mind helping me.

I've heard the Supra TT auto is like a 3.7 ratio and i'd lose some power but have more of a top end. I really don't have a top end goal and i havn't even fixed the speed cut at 110 on the JDM ecu i'm running. No idea on price

I've read there are rarer versions of the Supra differential from NA 5 speeds with 4.2 rear end ratio. I'm not sure if i want the higher ratio either.

I just spent 400 on a new clutch when my old one was fine and i'm slightly upset but now i kind of want to keep the w58. I'm just not really sure how to proceed as i didn't think the open would fail anytime soon. figured the extra power would just go to one tire spinning if anything instead of breaking spider gears. I'm about to have up to 1500 to spend on the car but would rather get my heated seats fixed in my Silverado SS 03 and spend 1200 on the Lexus.

Its a street car with some track use but i've then again i've only gone to the track twice in the last year almost. (winter sucks but yeah) It used to be my daily and sometimes i still use it as one. has working ac and radio, all the creature comforts

Last edited by scsexy; 02-26-17 at 10:58 AM.
Old 02-26-17, 07:22 PM
RXRodger
Instructor

Received 202 Likes on 157 Posts

It's really a matter of how much you want to spend. If it were me I would just buy another stock and slap it in, like you said $200 you are back rolling. I have been running a welded stock diff in an endurance racing SC that has held up pretty well, although I am not putting the power down you are but just hammering it turn after turn. It probably has 80 hours of racing on it the last couple of years and although it might break the next time out it is still doing ok.
Old 02-28-17, 02:21 PM
scsexy
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

So i'm leaning towards a junkyard one because i have bigger power plans but the transmission is the limitation right now. No point buying 2 1000 dollar differentials because i'll need different ratios with a v160 or r154.

I'll just have to avoid fast and the furious movies that make me go out and drift.