Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

'98+ key and/or remote programming

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-17, 12:57 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

I realized, the previously mentioned compatibility application guide is from 2000, so newer Lexus models with compatible remotes weren't included. Here's a 2015 list I found:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/08...hart_58511.pdf

Other than some LX450/470 labeling confusion, the only change is the '01 ES300 is included with the '98-00 compatibility. I've seen ebay listings show an identical looking remote fob with the same HYQ1512V FCC ID, but for '03-05 ES and '0x-'09 LX models, so there's still some uncertainty there.

From the column headers in the chart (duplicated in the attachment for quick reference), it's not clear to me which aspect refers to the remote fob and which element to the key blade. I'm thinking the TOY-40BT4 code refers to the blade length. If looking for just a compatible fob as a spare to program, the blade wouldn't matter. I'll look into that more.
Attached Thumbnails '98+ key and/or remote programming-key-transponder-guide.png  
Old 02-28-17, 11:37 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

The first post has been updated with successful programming instructions of both the remote (wireless computer) and transponder chip (immobilizer)! I now have a fully functioning backup remote/chip, should I lose my original. All I would need to do is get a new key cut according to the key code, and I'd be back up and running.

I picked up a cut long blade key with OEM HYQ1512V 3-button remote, figuring it would be best to avoid the generic remotes on ebay. Most likely, any of the short blade (more common) keys with the same FCC ID would work, but I went with the safest bet. The numbers on the back of the remote's case (battery compartment) weren't the same as my original, but that turned out to not matter.
Old 03-01-17, 12:40 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

I learned today that it isn't necessary to get a new ECU if you lose your keys on a '98-00. There's actually a way to flash the computer. I was talking to a guy who builds cars and he had to get that done on a '98 GS300, which I assume is a similar security system to the SC. (He was told they're all the same in that regards.) The catch is that it requires 3 keys to program it anew, for some reason. He was able to get the three keys cut, along with the flashing of the computer, for $350. That's a lot less than the dealer alternative.
Old 03-01-17, 02:48 PM
Zerodrag
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

I had to program a new transmitter about two months back and had a bit of trouble doing so. What I found was that during the process of locking/unlocking, using the door switch multiple times, that the mechanism was not fully in the lock/unlock position (maybe the motors are old) causing the process to fail. I eventually had to keep an eye on the physical position of the lock switch and manually move it whenever it was not fully in place. Doing this, I was able to finally get the remote programmed. Funny thing I noticed is that no where is the trunk unlock switch used, but it gets programmed to work in the process anyway.

I still would like to create a spare master key someday (I only have one master and one valet). I'll have to try that new method you posted up. Thanks for the updated info.
Old 03-01-17, 03:26 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

[QUOTE=Zerodrag;9787754What I found was that during the process of locking/unlocking, using the door switch multiple times, that the mechanism was not fully in the lock/unlock position (maybe the motors are old) causing the process to fail.[/quote]

It's possible that's why the factory method of using the power switch didn't work for me, although I didn't notice the lock button not moving fully. At any rate, doing so from the handle's lock button instead of the power switch works and eliminates any such issues.

I still would like to create a spare master key someday (I only have one master and one valet). I'll have to try that new method you posted up.
It's definitely worth the peace of mind! I got my car the same way, with just one busted up master and the valet. The thought of losing the master, especially since I didn't have the key code initially, without a backup programmed didn't sit well with me. But, every SC sold seems to come with just one key, so it must not bother other people too much...
Old 03-01-17, 06:35 PM
totrider
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have 1 Key & needed to have an extra one ASAP. Don't wanna take chances :)

Just reading this thread & I learnt something new hahahah.
Anyway I needed an extra key for my 99 sc400 that I purchased almost 2 weeks ago. So I called the dealer last week & they said $220 for the key & programming is separate .. So I assume that it's gotta be at least $300. The stealers put me on hold about 3 times /letting me wait So I hung up on them. So last Friday I end up ordering one from ebay ; I also sent them a few master key pix via text so they can cut it. It arrived Monday. I Was able to program the key but having issues with programming the remote itself. But no biggie. At least I can start the car with it for now. I'll try to program the remote another time. I'm just happy that it works for now. Except the remote of course.
Old 08-26-17, 01:34 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by t2d2
The first post has been updated with successful programming instructions of both the remote (wireless computer) and transponder chip (immobilizer)! I now have a fully functioning backup remote/chip, should I lose my original. All I would need to do is get a new key cut according to the key code, and I'd be back up and running.

