Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SC-300 N/A Max HP?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-16, 10:39 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by t2d2
Yeah, I've read the same horror stories. I just haven't seen anything along with them ruling out the possibility of modified harnesses. Lots of people wire in resistors or add extra bulbs dangling behind the finish panel to fool the bulb-out warning light on the dash. Those are far more likely causes of fires than simply swapping tail lights. I'm not really familiar with the '97-00 tails, but the '95-96 ones are plug 'n play with '92-94 cars. Just swap the harnesses over along with them and they plug straight in. I don't see how there could be any fire hazard there.
Again, I have to defer to you in that case Good to know the '95-'96 tails (with harnesses) will work without issue.

Madrigal, since you were interested in how much power a 2JZ-GE can make in NA form, here are two VERY tuned engines with ITB setups. The red car has a mandrel bent custom header, built head, ITBs from (I think) 4A-GE engines with fully custom hardware to adapt them to the head and an aftermarket tuneable flexfuel ECU. And it's got a map for E85 fuel. The last dyno I saw was just at 300whp on E85. I believe that's where they pretty much maxed out the engine. The only way to go higher would be to balance and blueprint the engine with exotic lightweight rotating assembly components and a very exotic valvetrain and cam setup. What modest extra horsepower gains those extra steps would make for the thousands more dollars it would cost are questionable. For the second video I have no idea what power that engine makes.

Neither of these engines are anywhere close to being smog legal in CA. Plus, the work is all custom and cost these guys well past what you would spend on a common GTE swap or NA-T build.

Just to show you that it can be done if: money is no object, you have a very good shop that knows what they're doing... and you don't have to worry about smog testing. Of the perhaps 7-10 such ITB NA 2JZ builds like this in the entire world it's unique and very cool... but it still costs far less to go with a turbo setup.

That, and most GTE engines make this kind of power in stock form and 2JZ NA-T builds also make at least this much power at their baselines. And with more torque.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 04-03-16 at 11:15 PM.
Old 04-04-16, 01:50 AM
Madrigal
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
Madrigal, you could also just look for an original 5-speed SC300. There appear to be three legitimate ones on the L.A. Craigslist right now.

I would *strongly* advise against updating the rear tail lights on an older SC for safety reasons of electrical safety but as you probably know you can always update the front bumper, foglamps and side and rear skirts with 97-00 versions.
Just checking in to see how the thread was going and good to see that for my first post i got so many responses. And thanks for helping me out and informing me. My plan might just be to manual swap it because i really love the original black interior and dont want to convert to the tan. I will prob just keep my SC for college considering its low mileage it should last a long time and i can save for something more powerful or just turbo the ***** lol!

Last edited by Madrigal; 04-04-16 at 01:58 AM.
Old 04-04-16, 01:53 AM
Madrigal
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Sactolex
imo,

make it really comfortable/look cool/sound cool and/or just restore/maintain.

and then buy something fast from the factory because CA sucks *****
Yes it does suck *****, and i wouldn't mind to just leave it as the cruiser it is but im really into performance and handling. For some reason i love the SC's handling and want to make something of it but SMOG is a *****
Old 04-04-16, 01:55 AM
Madrigal
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
Again, I have to defer to you in that case Good to know the '95-'96 tails (with harnesses) will work without issue.

Madrigal, since you were interested in how much power a 2JZ-GE can make in NA form, here are two VERY tuned engines with ITB setups. The red car has a mandrel bent custom header, built head, ITBs from (I think) 4A-GE engines with fully custom hardware to adapt them to the head and an aftermarket tuneable flexfuel ECU. And it's got a map for E85 fuel. The last dyno I saw was just at 300whp on E85. I believe that's where they pretty much maxed out the engine. The only way to go higher would be to balance and blueprint the engine with exotic lightweight rotating assembly components and a very exotic valvetrain and cam setup. What modest extra horsepower gains those extra steps would make for the thousands more dollars it would cost are questionable. For the second video I have no idea what power that engine makes.

Neither of these engines are anywhere close to being smog legal in CA. Plus, the work is all custom and cost these guys well past what you would spend on a common GTE swap or NA-T build.

Just to show you that it can be done if: money is no object, you have a very good shop that knows what they're doing... and you don't have to worry about smog testing. Of the perhaps 7-10 such ITB NA 2JZ builds like this in the entire world it's unique and very cool... but it still costs far less to go with a turbo setup.

That, and most GTE engines make this kind of power in stock form and 2JZ NA-T builds also make at least this much power at their baselines. And with more torque.

Brendan's NA ITB Supra Reving - YouTube

ITB Supra - YouTube

s31z 2jz-ge ITB'sCUSTOM - YouTube
Haha awesome find man. ****s bad *** thanks for all the help man!
Old 04-04-16, 04:35 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by Madrigal
Just checking in to see how the thread was going and good to see that for my first post i got so many responses. And thanks for helping me out and informing me. My plan might just be to manual swap it because i really love the original black interior and dont want to convert to the tan. I will prob just keep my SC for college considering its low mileage it should last a long time and i can save for something more powerful or just turbo the ***** lol!
No problem, Madrigal. The emission output limits are one thing but the way the system is set up to require ONLY original setups to achieve them is quite another.

A manual transmission, some suspension tuning and an LSD change things and make the car more interactive. I understand wishing to keep the car you have. The year is very nice and so is you black interior. I was only suggesting that it might be easier in California to start with an original 5-speed and change what you want on it later. But you can convert your car also. If you had a 1998-2000... then you'd have an issue since there were no M/T models to steal the electronics from for those years.

If you decide to do this, find yourself one of these two ECU's used and make sure their capacitors are in good shape:

#89661-24521 — 1997 SC300 M/T California

Or this one:

#89661-14741 — 1997 Supra NA M/T (Cali and Federal -- Toyota's EPC said it's both but this doesn't seem right. Call Toyota and ask them to verify if this P/N is correct for a '97 Supra Non-Turbo M/T Cali-Spec )

But they are very rare ECU's. Of the 120 1997 SC300 5-speeds made I don't know how many of them were Cali-Spec to allow these specific ECU's to be in circulation. I'm not sure how many 1997 Supra Non-Turbo 5-speeds were sold for California.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...s-by-year.html

Then I would find yourself a '95-'97 Tripod W58. You will lose your "TRAC" traction control system when you convert to a 5-speed manual, just FYI.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 04-04-16 at 04:43 AM.