Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

New timing belt oscillating

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-16, 10:59 PM
Kyushajin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New timing belt oscillating

I just installed a new belt, tenionser, and tensioner pulley. If I rev the car to 4k it flaps . Has anyone had an issue like this?
Old 02-22-16, 05:20 PM
dogwisper
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyushajin
I just installed a new belt, tenionser, and tensioner pulley. If I rev the car to 4k it flaps . Has anyone had an issue like this?
Just a shot in the dark but did you pull the pin on the timing belt tensioner to assure the timing belt is kept under tension? That's about the only explanation I can think of if it's routed properly and the correct belt. If you haven't I would go back and assure the timing marks line up before you pull the pin.
Old 02-23-16, 05:44 PM
Kyushajin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, the grenade pin is pulled. I'm pretty well at a loss, I've replaced everything and even switched out the tensioner on warranty to make sure it wasn't faulty. The first belt I put on had more slack than this one, "I made sure that on install the tensioner side had all the slack and the right side was pulled tight." I'm having some other issues as well, but those are boost problems and from the looks of it the waste gate is hanging open. Literally zero boost, but the t-belt situation has me stumped. Some time in the past a bolt was sheared off for the tensioner in the front of the oil pump and they had backed the t-belt tensioner with a washer/just torqued it down with static pressure on the t-belt. I drilled out the broken bolt installed a tensioner/belt and it fired up perfect/boosted fine, etc. However a week later I'm seeing this t-belt oscillation. The only thing I've not done so far is measure another oil pump housing to make sure nothing is amiss geometrically. If it all squares up I'm thinking of building a sleeve that's about 5mm thick so it get's proper tension. Oh also I've not checked the contact point with my endiscope to make sure both steel pins are lining up. I'll post a some pictures and vids once it stops raining here.