Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Aftermarket stereo

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-16, 09:32 AM
TitanG545
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Aftermarket stereo

I was looking around the forum hoping to find a section dedicated to interior mods. Unfortunately I didn't, in the market for a replacement radio for my SC400. What are some of the model's or brands you guys are using in your SC? I saw the following ones and I saw quite a few (+40) positive reviews on them.

Edit: Not outside links, sorry. These are easily searchable on Crutchfield's and other websites that carry stereos.

Kenwood DDX9703S

Pioneer AVIC-5200NEX

Kenwood DDX6703S

Kenwood Excelon DNX693S

Pioneer AVH-4200NEX

Last edited by KahnBB6; 12-23-16 at 12:13 PM. Reason: Removed outside links but preserved text
Old 12-23-16, 11:00 AM
Tempock
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First off do you have a Pioneer or Nakamitchi radio currently? Cause if you have a Nak there's a bit more to it as I've recently found out.
Old 12-23-16, 12:03 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

Moved to the Performance and Maintenance section.

kidistight, other than the wiring of an aftermarket stereo (Tempock is correct in that it is a bit different between an OEM Pioneer SC or OEM Nakamichi SC), I have found Kenwood and Pioneer to be the best brands for double-din stereos capable of infotainment and features and sometimes built in GPS mapping (mostly Kenwood's built in Garmin on some models).

Hard to go wrong with either the Kenwood or Pioneer options. The NEX line from Pioneer is good and Kenwood's selections, though fewer, are good quality. Alpine has in the past been a very good aftermarket stereo option but in today's market of double-din infotainment units I did not find as many compelling reasons to go with them. Blaupunkt was offering one or two double-din screen units for the USA market until last year but they appear to have pulled out (likely the build quality is not the same as with classic 80's-90's Blaupunkt so this is a mention more than any solid recommendation).

For single-DIN (my personal choice because the lower section of a Metra 2-DIN stereo panel can be used instead to house gauges or any other engine control related monitoring apparatus) I have found the expensive Pioneer "Stage 4" Pioneer DEX-P99RS to be a nice visual fit (but it costs a small fortune and may now be used-only)... or used Nakamichi CD-400, CD-500 or CD-700II's (2000-ish era used) or finally the current line of Jensen Heavy Duty single-din stereos which are designed for truckers and heavy equipment but will fit, look very clean, have very good modern features by 2016 standards, a visual look that is purposeful rather than like a cheap Disco ball... and are built to last. Really, if you look up reviews on the HD models they aren't anything like the regular Jensen lineup. ONLY Jensen Heavy Duty.

In case you haven't found them, here are the go-to aftermarket stereo install threads by Raine for OEM Pioneer (not OEM Nakamichi) SC's:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...ead-units.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...b-working.html

Alternative to Raine's method and alternative to the Raine method + *completely* rewiring a Metra harness in accordance with his thread instructions (because it doesn't work out of the box) just to use it as a clean connector to the factory wiring, there is also the Beat-Sonic SLA-10B plug and play aftermarket stereo harness which also includes its own bezel and brackets. Pricey ($330.00) but it's another alternative and is specifically made for SC300/400's with factory Pioneer systems. Unfortunately the SLA-10B only works with OEM Pioneer cars, not Nakamichi cars.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 01-18-17 at 11:07 PM. Reason: Typo correction
The following users liked this post:
TitanG545 (01-09-17)
Old 01-18-17, 07:07 PM
Returd
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

so how do you determine whether its a nakamichi or pioneer?
Old 01-18-17, 08:13 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Returd
so how do you determine whether its a nakamichi or pioneer?
They look very similar, but the Nak system will say Nakamichi on the top right corner of the head unit's faceplate. Other than that, you have to inspect the speakers or amp, which takes a bit of digging.
Returd (01-23-17)
Old 01-19-17, 05:45 AM
Returd
Intermediate

yep I've got a nakamichi. I want to remove the tape deck and go with a Kenwood double din with navigation. is there a thread or instructions somewhere on doing this swap?

thanks
Old 01-19-17, 07:29 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Returd
is there a thread or instructions somewhere on doing this swap?
Kahn already provided the main links above.
Old 01-20-17, 07:51 PM
Returd
Intermediate

I'll admit right off, wiring isn't my forte. I can figure things out if I take my time. Going through the above linked threads i keep seeing "not for Nakamichi", which is what i have.

My car is fully pimped, even with the Lexus/Motorola flip phone. My antenna still works too.

I fired the stereo up today and the multi disk player served up Duran Duran followed by Shania Twain. Fun for 5 but I'm looking to swap the head unit to a double din nav unit.

From what i can make out you need to be a wizzard to get the Nak system to work with a new head unit, either that or pull and replace the works, ouch.
Old 01-21-17, 05:42 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

My apologies for not having any readily available links but there should be a at least one that deals with OEM Nakamichi wiring... unless I am totally mixing up something else I remember reading in the past. I could be wrong but I thought someone did finally look into it. I hope I am recalling correctly to suggest this.

I know there is one thread that covers an aux-in jack installation for Nakamichi units. That isn't what you are specifically looking for, I know.

