Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Sc300 Vs Soarer: Question regarding parts and maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-16, 01:36 PM
Keisuk3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sc300 Vs Soarer: Question regarding parts and maintenance.

I currently have the ability atm to hop on quiet a good deal for a Toyota Soarer, Fresh off the boat. I understand that the Sc300 is essentially an Soarer but with a 2jzge, However what are the parts maintenance wise that they share? Will i be able to do things like suspension rebuilds and stuff with parts from an sc300? I know that their is a list put together for things that 1jz and 2jz share, So I'm not to frighten by that. So just how similar are the two cars? is the only difference in parts dealing with the engine?
Old 08-15-16, 10:53 AM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome. Start reading those stickies!

A Soarer is basically a bastard child of multiple cars.

50% SC300/400
25% MKIV Supra
25% MKIII Supra

The percentages can be argued many ways but those vehicles will be able to provide you with 99% of all the parts you will ever need stateside without ordering overnight parts from Japan.
Old 08-15-16, 09:03 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

^^ The percentage breakdown above is pretty good. Mostly it is the 1JZ-GTE engine (from the late model JDM MKIII Supra Twin Turbo R), R154 5-speed and a version of the A340 4-speed automatic that carried into the Z30 Soarer series. Though the R154 transmission tail-housing casting was updated from the MKIII Supra's version. I'd argue that the MKIV Supra and SC/Z30-Soarer chassis are 50/50 because so much about them is interchangeable.

Keisuk3, suspension parts are directly interchangeable between the Z30 Soarer and SC300. Driveline parts are as well other than that one car comes with a 1JZ-GTE and the other comes with a 2JZ-GE... and also has the steering wheel different sides. The wiring harness for the engine, for example, is shorter because the ECU is on the other side of the car compared to the LHD USA-Market SC300. The interiors are basically identical... except that everything is reversed. Even the center console trim. And with the Z30 Soarer you get some additional door switch options (motorized folding mirrors) compared to the US cars. Seats interchange. Supra MKIV seats interchange. The 1JZ-GTE Soarers had a Torsen LSD as a factory option whereas the SC300's only came with open differentials... despite both the SC300 5-speeds and Soarer 1JZ-GTE 5-speeds sharing the same rear differential carriers and 4.083:1 final drive ratios. The Z30 Soarer has a trick electronic instrument cluster whereas the SC has a classic analog cluster.

All of the things we usually think about with special cars and engine swaps generally swap back and forth with some minor work since the drivelines and suspensions are extremely related. It's little cosmetic replacement and service items that aren't going to be exactly the same. For example, the side mirrors should interchange but while the folding motor pinouts will probably be different the bigger issue might be how the LHD and RHD side mirrors are angled.

SC's never got the rear wiper blade of the Z30 Soarer so if the rear windscreen ever breaks a new one would have to be sourced from overseas or any company (or dealer) that can order the specific part. Or you could remove the rear wiper system entirely and just use USDM rear windscreen glass.

This is by no means a hierarchical or comprehensive list, just a rough rundown of what seems most relevant.

Yes, you can maintain a Z30 Soarer in the USA. It's just *some* of the cosmetic parts that would be ideal not to break. General body panels... identical between both cars.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 08-15-16 at 09:18 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Antons2j (06-23-22)