Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

300 No Start Solution

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-16, 11:58 AM
Ozzzzy
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Post 300 No Start Solution

Went to start the 95 300 a few days ago and turned just fine but no start. It gave no codes and I thought, this is it! The forums go on and on about the exploding caps in the ECU and just knew this was finally it. I have a 5sp so I haven't been able to find a spare ECU in the pick a part places and I just knew my luck had run out. I wasn't going to automatically assume it was the ECU, I first have to check the other possibilities so I went to the pick a part place and got a coil and ignitor to swap out first. Now I did a tune up maybe a little over a year ago which included plugs, wires, distributor cap, and rotor. When I got the parts from the yard, I saw the distributor was apart so I thought, what the Hell, I'll grab that as well. I changed the ignitor and coil and still no start. I took off the one year old cap and the rotor contact looked a little worn but nothing else looked wrong and I went and spent $5 on a new rotor. The contacts on the cap looked fine but I decided to clean them while I had it apart and I took a straight slot to it and lo and behold, a layer of "something" flew off. I worked on all the contacts and they all had a build up, a build up the same color almost of the contacts. Put it all together and the car fired right up. I'm making this post because I don't now if it was cheap parts but I repeat, this cap and rotor were barely a year old and the color of the build up on the cap contacts was nearly identical to the contacts themselves, the car went from no start to runs great so don't dismiss the cap and rotor if you have a no start problem.