Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

ECU Rebuild Vendor Recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-16, 06:25 AM
TaninAuto
Sponsor

Received 110 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by beenlookin
Thanks. I called you guys last week but never heard back. Waiting on Drift Motions response as well. If I don't hear back from them I'll send to you guys. What company do you prefer I ship the ECU with? If the service is as comprehensive as you depict in this thread than the choice may be obvious.

I'll need the car until this weekend at which point I can disconnect the ECU and send it to you.

Thank you
We are sorry that you didn't get a call back. That is unusual. Can you reach out to us today? Otherwise, email our office manager at Taninauto.sales3@gmail.com to get started!
We can talk with you about shipping as well, since you would have an option of us sending you a shipping label vs. shipping on your own. We have switched to UPS for the majority of our shipping and couldn't be happier with them.

Thanks and talk to you soon!
www.taninautoelectronix.com

Old 10-27-16, 10:31 AM
beenlookin
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got my ECU back from Tanin. I'll give you guys a brief unbiased review:
  • Pulled the ecu and peaked in it before sending out. Saw a bit of a leak on one capacitor.
  • Closed it up and sent to Tanin. Took about a week.
  • Took them approximately one week to do their work.
  • Shipping error caused further delay but they made it up by sending out 2 day air.
  • Received unit back with a seal on it for warranty purposes so I'm unsure what was done.
  • Asked vendor about what was completed and the basics were given but not anything specific as to what may or may have not been pertinent to my particular issues/ECU.
Overall the experience was acceptable/to good. Friendly staff though I am use to a bit more communication so that aspect was lacking. I cannot tell what was conducted to my ECU due to the warranty sticker so I proceeded to hook it back up to the car. Unfortunately, it did not fix the issues on my car (CEL for code 55 and random misfire) as seen here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...ite-ups-2.html

I'd use them again to repair gauges etc if I could get my car to pass inspection
Old 10-27-16, 02:41 PM
TaninAuto
Sponsor

Received 110 Likes on 80 Posts

It's me, Jason, the owner chiming in again. We strive for perfection so I don't accept an "acceptable to good" review by a customer. There's no reason every customer shouldn't be "extremely satisfied" every step of the way.

In my mind, in this instance we failed despite completing everything that we promised within the expected time frame.

1) Monday October 17, the ECU was checked in and put in the technician's queue. We only have two technicians here and they are both in school full time so they split their time here during school. I'm not sure what people think we have going on here, but we are a family business and do not have dozens of technicians constantly working on items to turn them around within 30 minutes of receiving them. We do everything we can to repair items within 1-3 days, sometimes 3-5 days. This ECU was rebuilt within 3 days.
2) Thursday October 20 at 100pm, the ECU was rebuilt by a technician. Following our rebuild the ECU was plugged into our SC300 test vehicle. The vehicle started, idled, ran, and drove perfectly with no check engine lights of any sort.
3) Thursday October 20 at 130pm our sales rep called the customer with the total for the repair and also informed them something along the lines of, "ecu testing perfectly after the repair in our car but the problem might still exist when they get it back". This is what we do when we receive notes from customers regarding specific problems. If we don't do this then the customer gets the ECU back and is under the impression the ECU is still the problem and we didn't repair it.
4) Friday October 21 at at 10am the customer called back with payment information. The sales rep could have told the customer the notes above at this time. It is unclear when the information was relayed.
5) ECU was shipped out at the same time and the customer emailed us today, 10/27, at 8am stating the problems still existed.

I'm not sure what shipping error occurred as it doesn't seem like there was one from the notes I have. I also explain exactly what we do to every ECU in this thread on 9/28. There are no specific rebuild summary reports for individual ECU's. They are all rebuilt completely to our standards and then tested in a vehicle to ensure all aspects of the ECU work as they should.

Got my ECU back from Tanin. I'll give you guys a brief unbiased review:
  • Pulled the ecu and peaked in it before sending out. Saw a bit of a leak on one capacitor.
  • Closed it up and sent to Tanin. Took about a week.
  • Took them approximately one week to do their work.
  • Shipping error caused further delay but they made it up by sending out 2 day air.
  • Received unit back with a seal on it for warranty purposes so I'm unsure what was done.
  • Asked vendor about what was completed and the basics were given but not anything specific as to what may or may have not been pertinent to my particular issues/ECU.
Overall the experience was acceptable/to good. Friendly staff though I am use to a bit more communication so that aspect was lacking. I cannot tell what was conducted to my ECU due to the warranty sticker so I proceeded to hook it back up to the car. Unfortunately, it did not fix the issues on my car (CEL for code 55 and random misfire) as seen here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...ite-ups-2.html

I'd use them again to repair gauges etc if I could get my car to pass inspection
www.taninautoelectronix.com

Old 10-28-16, 09:18 AM
beenlookin
Rookie

Thanks for the reply Jason.

By no means is my review considered "bad" as you may be thinking by your detailed response. Good is just that, good. I am a satisfied customer despite not receiving as much detail as I wanted - but that is okay, there is no way any person or company can possibly account for exactly what each customer wants. This is a reality of business. I was also okay with the delay in shipment, I had to call back and email to ensure it was sent. I am simply stating this as a fact - nothing more than that.

