Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

CD009 Swap With JZ - Calling All Members Who Have Done It!!

Old 01-18-16, 01:03 PM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default CD009 Swap With JZ - Calling All Members Who Have Done It!!

Hey All,

I'm looking for information from anyone who has DONE the swap for cliffnotes and parts list of what they used. It would be nice to have this info in a 2-3 page thread, as opposed to scattered across multiple threads.

I am again considering CD009 vs ATF stage 3 built auto. My SC400 is currently 1jz single turbo, and auto.

So, please tell me what hardware you used: what year 350z trans, flywheel, clutch, shifter tripod/mods, pedal assembly, rear diff, bellhousing adapter, speed sensor, driveshaft, flywheel and bellhousing bolts, etc...

Please also give some insight into level of difficulty. Did you have to bang out the tunnel, did you have to mill off part of the bellhousing, etc.

Please, anything and everything that you can think of that is required to do the swap.

The idea is to have a variation of parts lists in a nice, efficient, easy to locate thread. Then I will do a documented build thread if I decide to go ahead with CD009

Thanks a lot!!
Old 01-18-16, 03:46 PM
TRDLEVY
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check this thread out. He did the swap to his SC. I think it starts on the 25th page.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/bui...ade-sc300.html

Levy

Last edited by TRDLEVY; 01-18-16 at 09:33 PM.
Old 01-18-16, 08:42 PM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

I did it, been running on it a couple years now. Pros and cons to everything. Pros are a strong trans at a low price. Cons are it's a big trans so it take a little work getting it in there.
Old 01-19-16, 04:09 AM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TRDLEVY
Check this thread out. He did the swap to his SC. I think it starts on the 25th page.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/bui...ade-sc300.html

Levy
Thanks Levy, I will read through this thread as well. I read through the 350z trans adapter thread some yesterday and its just a lot of JZ and UZ stuff mixed in together, so trying to get some solid straight JZ info here!

Originally Posted by Halon
I did it, been running on it a couple years now. Pros and cons to everything. Pros are a strong trans at a low price. Cons are it's a big trans so it take a little work getting it in there.
Thanks Halon. It would be great to hear what all of your specs are. Also, how much power are you putting through it?

Thanks guys,

Keith
Old 01-19-16, 05:31 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

Keep watch of this thread

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...-Adapter-Plate

If it goes anywhere , can be a good alternative. It uses the JZ/R154 bell housing so no size issue /banging tunnel ... a lot of similarity in some options on how the TH400 had been mated successfully in 1500+ 2JZ setups
Old 01-19-16, 05:48 AM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by gerrb
Keep watch of this thread

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...-Adapter-Plate

If it goes anywhere , can be a good alternative. It uses the JZ/R154 bell housing so no size issue /banging tunnel ... a lot of similarity in some options on how the TH400 had been mated successfully in 1500+ 2JZ setups
Thanks Gerry. I guess this would be more ideal than the Collins adapter route. I guess I will have to limp on this strained auto for a little while more. Hopefully they have something ready soon, and reasonably priced..

Keith
Old 01-19-16, 05:54 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Those working on it is an SF vendor / sponsor so I believe they will have good / completed solutions or options.

The good I see is they are also working on the shifter / rear of transmission solutions.. it was meant for the MKIV which is basically same with our SCs but not totally depending of SC year. But you can always change the tunnel if ever . You know shifter location / work is another thing that needs to be considered when going with a CD009 . Good shifting experience in a transmission is something I value for me to use such an option. I am not fan of rowing boats, lol.

If this will pan out and truly I hear good feedback from initial users , I will be willing to try it on my Old Man's Tan which is making north of 1K rwhp right now cause I doubt my ATF Built Tranny will last long at that power for which it wasn't rated to anyway. It probably will since I will never use that power on that streets, lol. I just took a risk for the dyno . Didn't expect it to survive but it did. Are there internal damage ? I don't know .. .so far it functions just same and I don't hear any noise from the the tranny. Patrick of ATF told me to keep it at around 850rwhp but it held higher on the dyno but I don't want a ticking time bomb with the power I have on that car.

Last edited by gerrb; 01-19-16 at 06:36 AM.
Old 01-19-16, 05:59 AM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by LoveSCs
Thanks Levy, I will read through this thread as well. I read through the 350z trans adapter thread some yesterday and its just a lot of JZ and UZ stuff mixed in together, so trying to get some solid straight JZ info here!

Thanks Halon. It would be great to hear what all of your specs are. Also, how much power are you putting through it?

