Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Timing belt inspection/replacement - how do I?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-17, 07:30 AM
Returd
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Timing belt inspection/replacement - how do I?

I'm uncertain of the condition of my timing belt in my 92 SC400 with 200,000 Miles (320,000 km I'm Canadian eh). The car is in great shape, rust free and from what I can make out was dealer maintained till at least 125,000 miles (found a work order with just over 125,000 miles on it from 2000). The car may have been dealer maintained right until I picked it up. The water pump does not look new, so if it was done on schedule it was a while ago (not sure what the scheduled change interval is anyway).

I've looked here for answers, but didn't find anything.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...tart-here.html

I'm planning a 2500 mile trip soon and am uncomfortable not knowing the condition of this important maintenance item.

Is my engine a non interference engine? In other words, if the belt breaks am I going to put a valve through a piston?

Can I inspect the belt by pulling a valve cover?

Is there a detailed "how to" belt/water pump/tensioner procedure here somewhere that I've missed.

I'm not afraid of doing the job but am pressed for time. At the other end of my trip a friend out in Vancouver has offered his garage, tools, company and beer to get the job done there. Sounds nicer than working in my unheated garage here out east.

Last edited by Returd; 02-17-17 at 07:34 AM.
Old 02-17-17, 03:13 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 226 Likes on 206 Posts

Non-VVTi (pre-'97) 1UZ engines are non-interference. (Edit: Meant pre-'98. '97 and older.)

You can see the timing belt by removing one of the spark plug covers. The driver's side cover is the easier one to quickly pop off.

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/engine/timingbelt.html

Last edited by t2d2; 02-19-17 at 09:33 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Returd (02-18-17)
Old 03-13-17, 12:56 PM
Returd
Intermediate

I assume Toyota parts are the best bet on this. is there a kit available?
Old 03-13-17, 04:47 PM
dogwisper
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Returd
I assume Toyota parts are the best bet on this. is there a kit available?
I had a little trouble identifying the timing marks for the cam shafts and found this tutorial helped fill in some of the blanks:
http://www.lextreme.com/timing2.html
Aisin made the oem water pump And the oem belt makes lining up timing marks easy. eBay has some of these packages for sale. In addition my cam and crank seals were leaking you may want to change them out while you have the engine this far apart. Look over the tutorial carefully I decided to change both idler bearings and anything else I didn't want to go back and repair later. Some FIPG for the pump seal is nice to have on hand too. Good luck and check in if you need help.
The following users liked this post:
Returd (03-13-17)
Old 03-13-17, 05:42 PM
Returd
Intermediate

thanks for that link, all the info available is helpful.

I'm thinking of doing all the suggested change parts from the original link, and possibly the rad hoses and serpentine belt too. I'll do the cam and crank seals while in there, thanks for the suggestion. What is FPIG, some sort of instant gasket?

This will be a good intro into this particular engine, I'm a Ford guy.

I'll likely do a refresh including the timing belt on my parts car engine as well but that will be done later on an engine stand.
Old 03-14-17, 06:22 PM
dogwisper
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Returd
thanks for that link, all the info available is helpful.

I'm thinking of doing all the suggested change parts from the original link, and possibly the rad hoses and serpentine belt too. I'll do the cam and crank seals while in there, thanks for the suggestion. What is FPIG, some sort of instant gasket?

This will be a good intro into this particular engine, I'm a Ford guy.

I'll likely do a refresh including the timing belt on my parts car engine as well but that will be done later on an engine stand.
FIPG is Toyota form in place gasket or RTV silicone Lexus uses on the water pump as a gasket that you'll see illustrated in the tutorial. You can use the Toyota black FIPG #00295-00103. Some of the new water pumps may use a traditional gasket but you may need FIPG.