Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Installing traction control in non-TC SC400 ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-08, 08:09 PM
trackball
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing traction control in non-TC SC400 ?

I did a search, but didn't find an exact answer to this question.

How hard would it be to enable / install (factory) traction control in an SC400 that didn't come with it preinstalled? I wondering if it is just a matter of picking up the additional ECU, and the shift plate with the TC switches. Does anyone have any insight or personal experience on this?
Old 02-24-08, 08:11 PM
soarer479
Lexus Test Driver

why would you want a thing like traction control
Old 02-24-08, 08:16 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

^Because my friend, some people like control when they don't think they are up to the challenge. *I LOVE MY TC *

Plus its just another safety feature for wet roads and gravely roads.
Old 02-24-08, 08:24 PM
gadgetSC
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by trackball

How hard would it be to enable / install (factory) traction control in an SC400 that didn't come with it preinstalled? I wondering if it is just a matter of picking up the additional ECU, and the shift plate with the TC switches. Does anyone have any insight or personal experience on this?
The stcok TC is junk. You should consider looking into the RaceLogic Traction Control. Its far better than the stock system. It uses the wheel speed sensors and will cut fuel to control wheel spin. It is also fully adjustable. My 2c

gadgetSC
Old 02-24-08, 08:31 PM
CrazySC300
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see that there is a traction control display light on my dashboard and I've never seen it light up before and I don't see the traction control badge on my engine cover...does that mean I don't have TCS?
Old 02-24-08, 08:33 PM
SC4_FI
Pole Position

under the hood, on thedriver's side, there is a small fuse box with 4 fuses, pop that open, if you only have 2 fuses, then you do not have TC...lol
Old 02-24-08, 08:53 PM
trackball
Rookie

The reason I was interested in it was because it is wet / slippery here in Canada for six or eight months of the year, and if it was as simple as throwing in a (now cheap) ECU, then it would have been a nice evening project. I wasn't aware there was an aftermarket one for our cars -- I will look into that. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 02-24-08, 09:12 PM
schwarz
Pole Position

It ain't worth it. I have TC on my car and when the roads are slick here from frost or frozen snow meltoff, I can't get anywhere. Shut the Trac off and I'm good to go with no more problems. Not really sure why it's such a great thing.....
Old 02-24-08, 09:15 PM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

traction kinda sucked if you have aftermarket wheels, the diameter and stagger threw off TC calculations...i spun out with them on...traction control took control way too late...luckily i didn't hit anything
Old 02-24-08, 09:23 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by soarer479
why would you want a thing like traction control
Not everybody wants to star in fast and furious. There are still normal people out there that appreciate a lexus and want it's safety features and options. Drive it like a human, own it like a lexus owner, treat it like a lexus........

many reasons, many reasons.
Old 02-24-08, 09:31 PM
t70 supra
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i never drove on ice with out my trac on scares the hell outta me
Old 02-24-08, 09:44 PM
Photon440
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by trackball

Although I often turn mine off in dry weather, I usually keep it engaged when it's wet or slippery out. But as has been pointed out, the TC is sometimes so aggressive that you will find yourself not even moving in snow or mud.

The TC works by both pulling back the throttle when wheel slippage is detected, and also by applying the ABS brakes to the one spinning wheel to bring it's rotation back in line with the rest.

Anyway, installing it in your car would be a hassle. Besides the ECU and console parts that you mentioned, you'd also need the special throttle body with the sub throttle valve, a TC master cylinder, a TRAC accumulator, plus the TRAC pump, the ABS actuator and TRAC brake actuator, and all the associated plumbing and wiring, including the wiring going to the left and right rear wheel speed sensors and throttle position sensor.

The Lexus repair manual devotes dozens of pages just to the traction control system, it's not a simple piece.

-=Photon=-
Old 02-25-08, 05:31 AM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

i drive my car in chicago/dekalb winter. i have no trac from the factory and love it. the old lexus trac system was in such early stages of its development when installed on our car that it is actually a detriment. the system will only work right with factory sized wheels or stock differential gearing. anything that is replaced that may cause a discrepancy in the vehicle speed and actual wheels speeds will cause the trac to take over either too soon or too late. both can be dangerous. my buddy has a 95 sc300 AT with trac and his car is horrible in heavy rain or snow. my car on the other hand gets up and goes. the trac install would be a hassle and not worth it at all. i dont have trac and i also disabled ABS. it was a nuisance when i went drifting so i turned it off. i liked the braking better without it turned also. i just pulled the ABS solenoid and pump relays from the small fuse box on the drivers side by the master cylinder. i have had the ABS light on but it doesnt bother me.
Old 02-25-08, 09:37 AM
powerjunky
Pole Position

im in texas.never use the trac control...as far as i know its a ton of mods to go from no trac to trac control.

pic shows all sorts of trac stuff on the left
Attached Thumbnails Installing traction control in non-TC SC400 ?-lexus5.jpg  
Old 02-25-08, 01:36 PM
haulin79
Driver

x2 Get the racelogic!
http://www.racelogic.co.uk/?show=Traction_Control

Quick Reply: Installing traction control in non-TC SC400 ?