Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Alternator replacement brand suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-16, 11:59 AM
johnmikeyo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator replacement brand suggestions

Hello,
I have a 1999 sc400 and need to replace the alternator. It is stock. Can anyone suggest the brand and type you would get? Not sure to get rebuilt or new, and where to get it from. I'm in Savannah GA, and not sure of which way to go. There seems to be such a wide cost gap from ebay to other suppliers. Hoping to get some direction.
Thank you
Old 07-11-16, 12:20 PM
freakness
Pole Position

Originally Posted by johnmikeyo
Hello,
I have a 1999 sc400 and need to replace the alternator. It is stock. Can anyone suggest the brand and type you would get? Not sure to get rebuilt or new, and where to get it from. I'm in Savannah GA, and not sure of which way to go. There seems to be such a wide cost gap from ebay to other suppliers. Hoping to get some direction.
Thank you
Dude,

New OEM is best followed by low-mileage used (it's up to you to decide what that means), followed by a rebuild done by a local shop with a good reputation. Online purchases of refurbished/rebuilt alternators always seems hit or miss. One guy will say they only last a short while, the next guy says it's the best purchase he's ever made.

Old 07-11-16, 12:28 PM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

find a local shop that rebuilds them.use good parts,no waiting for shipping and they usually have it done in a few hours and stand by there work.
there are no (new)alternators.they are all rebuilt.

Last edited by jimbosr1; 07-11-16 at 12:32 PM.
Old 07-11-16, 01:44 PM
mikef
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if you feel its easy to replace your self just go to a auto store with lifetime warranty
Old 07-15-16, 05:03 PM
cdbln
Driver School Candidate

I picked up a remanufactured Denso (OE supplier) from Amazon. I felt comfortable buying from online, because it was being sold by Denso through Amazon.
Old 07-17-16, 06:38 PM
johnmikeyo
Driver School Candidate

I went ahead and replaced it myself. It was a bit challenging, but in the end seems to work great. I ended up buying the alternator from advanced auto because they're close to where I live. All went well except once I got it back in and went to replace electric connections, the one squeeze connecter went in fine, however the other with the plastic cover had a different style plug in it that I did not noticed when I received it. If your going to do the install yourself verify the plug will fit your connector. Fortunatly I was able to unbolt the one on the new alternator, returned to the parts store and got the one off of my old alternator. Hope this may help anyone planning on doing the job yourself.
Old 08-11-16, 04:29 PM
TexRud
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by johnmikeyo
I went ahead and replaced it myself. It was a bit challenging, but in the end seems to work great. I ended up buying the alternator from advanced auto because they're close to where I live. All went well except once I got it back in and went to replace electric connections, the one squeeze connecter went in fine, however the other with the plastic cover had a different style plug in it that I did not noticed when I received it. If your going to do the install yourself verify the plug will fit your connector. Fortunatly I was able to unbolt the one on the new alternator, returned to the parts store and got the one off of my old alternator. Hope this may help anyone planning on doing the job yourself.
Sc 300/400: 1995 - 2000 - Alternators have oval plug connectors.
Sc300/400: anything before 1994 - Alternators have round plug connectors.
Old 08-29-16, 06:35 PM
1997Soarer
Instructor

Received 148 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by cdbln
I picked up a remanufactured Denso (OE supplier) from Amazon. I felt comfortable buying from online, because it was being sold by Denso through Amazon.
I just put in a Denso reman into my IS300. Got it from a trusted Denso distributor's eBay store