Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

W58 noise?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-16, 08:22 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

I'm sorry to hear that. That's a bad outcome considering how much you paid for it and were lied to.

I'd take a W58 to a shop that is familiar with rebuilding it. Without any other things added your average rebuild might cost $550. In this case, however, I wouldn't put that kind of money into an MK3 version.

Good on the find! If it has a steel sandwich plate it might possibly still be from a 1992 MK3 Supra... it's possible the steel sandwich plate got phased in during its final production. I thought I read that somewhere a while back but I cannot provide you a source to confirm it.

Nonetheless, note the reference pictures you already have comparing MK3, SC and MKIV W58's on the shifter position. If the seller does have an SC version and doesn't know it that would be a much better option for you.

Also, another dead giveaway as you know is that the SC W58 will have a three wire VSS sensor plug on the side. And of course those tail mounting holes.

At this point no matter what I really do recommend you go with an SC300 W58. If you were to find a tripod version you could resell the Cube shifter.
Old 02-27-16, 09:23 PM
tenac2215
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
I'm sorry to hear that. That's a bad outcome considering how much you paid for it and were lied to.

I'd take a W58 to a shop that is familiar with rebuilding it. Without any other things added your average rebuild might cost $550. In this case, however, I wouldn't put that kind of money into an MK3 version.

Good on the find! If it has a steel sandwich plate it might possibly still be from a 1992 MK3 Supra... it's possible the steel sandwich plate got phased in during its final production. I thought I read that somewhere a while back but I cannot provide you a source to confirm it.

Nonetheless, note the reference pictures you already have comparing MK3, SC and MKIV W58's on the shifter position. If the seller does have an SC version and doesn't know it that would be a much better option for you.

Also, another dead giveaway as you know is that the SC W58 will have a three wire VSS sensor plug on the side. And of course those tail mounting holes.

At this point no matter what I really do recommend you go with an SC300 W58. If you were to find a tripod version you could resell the Cube shifter.
Outside looks kinda dirty but I'm not too worried. My exterior was spotless and it's a peice of junk haha.

Missing the speedo sensor so I'd have to buy a new one, but that's not a big deal. Looks to me like an sc w58 though. has the sc style shifter housing, according style tail housing, and the steel plate

Last edited by tenac2215; 02-28-16 at 09:27 PM.
Old 02-29-16, 03:38 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

I'll be happy to verify for you if you have a picture but if you're sure and it shifts without issues I'd go for it. Even if a rebuild refresh is in order it makes much more sense to do it with an SC/MKIV W58 for your application.