Certainly, you guys did well as indicated in my response - I would you definitely use you all again in the future (which is a recommendation).
Old 02-12-17, 09:44 AM
Deathbarel
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i have code 55 checked the wires going from the knock sensors to the ecu and they are good. been swapping knock sensors with i pull from junkyards on a weekly basis, still no fix. did you find a fix? and tanin is this something that could be in the ecu and could you fix it?
Old 02-12-17, 12:41 PM
RXRodger
Instructor

Received 202 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Deathbarel
i have code 55 checked the wires going from the knock sensors to the ecu and they are good. been swapping knock sensors with i pull from junkyards on a weekly basis, still no fix. did you find a fix? and tanin is this something that could be in the ecu and could you fix it?
The knock sensor signal wires are shielded and ground near the ecu, at least in a 92 they do. Check the shielding and also make sure you don't have a random short against the shielding for this sensor. The wiring is especially bad due to the insulation material the wires were made with so check the shielding near the plug, it should end a few inches shy of the plug. If it's a 55 it should be the rear sensor. Make sure you are swapping the exact model sensor, they kick codes if you use something else (Denso made Toyota part 89615-12040). For more info on pin numbers, etc check my build thread about page 4.
Old 02-13-17, 01:22 PM
Deathbarel
Driver

This is the problem I found
​​​​​​​
Old 02-13-17, 04:58 PM
Returd
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I have a 92 SC400 driver and a 93 SC400 parts car. I'm considering having the parts car ECU serviced and keeping it as a spare. Does anyone know if the 93 ECU will function properly in the 92?

Should I wait until I have a failure to rebuild?
Old 02-13-17, 05:00 PM
Deathbarel
Driver

I know for the sc300 the early years are swappable no problem
Old 02-16-17, 06:32 AM
RXRodger
Instructor

Received 202 Likes on 157 Posts

A bent pin, nice find.

As far as 92 vs 93 there should be no difference as deathbarrel has said. When you get to 94 or 95 the O2 sensor went to heated element I think which could kick a code, but it never did on mine for some reason when I ran my 93 daily with a spare ecu from a 94 while Tanin repaired my original ecu.
Old 02-16-17, 09:37 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by RXRodger
As far as 92 vs 93 there should be no difference as deathbarrel has said. When you get to 94 or 95 the O2 sensor went to heated element I think which could kick a code, but it never did on mine for some reason when I ran my 93 daily with a spare ecu from a 94 while Tanin repaired my original ecu.
I'm pretty sure '94 was the same as earlier years. It's been a while since I changed my O2 sensors, but that's what I recall.

Also, I ran a '95 ECU in my '94 for some time. '94 had several mid-year, under-documented changes that could make it apply to '93 or '95.
Old 02-20-17, 06:43 AM
beenlookin
Rookie

Originally Posted by Returd
I have a 92 SC400 driver and a 93 SC400 parts car. I'm considering having the parts car ECU serviced and keeping it as a spare. Does anyone know if the 93 ECU will function properly in the 92?

Should I wait until I have a failure to rebuild?
Take it from me. Save your money. My ECU was original from 92 and was perfectly fine.. no failures as everyone seems to think is a common issue.

Have it serviced when there is a bonafide need.
Old 02-20-17, 09:25 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Take it from me. Save your money. My ECU was original from 92 and was perfectly fine.. no failures as everyone seems to think is a common issue.

Have it serviced when there is a bonafide need.
Have you owned the car long enough to know that the ECU was never serviced previously? With a supposedly 14 year shelf life on the capacitors, that leaves a pretty big window from '06 to present.

I consider it bad advice to put it off until there's a need. At that point, you may have done irreversible damage to a pretty important part of the car, albeit a not terribly difficult to source a replacement one.
Old 02-27-17, 09:14 AM
beenlookin
Rookie

Originally Posted by t2d2
Have you owned the car long enough to know that the ECU was never serviced previously? With a supposedly 14 year shelf life on the capacitors, that leaves a pretty big window from '06 to present.

I consider it bad advice to put it off until there's a need. At that point, you may have done irreversible damage to a pretty important part of the car, albeit a not terribly difficult to source a replacement one.

Hi,
The car was purchased from the original owner who I knew personally. He submitted to me all the service records and I am certain the ECU was not refurbished or touched before me.

I'm curious where you got the 14 year shelf life statistic from? My personal take on this is different than yours, and that is okay, we're all entitled to our opinions. That said, I would not have spent the money on the ECU repair unless I was 100% certain it was the cause of any issues (which of course is an issue in and of itself). It just seems to me by the multitude of posts on this forum that the blame of ECU failure is used too often and not necessarily the culprit in many instances. I'm letting people know this just so they at least think twice before they send in their ecu for service and perhaps, look at other more common and less expensive possibilities first.
Old 02-27-17, 11:25 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

The car was purchased from the original owner who I knew personally. He submitted to me all the service records and I am certain the ECU was not refurbished or touched before me.
I would assume it hasn't been, then.

I'm curious where you got the 14 year shelf life statistic from?
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...capacitor.html

My personal take on this is different than yours, and that is okay, we're all entitled to our opinions. That said, I would not have spent the money on the ECU repair unless I was 100% certain it was the cause of any issues (which of course is an issue in and of itself). It just seems to me by the multitude of posts on this forum that the blame of ECU failure is used too often and not necessarily the culprit in many instances. I'm letting people know this just so they at least think twice before they send in their ecu for service and perhaps, look at other more common and less expensive possibilities first.
Most people, myself included, spend a heck of a lot more money chasing down other possible culprits than they would on ECU servicing. And whether or not the ECU is to blame for the problems they're trying to solve, it's very likely that it will need attention before long. Just because you've apparently gotten lucky with yours (maybe it's been garage stored and/or in a climate that's easier on the capacitors?), doesn't mean it's the norm. Why not eliminate that uncertainty and future issue?

Saying that you don't feel it's important is one thing, but recommending against getting it done until needed, when there's a mountain of evidence that most people will need it at some point, is bad form. That does nothing but lead people down a path they'll likely regret.

Quick Reply: ECU Rebuild Vendor Recommendation