Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

92 SC400, Sluggish morning starts

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-16, 02:48 PM
Sactolex
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 SC400, Sluggish morning starts

In the morning, or when the car has been sitting for more than 5 hours, the car takes a few seconds to start. Starter turns, and chirps and it can take a full 2 seconds to get it going. Once started, runs fine.

Subsequent starts within an hour or two start immediately with no effort of cranking.

Anyone know why this is happening?

Fuel filter?

I hope its not my starter.....
Old 04-22-16, 02:53 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 226 Likes on 206 Posts

I chased long-crank starts for quite awhile. Don't mess with the fuel filter! That's the most hellish experience imaginable, and it likely won't accomplish anything. It's not the starter, but those long cranks always made me nervous about premature wear on it.

Replacing all the dry rotted vacuum lines helped some, but I tried countless things that had no discernible effect. I think the most significant thing on mine that all but eliminated it was the return line to the fuel tank being not even finger tight. I imagine I was losing fuel pressure whenever the car sat for a bit. Once that hose was replaced, I could breathe a huge sigh of relief.

Also, no one has commented on this, but I'm of the opinion that '92-94 SC400s will always have longer cold starts than '95+ models, simply due to the cold start injector being up in the intake manifold instead of down at the bottom of the runners to the heads. However long it takes the fuel to mix evenly with the air and travel down the runners is how delayed the start-up is going to be. I experimented with a '94 and '95 ECU on my '94 and the latter feels better in that respect.