The one thing I do know about the OEM Nakamichi systems (not just their head units) is that the subwoofer is a common design whereas the OEM Pioneer stereos have an oddball subwoofer design that requires a "sub-amp" in order to function like a normal subwoofer. The wiring pinouts with the Nakamichi systems are still specific and different from the Pioneer systems.
Returd (01-23-17)
Old 01-21-17, 08:11 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
The one thing I do know about the OEM Nakamichi systems (not just their head units) is that the subwoofer is a common design whereas the OEM Pioneer stereos have an oddball subwoofer design that requires a "sub-amp" in order to function like a normal subwoofer.
I don't see anything particularly oddball about that. Most sub setups have a separate amp, at least in the aftermarket. If anything, the Nak is the more peculiar one with its all-in-one 5-channel amp and odd resistance.

Returd, if you do want to replace the head unit, you probably will be better off going all in, rather than wrestling with compatibility. Nak stuff in good shape can sell for close to what you'll pay for new aftermarket pieces, so it's not necessarily that big of an investment. Here's wiring help I put together:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/bui...ml#post9616395
Returd (01-23-17)
Old 01-21-17, 03:46 PM
Returd
Intermediate

Originally Posted by t2d2
I don't see anything particularly oddball about that. Most sub setups have a separate amp, at least in the aftermarket. If anything, the Nak is the more peculiar one with its all-in-one 5-channel amp and odd resistance.

Returd, if you do want to replace the head unit, you probably will be better off going all in, rather than wrestling with compatibility. Nak stuff in good shape can sell for close to what you'll pay for new aftermarket pieces, so it's not necessarily that big of an investment. Here's wiring help I put together:

Thanks, I'll look into the link. One thing of note, I also have a rough 93 parts car to scavenge from but it already have a cheapo aftermarket system and who knows what kind of butchery. By going all in, does that include speakers too? I found a tape in the console today and popped it in, cranked the stereo. It sounded surprisingly good to my ear. I don't need a lot of bling or to rattle cars around me.

I also have the Lexus/Motorola flip phone, awesome. Does the rear window mounted phone antenna go through the glass?

On a different note, my 92 is fully optioned as far as I can tell
Old 01-21-17, 04:38 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

The speakers don't really know or care which head unit or amp is sending them a signal. If they sound good, they should be fine with aftermarket equipment. You can always upgrade them later.

The cell antenna is held on with an adhesive that feels like a thick pad of double sided tape. There's a sensor that reads through the glass. Just peel both sides away slowly with a putty knife.
Returd (01-23-17)
Old 01-23-17, 05:11 AM
Returd
Intermediate

Originally Posted by t2d2

I'm planning a cross Canada trip with the car within a month or so and could really use navigation so I may be forced to go to a stereo shop for install because of time constraints.

On the issue of selling the Nak stuff, I didn't think there's be a market for that, thanks for the heads up. I assume the best place to sell is here on the forum.
Old 01-24-17, 10:50 AM
Returd
Intermediate

I bought a Kenwood double din nav head unit today. Going to dive into the install next week.

I fired up the factory Nakamichi CD changer, tape deck, and radio (all worked fine) and am happy with the sound. I don't need louder, or more bass, and would prefer the same performance, only with my new Kenwood head unit.

I have no plans to add sound deadening material to the car and will endure road noise.

A few questions.

Stereo shop guy said to use the Nak amp but I assume folks here know the best route. Can I re-use the Nak amp, or should I replace?

EDIT- after browsing a few of the other mentioned threads I see an option to use the Nak amp to power the sub via running a signal from one of the speakers. If this is still the best option I'll go this route. I assume this also means I'll need an aftermarket amp.

EDIT EDIT- I also see that replacing the factory sub is also recommended. I'm happy with current factory but can swap it out. I'll defer to the experts here and not insist on retaining old if it's just a dumb option. If change is best I welcome recommendations for replacements, keeping in mind I don't need a monster sub.

If I replace the amp for the speakers, what size amp should I get?

I'll avoid the metra harness and run separate speaker wires to avoid the "noise" issues. I've seen mention of a 9 wire loom and also mention of a 4 wire bundle. What do I need?

Do I need to run speaker wires to the doors as well? I assume yes but am hoping no.

I'd like to only have the antenna rise when on radio as I'll be using content from my iPhone under most circumstances. I'd like to manually switch the antenna and was thinking the soon to be defunct on/off/volume button/**** would act as a good switch to raise/lower the antenna. Can one of you electronics wizards weigh in on the practicality of this? Even better if you have some wiring insights I'm all ears.

I can document this process and do it over the course of a few days so questions from myself and others can be fielded through the process, should I do this?

I can start with documenting what's in place. Should I start a new thread, and if yes where and possible title suggestions for ease of "find" for future users.

Last edited by Returd; 01-24-17 at 11:37 AM.
Old 01-24-17, 02:10 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 549 Likes on 369 Posts

You'll still need the metra harness to provide power, ignition, and ground to your new harness. You could hardwire the system, but the metra harness makes it easier to reverse your work.

Amps are sized for the speakers that you intend on running. I'm not sure about the Nak system, but it is possible mixing and matching aftermarket amp with oem speakers might not work. The two options that make the most sense to me are the following (both require running new wires into the door):

1. Buy some basic coaxial speakers and run them off of the amp that is built into the headunit. You'll have to run wires from all the speakers back to the headunit.
2. Buy component speakers and an aftermarket amp. You'll have to run wires from the speakers to the amp, then rca wires from the amp to the headunit.

For the sub you could get a 10" shallow mount sub like the Kicker comp. It can be installed in the rear deck with the use of a baffle, and you can power it with a small amp.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket stereo