I picked up a cut long blade key with OEM HYQ1512V 3-button remote, figuring it would be best to avoid the generic remotes on ebay. Most likely, any of the short blade (more common) keys with the same FCC ID would work, but I went with the safest bet. The numbers on the back of the remote's case (battery compartment) weren't the same as my original, but that turned out to not matter.
I finally learned the difference recently. I was going to add to this post, but it looks like you figured it out. The "pedal dance" is to program the immobilizer and the part where you play with the lock and unlock buttons is for the remote.

Originally Posted by t2d2
I learned today that it isn't necessary to get a new ECU if you lose your keys on a '98-00. There's actually a way to flash the computer. I was talking to a guy who builds cars and he had to get that done on a '98 GS300, which I assume is a similar security system to the SC. (He was told they're all the same in that regards.) The catch is that it requires 3 keys to program it anew, for some reason. He was able to get the three keys cut, along with the flashing of the computer, for $350. That's a lot less than the dealer alternative.
You need 3 keys because they delete all key information when they flash it and trick the ecu into thinking its brand new. When you activate the system for the 1st time it wants to be programmed and wants 3 keys (2 masters and 1 valet). There is no pedal dance or sequence the 1st time you activate it. It just wants to see 3 keys consecutively inserted into the ecu and will program 2 masters and 1 valet, then close programming mode.
Old 08-28-17, 03:04 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

^ Nice, that confirms what I was told about the re-flash option and makes sense now that you explain it.
Old 08-28-17, 08:04 PM
BiGEZ
Instructor

Received 138 Likes on 114 Posts

Have you guys figured out if the 98-00 SCX00 C Best settings allow you to open and close the door/windows with the remote? My 01 GS300 does it and I find it very convenient.
Old 08-29-17, 08:35 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by BiGEZ
Have you guys figured out if the 98-00 SCX00 C Best settings allow you to open and close the door/windows with the remote? My 01 GS300 does it and I find it very convenient.
I don't know if the 98+ SC has C-BEST options. I've never heard it mentioned all the years that I've been on this forum.

Maybe Luxor can provide some insight into this.
Old 08-30-17, 10:12 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

I'd be shocked if the SC has that option, since our window controls and regulators are shared with earlier models. On the other hand, Lexus built the auto-dimming rearview mirror wiring in from the start despite not adding the feature until '96...
Old 08-30-17, 01:11 PM
BiGEZ
Instructor

Received 138 Likes on 114 Posts

I did not think so however I will take my car to the local Lexus dealer and have them look it up for me. My experience with the dealer ships the tend to snub you for having an older car.
Old 11-15-17, 11:14 AM
tfwnoturbo
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

t2, you're a legend! A few months ago I bought a pre-cut key from 1010keys on ebay. He sent me a transponder along with the key (which I didn't really need but whatever why not). The method he sent in paper me didn't quite work but I didn't mind since again, didn't need the transponder. After seeing this thread I decided to try and program the transponder because hey, why not. Amazingly enough both methods worked for my 2000. Shoulda seen my face when the car started locking and unlocking itself after I programmed the door. Thanks for rounding up the data here, now I'm officially not afraid to lose my keys.

Also, our cars do not have the c-best options unfortunately. The SC was at the end of it's life cycle, toyota probably wouldn't bother to reprogram such a system for a 2 door that was aged and on it's way out. I was on TIS a bit ago and there is no mention of it in the "model year changes" document, plus I think c-best cars use a different transponder than ours.
Old 11-15-17, 11:48 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Awesome, glad that worked for you!
Old 01-18-18, 06:33 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Might as well cross-post a similar thread for '95 info, in case it helps people find it in the future:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...-question.html

Quick Reply: '98+ key and/or remote programming