Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

How to remove the dashboard of an SC300 with pics

Old 09-01-16, 11:34 AM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks for the writeup....will be doing this over winter to remove heater core and AC unit behind dash

STICKY THIS!!!!
Old 09-03-16, 10:09 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow! Perfect timing I'm going to swap mine in the next 2 or so months once the brutal Florida summer heat goes away and this was very helpful, Thank you for taking the time to do this it will be a big help for everyone!
Old 09-04-16, 04:48 PM
jimmymac30
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

anyone who is going to do this, feel free to PM me. I will try to help any way I can. And thank you for the positive comments! You guys have all helped me along the way so just make sure you pay it forward.
Old 09-13-16, 06:56 PM
gomeybear
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its an 01, after looking at the canister the vsv is definitely replaceable on the 01 models wothout having to replace the whole canister, i just replaced the whole canister anyways.
Old 11-28-16, 06:46 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok so i did the swap from brown to black and everything went smooth other than when i got her all back together the temp a/c only works on full cold and one click to the right and it blows hot this only started after i swapped the dash so i assume ut has something to do with the blend door servo? Has anyone had this problem in the past or know where to look?

Tia!
Old 11-29-16, 04:51 AM
zazzn
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Mods please stick this for this is amazing.

Thanks for taking the time.
Old 11-30-16, 07:21 PM
BlueJ
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by jimmymac30
Yes, it's been done a thousand times. I've done it 6 times myself on different SC's. But there just doesn't seem to be a great write up of HOW. There is one that I referenced my first time and it helped tremendously. But I thought I'd give it a try. So here goes...

remember that I accept no liability if you break something, hurt yourself, or can't put your car back together. For a nominal fee I will come out it back together for you lol. also remember that there is more than 1 way to do this. Some will start with the a-pillars, I started with the center console. This is on a 1997 with a gated shifter swap.

DISCONNECT YOUR BATTERY!!!

1. Remove shift ****. On a gated shifter you simple turn it counterclockwise. (If you have a 92-97 auto, you pull up on the e-brake, move the shifter to neutral, press down on the lower plastic trim piece revealing 2 Phillips screws on the base of the shifter. Remove those and pull up on the shift ****).

2. Open the ashtray, center console arm rest, remove the middle cup holder by firmly pulling up. Remove the small carpet trim piece inside the center console to reveal 3 10mm bolts.

3. Pull up firmly on the shifter trim bezel (it's held in with clips). Unplug connectors on back side and set it aside.

4. Now you can remove the 6 Phillips screws that hold the upper center console trim in place.

5. Pull the center console upper trim up from the back first and pull the it out from around the radio and climate control (it is help in by clips). Disconnect the hazard switch and climate control/radio ***** and set upper console aside.

6. Next remove 4 Phillips screws around the shifter that hold the lower center console in.

7. Remove 3 10mm bolts from inside center console box holding center console to the floor.

8. Now remove the 4 8mm/Phillips screws that hold the radio/climate control in and remove the 2 10mm bolts holding it in a little further back (see pics)

9. The wiring loom under the radio is held in by the radio brackets. Simply press the sides at the bottom and slide the harness out (it's the large with plastic piece attached to the base of the side radio brackets) disconnect the 3 connectors for the climate control, the radio connectors, and the antenna and pull the entire climate/radio unit out.

10. Remove the lower glove box panel by pulling down on it. It is held in by two ouch fasteners and 4 clips along the base of the glove box.

11. Open the glove box and remove the two plastic caps over the screws that hold the glovebox in. You can use a pocket screwdriver to do this.

12. Remove those 2 screws and the 2 screws and the base of the glovebox (one connect to the lower center console which is why we haven't remove the center console yet. If you did, you broke it). DON'T yank on the glovebox just yet! There is a screw in push fastener that needs to be removed. I used a 1/4" ratchet with a #2 1/4" Phillips socket to get to it. Here's where it is.

13. Now you can pull the glovebox out. It's a bit stubborn around the latch. Just be careful and it'll come out. Once it's free, you have to disconnect the pass side air bag (1992 owners won't have to do this). You disconnected the battery, right? Ok, good. Unplug this by separating the connector from the trim piece and folding back the white clip to reveal the tab to disconnect the airbag.

14. Two other electrical connectors on the glovebox get disconnected and the glovebox comes out and gets set aside.

15. Now you can remove the center console by lifting up from the back and sliding it out of the way. Your car should now look like this:

See post #2 for more
Are those the factory seats? They look fantastic
The following users liked this post:
glenn057 (06-26-21)
Old 01-12-17, 09:54 PM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Just completed pulling out my dash using this write up....helped me out alot!!!!!
Old 01-13-17, 04:00 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

And why the hell you needed to take out your dash Ryan ? Changing color ?
Old 02-23-17, 11:52 AM
LexyAzHell
Driver School Candidate

Nice write up. I'll be using this when i swap my tan dash to black, whenever i find one lol.
Old 06-26-21, 06:48 PM
glenn057
Driver School Candidate

Hi from Australia, It seem like a massive job,, may I ask how long does it take to remove and replace,, all I need to do is replace the centre air vents and passenger air vent ,,do I have to remove the whole dash or can I do a quicker cheat Ive got a 94 sc400, also here in australia its hard to get parts, would you know where I can get a climate control unit with a working screen and a nitogen ABS accumulator ( the one that fits onto the brake master cylinder) any help would be appreciated,, thank, if you want my email is glenn057@gmail.com
Old 06-27-21, 11:10 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 226 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by glenn057
Hi from Australia, It seem like a massive job,, may I ask how long does it take to remove and replace,, all I need to do is replace the centre air vents and passenger air vent ,,do I have to remove the whole dash or can I do a quicker cheat Ive got a 94 sc400,
You don't need to remove the dash to remove the vents. Once the glove box is out, the vent and wood trim assembly becomes [painstakingly] accessible.
The following users liked this post:
infamy (11-19-21)