Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

NA-T Questions?? Ask the Guru

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-16, 10:54 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

AliSC3,
I am having trouble finding the main Supra TT, TPS for sale. A member on the Facebook group (TT ECU Mod Vet) is using a similar FFIM setup and uses his stock TPS. Is there a reason why i cannot use my stock TPS, reverse wired like you suggested earlier?

Thanks Again!
Old 06-28-16, 12:15 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

unfortunately the little arms in them spin opposite directions, one spins clockwise and the other counter clockwise, so if you put a GE one on a throttle body meant for a GTE one, it wouldn't spin at all and probably the throttle wouldn't even open up anymore cause the tps would be holding it shut.

you will need a tps that spins the correct way and also the wire flip.
I think the 1uz spins the same way as the 2jzge so that probably wont help either.
Old 06-28-16, 02:04 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
unfortunately the little arms in them spin opposite directions, one spins clockwise and the other counter clockwise, so if you put a GE one on a throttle body meant for a GTE one, it wouldn't spin at all and probably the throttle wouldn't even open up anymore cause the tps would be holding it shut.

you will need a tps that spins the correct way and also the wire flip.
I think the 1uz spins the same way as the 2jzge so that probably wont help either.
OK, I get it. It is because i chose the "Supra" TB model.
I chose that one for the resale value but I will likely never sell it, LOL.

OK, I'll keep looking for a Supra TT, main (not traction control) TPS. Any year MKIV TT, main TPS should work right?

Thanks again Ali!
Old 06-28-16, 03:12 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Exactly its cause its the supra gte version, they set it up to rotate a certain way. also I think you said they did not have the adapter for the SC one, so you kinda of have to find the supra gte one it looks like.
I think any of the main ones should work as long as its not vvti.

I did a search on the supra part number I think its 89452-22080

its showing interchange with tacomas and 4runners around 95-97 ish meaning you can get it alot cheaper
I put that part number into ebay and you can get a new one for $25.
The Oem one you can get on amazon for like $90.
Old 06-28-16, 03:34 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-28-16, 07:23 PM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Thank you Ali! I'm using a Jdm ecu, so I can just put a small filter like you did and I'm going cap those coolant lines .
I'm still learning your vvti coils ecu and igniter wiring, I have almost everything to get it done, but time. I hope I get to it this week. Still need both sensors ait and map to wire everything completely. But I can start doing what I can!
I'm lucky to do this on the engine stand.

I have another question please.
Is it possible to wire my obd1 2jzge nat engine with a Jdm ecu to the 98+ obd2 sc400?
I've been scratching my head thinking if the speedo wiring plugs and everything elise different
And a voltage difference between the obd1 engine and obd2 car?
Old 06-29-16, 06:13 AM
Milon
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Ali, this is a GREAT thread! Keep up the good work brotha! I believe you've helped me before and I am sure I will be back with more questions at some point...
Old 06-29-16, 09:14 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LEXXIUM
Thank you Ali! I'm using a Jdm ecu, so I can just put a small filter like you did and I'm going cap those coolant lines .
I'm still learning your vvti coils ecu and igniter wiring, I have almost everything to get it done, but time. I hope I get to it this week. Still need both sensors ait and map to wire everything completely. But I can start doing what I can!
I'm lucky to do this on the engine stand.

I have another question please.
Is it possible to wire my obd1 2jzge nat engine with a Jdm ecu to the 98+ obd2 sc400?
I've been scratching my head thinking if the speedo wiring plugs and everything elise different
And a voltage difference between the obd1 engine and obd2 car?
i think obd1 sc300 will plug into obd1 sc400, but I am not sure about the 98+ sc400 if its different or not, my guess is it will still plug in but you may have to move some wires around, check the pinouts and match stuff up. worst case if it is different then rewire the body plugs using the 98+ sc400 body plugs. there should be pinouts online for those.

what transmission are you using. I dont think you can reuse the 98+ sc400 trans cause that one is a 5 speed and the 2jz ecu's are meant to run 4 speeds, hopefully you are manual swapping to make things easier. speedo should be fine i think. voltage should be same, just some items are different but when you change the engine harness all of that is covered, just worry about the body connectors by the ecu and remember to attach the ground strap to the engine when installing it.

