Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Is it possible to replace a Nakamitchi radio with an aftermarket head unit?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-16, 01:17 PM
Tempock
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Is it possible to replace a Nakamitchi radio with an aftermarket head unit?

According to this,

http://www.ebay.com/gds/How-to-Repla...5771546/g.html

The special amplifier in the nak radios would prevent simply swapping in a aftermarket head unit. Is that accurate? I simply want to buy a cheap double din stereo and swap it in and not have to deal with any amplifiers or wires.

Does anyone have any additional info on this since I haven't been able to find anything on it.
Old 11-24-16, 03:58 PM
Bankswood
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No. I have a 93 SC 400 with a Nakamitchi and swapped it out for a Pioneer DD. No problems
Old 11-24-16, 06:28 PM
tritron
Lead Lap

You can bypass amp you can run new speaker wiress
Old 11-24-16, 07:46 PM
Tempock
Rookie

That's fantastic news, I just want bluetooth without having to replace anything other than the head unit. Did you have any trouble with wire compatibility when swapping in your pioneer double din? Also do you recall which model number do you have? Thanks!
Old 11-25-16, 01:28 PM
Tempock
Rookie

Originally Posted by Bankswood
No. I have a 93 SC 400 with a Nakamitchi and swapped it out for a Pioneer DD. No problems
I talked to someone at a car audio shop, and they confirmed what was stated in the ebay link, that you can't swap in a dd if you have a Nak system, instead you have to rewire or get new speakers, sub and amplifier. So I'm not sure how you got yours to work if you don't mind elaborating.
Old 11-25-16, 01:53 PM
Zerodrag
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

If you just want Bluetooth streaming capability, you could get your existing Nak headunit modded (some place called Factory Radio Service in CA does it. eBay also has them already modded but at a high price) with an aux port, then go onto Amazon and look for an aux Bluetooth adapter (around $15).
Old 11-25-16, 02:00 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Tempock
I talked to someone at a car audio shop, and they confirmed what was stated in the ebay link, that you can't swap in a dd if you have a Nak system, instead you have to rewire or get new speakers, sub and amplifier. So I'm not sure how you got yours to work if you don't mind elaborating.
There's no direct plug 'n play replacement for the head unit or amp in the Nak system, but the person you talked to was wrong about having to replace everything. There's nothing special about the speakers, and the sub only needs an amp that can handle its odd resistance.

If you don't care about the sub, you can use the speaker level outputs on the head until to power the front and rear speakers, following the guides here for which stock wires to tap into. However, the stock 4" speakers are tiny and won't sound great without the sub, so you'll probably want to either upgrade the speakers or add a sub amp if your head unit has a sub pre-out. You could also go with a 5-channel amp like I did, and use it to power all 4 speakers and the sub.
Old 11-26-16, 03:30 PM
Bankswood
Lead Lap

Bought a Pioneer DD from Crutchfield and also the correct plug to wire and viola no problems
Old 11-26-16, 10:59 PM
zazzn
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Have you guys used the Beatsonic adapters?

I used one with lots of success in my old Aristo?

Beatsonic.com they will adapt any aftermarket head unit to work with the stock amp. However, now seeing this I will just adapt my car to have the Aux and use the AirEnabler to stream lossless via Airplay.
Old 11-27-16, 12:34 PM
Zerodrag
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

From what I see, the Beatsonic unit lists for non-Nakamichi systems for the SC300/400. At least when I just looked it up.

I just ordered the Soundbot SC360 off Amazon which is an aux to BT (it was under $20) for my other car. Since it has a built in mic, I should be able to use it for phone calls as well as audio streaming when paired to my phone. I don't expect much from it but it's worth a try for the price IMO.
Old 11-27-16, 06:31 PM
tritron
Lead Lap

It is not very difficult to bypass speakers amp I run new speaker wires with hanger wire. There are adapters that allow you to install larger speakers better sound. I bet adding amp will give you btter sound.
Old 11-28-16, 03:49 AM
zazzn
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Maybe you are right. glad I don't have nak now then! beat sonic is gonna be a life saver if I put in a joying HU
Old 11-30-16, 07:52 PM
Tempock
Rookie

Originally Posted by t2d2
There's no direct plug 'n play replacement for the head unit or amp in the Nak system, but the person you talked to was wrong about having to replace everything. There's nothing special about the speakers, and the sub only needs an amp that can handle its odd resistance.

If you don't care about the sub, you can use the speaker level outputs on the head until to power the front and rear speakers, following the guides here for which stock wires to tap into. However, the stock 4" speakers are tiny and won't sound great without the sub, so you'll probably want to either upgrade the speakers or add a sub amp if your head unit has a sub pre-out. You could also go with a 5-channel amp like I did, and use it to power all 4 speakers and the sub.
I'm not technically knowledgeable, would you happen to have any details or threads about the 5 channel amp solution? So would this be the simplest and cheapest option to having an aux and bluetooth on the Nak system?
Old 11-30-16, 08:15 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

I'm not technically knowledgeable, would you happen to have any details or threads about the 5 channel amp solution? So would this be the simplest and cheapest option to having an aux and bluetooth on the Nak system?
I went with the Alpine MRV-V500. It can accept 2-channel input to power all 5 channels, making it quite flexible.

I'm the wrong person to ask about AUX and bluetooth. Don't know much or care much about them.
Old 11-30-16, 10:00 PM
Tempock
Rookie

So if I buy a 5 channel amp and a dd head unit, I should be able to connect front and rear speakers and the sub, and have everything work probably? Does that mean that I'd have to rewire the speakers and subwoofer to the new amp and bypass both of the old amps? When you mentioned sub pre-out is that when you connect the sub to the head unit, wouldn't that be necessary either way? Also does it matter that the Nak subwoofer is 5ohm?

Quick Reply: Is it possible to replace a Nakamitchi radio with an aftermarket head unit?