Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

92 sc300 shut off at traffic light - 12v mod still relevant?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-16, 12:35 PM
beenlookin
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 sc300 shut off at traffic light - 12v mod still relevant?

I've searched .. please don't blast me

On my mobile so excuse any errors.

My 92 sc300 with about 130,000 miles just gave out on me at a red light. I attempted to turn it back on but it only cranked over and over again without turning over. I pushed it into a parking lot had a quick bite to eat and came back out and it fired right back up.

Needless to say, I was worried the entire way home that it would shut off again. It hasn't thus far. Everything I'm looking up and seems to point at the fuel pump ECU. I'm wondering if it's something I should be changing out or if it is something I should mod as seen in many other posts.

The concerning part is, there seems to be a group of people that believe the modification can damage the vehicle in the long run and another group says it's perfectly fine. Any long-term samples on what we should do?

Also, if I wanted to buy a new unit can anyone point me in the right direction for the cheapest one online? Thank you all.
Old 01-29-16, 12:36 PM
beenlookin
Rookie

I should add. Ground cabling alternator and battery are all good.
Old 01-29-16, 01:45 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This happened to me a few times until I finally read a few threads. It ended up being the Fuel pump ECU, so I just moved forward with the 12v mod. I also replaced the fuel pump for peace of mind, and have never had that issue again.
Old 01-29-16, 03:24 PM
beenlookin
Rookie

Originally Posted by Tabaka
This happened to me a few times until I finally read a few threads. It ended up being the Fuel pump ECU, so I just moved forward with the 12v mod. I also replaced the fuel pump for peace of mind, and have never had that issue again.

Thanks. How long ago did you do it? I've read on some forums that people seem to believe it brings premature wear and tear to your car. Also, the pictures on the first page of the 12v mod thread aren't loading... any idea if they've been moved or anything?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...tures-faq.html

Or maybe its my phone/comp.
Old 01-29-16, 03:55 PM
Duck05
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 241 Posts

Not to "pile on" to your worries or concerns, being a '92 the main ECU can be involved with this condition as well.

There are good services to refurbish the main ECU but that means the car will be down (typically a week or less) for that service to be performed. (Tanin is referred to the most).
Old 01-29-16, 04:13 PM
beenlookin
Rookie

First year model issues huh? Any way I could test?
Old 01-29-16, 04:19 PM
Duck05
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 241 Posts

Not really "first year" issues at all. The capacitors on the circuit boards with in the ECUs tend to begin to leak anywhere between 15-20 years (sometimes longer but that is luck) and the car will start to do some really "wonky" things.....

Your ECU may be in top notch shape but until you pull it out and inspect it you will never know....

Lots of threads on this topic to see....
Old 01-29-16, 04:23 PM
beenlookin
Rookie

You know what, I believe I did this 2 years ago and I recall all the capacitors being okay but I will look again. Thanks for the info.

Any idea how to get those pics working on the 12v mod thread? Im not sure if they're no longer hosted or what.
Old 02-02-16, 05:01 AM
TaninAuto
Sponsor

Received 110 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Duck05
Not to "pile on" to your worries or concerns, being a '92 the main ECU can be involved with this condition as well.

There are good services to refurbish the main ECU but that means the car will be down (typically a week or less) for that service to be performed. (Tanin is referred to the most).

Hi, Tanin Auto Electronix here. Thanks for the mention on this thread. We do work on the SC300 ECU rebuilds and repairs and can help you out on this issue with your car. If you need the work expedited we can work with you on that, as well as include upgraded shipping to return it to you faster so you are not without your car as long. Just mention when you call us that you talked to us on the forum. We do take extra good care of our forum friends!

http://www.taninautoelectronix.com/1...ecu_repair.htm

Let us know if you have any questions at all on this service. We are here to help any time!

Thanks,
www.taninautoelectronix.com