Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

2JZGTE Swap fan blade cheap solution

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-16, 08:51 PM
GTX580
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 2JZGTE Swap fan blade cheap solution

Hi CL,

I am in the midst of a Aristo swap. And as you all know, the SC300 fan blade will not work with the GTE motor because the coolant pipe is in the way. The main route I gather about this is to use a Supra TT fan blade (the fan clutch is the same for the supra and the sc) or trimming the SC300 fan making it clear the pipe.

The supra fan blade and the shroud route is the way to go, all oem, no drama...but heres the kicker.. the fan blade is a whoping $160+ dollars!!!! I am all about quality parts but $160+ for a piece of plastic WTF. (the GE fan blade sells for $45 bucks so go figure on the supra tax)

After I measure the the clearance between the GE blade and the coolant blade, the blade needs to move forward for about 15mm... give or take. Accordingly, because of the design of the pulley, using 4 studs to attach the clutch, and for safety reasons, I figure it is best to extend using 4 "connector nuts." The best thing about this is you can reuse your GE fan and it will only cost you $10.00 to buy 10 nuts, vs $160.

Now, I am not running a fan shroud (with a mishimoto X-line radiator), my temp is still good between 175 to 185. I might buy a supra shroud in the future to test fit it but for now I will leave it shroudless. Without further ado, here are the pics.

Old 12-26-16, 05:24 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

It is nice and great to be creative for our project for us to save. But at times we need to see the effects.

IMHO , I would not do this or suggest it for three reasons :

a) moving the fan forward , creates a space on the edges of the fan clutch where air can escape. Your fan clutch has a bimetal coil right there at the front center area of the fan clutch. It senses temperature from air coming from radiator for fan speed changes. When you created that space by installing spacer nuts , the hot air wont be concentrated on the bimetal coil anymore but instead has open space to escape now that you added spacer nuts. So it MAY take more heat now for the bimetal to get the fan clutch internal to engage and get into a faster speed when it is needed most by your engine.

b) when you have a fan shroud , moving the fan forward ,you actually move it more inside the shroud . There is a reason why a certain amount of the fan is only inside the shroud ... not the whole fan . Aside from the size and the angle of the fan fins , the very placement of the fan on the shroud play an important role on how much air is drawn and effectively take out that heat . You can check it out by reading about effective clutch fan and shroud on cooling system designs .

c) if you don't get to have a perfectly even spacing on all those four nut spacers , that fan will wobble. You might not see the wobbling by your naked eye but that will slowly damage and rip apart that water pump (since it is rotating on an un-centered shaft and will have a side to side play) and take with it a lot of things like damaging radiator , shroud and you would be lucky if those will be the only things that are damaged. A member here didn't listen to me about this on his supra mkiv (trying to save money on that fan blade) and I can give you his user name and ask him how he found the hard way. It ain't also easy and cheap replacing the water pump after all the damage . You will need to remove dampener and a lot of other stuff.

So we got to be careful when we are trying to save money , it may actually do more harm than help us. Hack jobs allow us to save money which many of us love to do but many times have bad long term effects.

Last edited by gerrb; 12-27-16 at 01:04 PM.
The following users liked this post:
joewitafro (06-29-23)
Old 12-27-16, 10:39 AM
GTX580
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Great analysis Gerrb, had me convinced. Time to folk out the cash for that GTE fan blade 😑