Thanks Milon, I figured there are alot of people out there getting hung up like I did at first so get alot of the common stuff in one place to help out. I haven't mastered everything obviously but I can usually point people in the right direction
Old 07-04-16, 05:47 AM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Thank you Ali!!! Great points!!! I got w58 goin in for now
Will check on the ecu plugs!!
Old 07-06-16, 05:20 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

What should be the tire air pressure of my MT ET Streets 325/50R15 ?

Bump for more people to take advantage of the knowledge of this guy .
Old 07-07-16, 12:17 AM
smithSC
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Guru,

I am in the process of building my '97 SC300 NA-T. I am going to install a ecumaster standalone ecu and i am wondering what I should do about my ignition/sparkplug setup. I currently run the stock distibutor and cap. I have 550cc injectors and am pushing around 15psi on a good day. i run 91 pump gas.

also do you know anything about tuning these ECUs? i hear its plug and play, pretty easy, but i have no experience and would like to know a little more about the process. (not really looking to take it to run on a dyno and get it tuned right away. just want to get it up and running first)

Thanks in advance for the help!
Old 07-07-16, 08:09 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by gerrb
What should be the tire air pressure of my MT ET Streets 325/50R15 ?

Bump for more people to take advantage of the knowledge of this guy .
Haha not sure that's a na-t question, you probably know better than me. 12-16 psi?

Originally Posted by smithSC
Hi Guru,

I am in the process of building my '97 SC300 NA-T. I am going to install a ecumaster standalone ecu and i am wondering what I should do about my ignition/sparkplug setup. I currently run the stock distibutor and cap. I have 550cc injectors and am pushing around 15psi on a good day. i run 91 pump gas.

also do you know anything about tuning these ECUs? i hear its plug and play, pretty easy, but i have no experience and would like to know a little more about the process. (not really looking to take it to run on a dyno and get it tuned right away. just want to get it up and running first)

Thanks in advance for the help!
You can run the stock stuff and drop the plug gap down till its not breaking up in boost, that can be anywhere from a .024-.028 gap. or you can upgrade to coilpacks and run a larger gap like .032+ and make a little more power.
Tuning ecu's is pretty standard, but I have never used that ecu before. I would guess you will need to get it tuned on a dyno at some point, usually they don't run too well unless you get them tuned, but it should start and idle generally speaking.

Also don't forget the 96 and 97 2jzge have the obd2 lower runners with the funny injectors... so plan to swap that out to the obd1 version if you haven't already or run into fueling issues. You can cap the line on the throttle body coming off the IACV or also swap that to obd1 version that doesn't have that line.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 07-07-16 at 03:03 PM.
Old 07-12-16, 12:21 AM
smithSC
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok so working on my turbo piping. I got all the old piping off and it looks like i have a bit of an oil leak from my turbo. its a t4 a/r .70 turbo from ebay. any experience with these or similar issues? should i just get another turbo or is it salvageable?
Old 07-12-16, 08:14 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

have you run this turbo before? what does old piping mean? intake piping? sometimes that can be a bad sign yes, other times it can be blow by from the valvecover that collects in the intake pipes and intercooler.
usually when a turbo seal is gone its going to leak out the exhaust side and give you a smoke show, then sooner or later it'll self destruct.

ebay turbo's can be hit or miss, so I would say look into a BW turbo or similar you can get good deals on them, or roll the dice again with an ebay unit.
Old 07-14-16, 10:35 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

OK ALIGURU,
I think i have all the parts for your FFIM and a great welder.
Would you please link me to your best explanation (with magic)? I don't want you to have to type it over as i know you have answered the FFIM question before.

Do you have any new tips to add to that? Would you do anything differently?

It's about to go down Man!
Attached Thumbnails NA-T Questions?? Ask the Guru-img_0848.jpg   NA-T Questions?? Ask the Guru-img_0849.jpg  

Quick Reply: NA-T Questions?? Ask the Guru