Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Post Timing belt Service no Start

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-16, 04:04 PM
HalifaxSC4
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Post Timing belt Service no Start

My 1993 SC400 just about hit 300,000 kms when the idler bearing for the timing belt seized ( Timing belt was last done at (92000kms) So I ordered the Aisin timing kit and did the job. Disassembly and assembly both went smooth, although time consuming. The car cranks over fine but doesn't even try to fire, so I checked for spark and I have none at either ignition coil. I took the timing covers back off and can confirm that:

- Both cam gear position sensors are connected.
- Crank position sensor is connected.
- Both ignition coils are connected
- Both ignition rotors are in the correct position ( Only one way for them to go on because of the keyway)
- I didn't touch the Igniter connections

I've taken off and reinstalled every thing to do with the ignition system with no change to the issue.
This isn't an issue of incorrect ignition timing or incorrect valve timing, but rather NO SPARK at all. I was hoping that I would find something obvious unplugged but that hasn't been the case. The car was running top notch before doing the timing job. Any hints where to look next? Its as if I missed one crucial connection for the ignition system.

Old 08-11-16, 12:15 PM
HalifaxSC4
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The issue has been solved. The connection for the crankshaft position sensor had coolant in it. I removed the CPS and cleaned it and the connector on the harness. The CPS also has a crack in the plastic housing leaving its probe off center of its mounting hole where it reads the trigger gear. After cleaning and re aligning the CPS the car fires right up. Ill be replacing the damaged CPS, Lexus here wanted $270 CND so I'll go after market.
The following users liked this post:
Skeech (01-28-17)