Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

HELP! Spark plug broke

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-16, 06:06 PM
Meghanw1
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! Spark plug broke

So I went in to change out the spark plugs that should have been replaced by my mechanic because I just paid him over $1000 to fix my car. But he mentioned that the spark plugs still needed to be replaced. Well, went to change #6 spark plug first. Didn't want to budge. But finally came lose. But when I pulled it up. I realized it had broken. What do I do? <br >
Old 06-21-16, 06:13 PM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 139 Posts

That's just the top part your ok. The head that fits the socket is still there. Put the docket back on it and back it out. If you can't reach the plug after you back it out just use a telescoping magnet.
Old 06-21-16, 08:23 PM
Meghanw1
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks! I managed to get out the broken spark plug. It seems like one thing after another lately. The broken spark plug just sent my mind into a spiral of worse case scenarios.

Now my only concern is the fluid that was all over some of the old spark plugs when I pulled them out. I didn't clean out the fluid in the galley ( I think you call it, . . . . But I'm not sure) before putting in the new spark plugs. Is that bad? The only reason I didn't clean down there is because I'm not exactly sure how I'm supposed to get down there to clean out the fluid.
It was a yellow color. And it may have been from me disconnecting the hoses (coolant bypass, I think????) to get to the # 3 & 4 spark plugs. Cause when I disconnected the hoses the fluid escaped before I managed to plug it up and stop the fluid from leaking out.
Anyway, let me know if I need to go back to try and clean out the fluid. And if so, how should I do this?
Old 06-23-16, 04:40 AM
RXRodger
Instructor

Received 202 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Meghanw1
Thanks! I managed to get out the broken spark plug. It seems like one thing after another lately. The broken spark plug just sent my mind into a spiral of worse case scenarios.

Now my only concern is the fluid that was all over some of the old spark plugs when I pulled them out. I didn't clean out the fluid in the galley ( I think you call it, . . . . But I'm not sure) before putting in the new spark plugs. Is that bad? The only reason I didn't clean down there is because I'm not exactly sure how I'm supposed to get down there to clean out the fluid.
It was a yellow color. And it may have been from me disconnecting the hoses (coolant bypass, I think????) to get to the # 3 & 4 spark plugs. Cause when I disconnected the hoses the fluid escaped before I managed to plug it up and stop the fluid from leaking out.
Anyway, let me know if I need to go back to try and clean out the fluid. And if so, how should I do this?
I hope I misunderstood, but are you saying you replaced the spark plugs when there was fluid on top of the old plugs? If so, it is now in your engine, along with any dirt that was on top of them also. Maybe I didn't follow what you said. You must take an air blow nozzle and blow out and dirt and fluid on top of these plugs any time you are going to remove them, no matter if you see any or not. If I did understand correctly, then not sure what to do at this point. Maybe take the plugs out and rotate the engine to blow it out of there? I think that is what I would do. If you have already run the car, then nevermind too late.