Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

96 sc300 5sp cali ecu vs. non-cali?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-16, 06:16 PM
scblackout
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 96 sc300 5sp cali ecu vs. non-cali?

I've about given up on getting my cars ecu to work. It's been sent in twice and is now completely doa.

My car is a 96 sc300 5sp (california) model. I did manage to find another 96 5sp ecu but the owner has no clue if it is a cali spec or not. I know the cali cars have a 3rd o2 sensor, but beyond that I am not aware of further differences.

Should it be fairly safe to try to fire the car with this new ecu?
Old 01-22-16, 07:39 PM
mikef
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try it but if it miss fires then you know
Old 01-22-16, 08:49 PM
freakness
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by scblackout
I've about given up on getting my cars ecu to work. It's been sent in twice and is now completely doa.

My car is a 96 sc300 5sp (california) model. I did manage to find another 96 5sp ecu but the owner has no clue if it is a cali spec or not. I know the cali cars have a 3rd o2 sensor, but beyond that I am not aware of further differences.

Dude,

The ECUs have part numbers on them. If you know the part number it's easy to find out whether it's a Federal or California ECU. Federal ECU's normally have the part number printed in black, California ECUs normally have the part number printed in a purple/violet. Did you send your ECU to Tanin?

Check out this link....

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...s-by-year.html

Last edited by freakness; 01-22-16 at 08:55 PM.
Old 01-23-16, 12:27 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,216 Likes on 854 Posts

^^ That list is still incomplete (and will be expanded) as part numbers are confirmed very randomly but they are all part numbers either confirmed in the Toyota EPC system or by visually confirming the computers in pictures.

scblackout, I don't have a part number for 1996 SC300 5-speed Federal Emissions cars yet (feel free to throw in the one you were given).

Your original '96 Cali-Spec M/T ECU should be labeled with P/N: 89661-24470. That is a 1996 SC300 M/T California computer. If you have a Federal ECU it should start the car and run it but you'll have a CEL because it will not know what to do with the #3 O2 sensor it will be getting signals from. I'm not sure of the other differences from Federal 1996 SC300's.

I'm sorry to hear your ECU is non-repairable. Was that confirmed by Tanin?

Yes, you can drive on another 5-speed ECU but you won't be able to pass a smog inspection with it. You'll need to pick up another 89661-24470 to make it perfect again.

The trouble with 5-speed ECUs is that usually they were a different part number for almost every year for Cali models. It was slightly less frequently changed for each successive Federal year.
Old 01-25-16, 06:00 AM
TaninAuto
Sponsor

Received 109 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by scblackout

Hi, Tanin Auto Electronix here. Had you sent the ECU to us? If so, inbox us and we can help you out!

Thanks,
www.taninautoelectronix.com

Old 01-25-16, 11:00 AM
scblackout
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TaninAuto
Hi, Tanin Auto Electronix here. Had you sent the ECU to us? If so, inbox us and we can help you out!

Thanks,
I am going to wait until the new ecu arrives and I have a chance to test it out before proceeding.
Old 01-26-16, 01:21 PM
scblackout
Pole Position

The new ecu arrived today but unfortunately the sticker on the outside is to far gone to see any type of serial number. All I can see is that it says M/T and is purple instead of black. My old cali ecu has a black sticker.

Upon trying the new ecu the car was indeed able to fire, however it barely runs and when given any gas it simply floods and dies. This does answer a few questions though. First is that my old ecu is indeed dead, and second that the 96 cali car will not run without a cali ecu. The strange part is that the check engine light does not come on when running with the non-cali ecu. It blinks when the key is first put in, but nothing afterwards, even when the car is running so badly.

At this point it seems my only option is to go ahead and continue with switching over to the gforce tt ecu as finding a 96 5sp cali ecu is a serious long shot.
Old 01-26-16, 07:21 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,216 Likes on 854 Posts

That sucks, scblackout :/ I'm sorry it's that specific. I had better luck with my 93 Cali M/T SC running a 95 Cali M/T ECU. It drove fine but I had a CEL.

In your case it might be related to 1996+ SC300's having the crank sensor on the oil pump. If the ECU you got might not have been from a true 1996-97 (Federal or Cali) that might have been why it didn't fire. Or it could have had to do directly with OBD2 wiring.

Aside, I've noticed most of these ECU labels deteriorating now. I recommend everyone use some clear packing tape to carefully lay over and stabilize what printing is there. I also use quick print label makers to copy down the P/N, model, transmission and vehicle year info to place elsewhere on the ECU top casings.

Don't give up. Cali M/T ECU's are hard to find but they do show up here and on eBay.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 01-26-16 at 07:25 PM.
Old 01-27-16, 08:33 AM
scblackout
Pole Position

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
That sucks, scblackout :/ I'm sorry it's that specific. I had better luck with my 93 Cali M/T SC running a 95 Cali M/T ECU. It drove fine but I had a CEL.

In your case it might be related to 1996+ SC300's having the crank sensor on the oil pump. If the ECU you got might not have been from a true 1996-97 (Federal or Cali) that might have been why it didn't fire. Or it could have had to do directly with OBD2 wiring.

Aside, I've noticed most of these ECU labels deteriorating now. I recommend everyone use some clear packing tape to carefully lay over and stabilize what printing is there. I also use quick print label makers to copy down the P/N, model, transmission and vehicle year info to place elsewhere on the ECU top casings.

Don't give up. Cali M/T ECU's are hard to find but they do show up here and on eBay.
The seller of the ecu is going to send me the vin# from the car it came from so that we can try to further verify information. Either way it isn't going to work but will add future information for other people here. It seems that you can only use the matching ecu at least in 96 cali 5sp models.

I had no idea that the crank sensor was on the oil pump for 96+ models. Glad I found out now as I am also collecting parts for rebuilding a second 96 motor that I picked up for the turbo build. Always appreciate info saving me from wasting money on the wrong parts.

I've put an ebay notify feature into my acct so that if one comes available I can grab it. In the meantime I am going to finish collecting parts for the tt ecu upgrade and just go that route for now. I don't really see any other options to getting the car running any time soon.