Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Stalls @ startup when hot

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-16, 03:41 PM
Barbary
Instructor

Received 481 Likes on 291 Posts
Default Stalls @ startup when hot

I've been pretty lucky, for most of its life my SC has been problem free. 1 thing its always had, after its hot it dies on start up. I found out if I tap the accelerator during ignition, it stayed started. So I never really dealt w it.

this weekend tapping did not work. My door and engine lock out might have something to do w that. It locked my engine some how days before this, I worked it out. Any tips on this?

I think I need to get the car checked all around. I've hit the 60,000 miles on the timing belt. Any recommendations for a shop here in the San Francisco Bay Area. I'm not taking it to a Lexus dealer

Thanks
Old 06-20-16, 04:13 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

I think the Fuel Pressure VSV is supposed to assist with warm starts. Maybe yours isn't working properly? I've had mine on and off several times and can't tell a difference either way, so I don't know how much difference it really makes in practice.
Old 06-20-16, 06:53 PM
Bankswood
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when I first got my sc 400 it would start fine cold but would not start when it was hot. Finally diagnosed as a faulty fuel pump ecu.
Old 07-07-16, 04:29 PM
WightBoy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Bankswood
when I first got my sc 400 it would start fine cold but would not start when it was hot. Finally diagnosed as a faulty fuel pump ecu.
Can that ecu be replaced without a whole new pump?

My 95 SC300 just stalled after start after a 30 mile interstate drive and sitting for breakfast. Came back with tow truck 2 hours later and it started fine. Haven't been able to replicate, and no tests are showing anything.
Old 07-08-16, 07:13 AM
Bankswood
Lead Lap

Yes. Just search for fuel pump ecu bypass. The ecu is installed on the driver side rear seat quarter panel.
Old 07-13-16, 10:15 PM
WightBoy
Driver School Candidate

Figures. My SC300 was totalled by a hit to the rear driver's side. I'm not going to deal with this unless the problem happens again, but thanks for the info.
Old 07-17-16, 01:26 PM
Barbary
Instructor

Received 481 Likes on 291 Posts

My SC died completely but I had made it to a shop so I was kind of stuck w them repairing it. At least I wasn't stranded on the side of a road somewhere.
They diagnosed a check engine lite code 25 which had been on for quite a while and replaced the sensor and fuel pump.
I took it out and ran pretty good but a day later it had become undrivable, took it back and showed me there was an arch in the plug wires and a valve cover gasket leak. They replaced the full wires and both valve cover gaskets

I have had a small oil leak and twice had been told by other shops it was a trans seal leak but it was from the valve cover because I no longer have a leak.

they did the work I got the car back OK a day latter the check engine lite is back on.
Took it back was told the 2nd air fuel sensor was putting the light on, they replaced the 2nd sensor. Got the car back, a couple of days latter the car stalled in a shopping center and the light came back on. Started the car engine, lite went off, made it back home and thats where it stands now.

I'm into this for quite a few bucks by now, repairing a Lexus in San Francisco is going to cost. The shop does Lexus work but I need more help

Someone left me the name of a shop here in the Bay area that does SC's but it seems to have disappeared. I think it was in the SouthBay.

Any ideas to fix it or a shop that can finally get me back on the road?

thanks