Thanks guys,

Keith
I'm at 560hp. Trans shifts very smooth. Only 'conplaint' I have is how big the trans is. Other than that it's been good to me. I have the Collins kit, Collins driveshaft, and a JWT flywheel and clutch.
Old 01-19-16, 06:38 AM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

Those working on it is an SF vendor / sponsor so I believe they will have good / completed solutions or options.

The good I see is they are also working on the shifter / rear of transmission solutions.. it was meant for the MKIV which is basically same with our SCs but not totally depending of SC year. But you can always change the tunnel if ever . You know shifter location / work is another thing that needs to be considered when going with a CD009 .

If this will pan out , I will be willing to try it on my Old Man's Tan which is making north of 1K rwhp right now cause I doubt my ATF Built Tranny will last long at that power for which it wasn't rated to anyway. It probably will since I will never use that power on that streets, lol. I just took a risk for the dyno . Didn't expect it to survive but it did. Are there internal damage ? I don't know .. .so far it functions just same and I don't hear any noise from the the tranny. Patrick of ATF told me to keep it at around 850rwhp but it held higher on the dyno but I don't want a ticking time bomb with the power I have on that car.
Lol, well its good to know that it at least held over 1k rwhp! I had my mind made up on going built ATF, but then thinking of resale value and the sheer fun of stick made me reconsider. Even though it could be a pain in the @$$ to fit this CD009 trans in, it will help me in my above reasonings.

Originally Posted by Halon
I'm at 560hp. Trans shifts very smooth. Only 'conplaint' I have is how big the trans is. Other than that it's been good to me. I have the Collins kit, Collins driveshaft, and a JWT flywheel and clutch.
Thanks Halon. I just noticed your parts list that you posted in this thread on this page:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...dapter-11.html

Looks like you used the auto trans flex plate and used a flywheel adapter? Also, can you give some details on what you ended up doing to properly locate the shifter?

Also, did you have to do any bellhousing modifications?

Keith
Old 01-19-16, 06:49 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Wasn't there another company who did an adapter for the CD009 on the 2JZ ?

I will see what that SF Sponsor's options are with regards the shifter and the initial feedback from users then decide if it is something I want to try on the old man's tan. Shifting experience is very important for me before I use another manual transmission as an option. I hate rowing boats , lol.

Last edited by gerrb; 01-19-16 at 07:02 AM.
Old 01-19-16, 07:10 AM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

Wasn't there another company who did an adapter for the CD009 on the 2JZ ?

I will see what that SF Sponsor's options are with regards the shifter and the initial feedback from users then decide if it is something I want to try on the old man's tan. Shifting experience is very important for me before I use another manual transmission as an option. I hate rowing boats , lol.
lol, that's funny. And yes, there is another company by the name of Maverick motorsports that I read about. I just checked out their site, and they seem to also supply a pretty comprehensive solution similar to Collins. Maverick also mentions a shifter bracket setup that relocates shifter to 28.5" from face of bellhousing

Last edited by LoveSCs; 01-19-16 at 07:31 AM.
Old 01-19-16, 09:11 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Looks like also their solution will have a shifter directly on top of the 7 bolt cover at 27" ... so no stupid shifter extensions which makes the whole experience of adapted transmissions a boat rowing experience. In higher speeds and RPMs , shifting and hoping you nail the right gear ain't funny and can be costly .

But truly once I see a supra or sc making at least +1000rwhp , rather +800 ft/lbs of torque on this transmission .. I am game provided no boat rowing and no stupid leaks like the R154s leaking at north of 500rwhp or torque . I just sold one of my extra brand new 6speed tranny I was hoarding and kept one as reserve since I have 5 cars now with the V160 6speed .... for $6500 which was still a bargain considering some dealers / shop selling what leftover they have for $8800.

Last edited by gerrb; 01-19-16 at 09:21 AM.
Old 01-19-16, 09:36 AM
estomax
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im interested in the bellhousing swap version. i currently have one of the earlier collins swap kits and i like it, except for the custom frankenstein shifter relocation i had to do to to get it in the right spot on the SC chassis and the rattle at idle and low rpms from the transmission (most likely due to the flywheel not isolating the engine pulses enough). i also had to shave my bellhousing 5/8" which was an added expense / transmission takeapart project.

apparently the newer collins kits (or maybe newer 350z trannies) dont have the rattle issue (at least NOLAGG's latest swap i saw).

This is the right choice in the long run though, the V160s are ridiculous.
Old 01-19-16, 09:45 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

I guess that is one inherent problem of too many parts pieced together just to make one thing work on the JZ.... more parts potentially breaking or having problems. If vibrations / pulses are not properly isolated (which are worst on higher rpms / torque) , can cause premature transmission wear and/or crank walk on the engine once those thrust washers on the middle engine main cap gets a beating.

At the end of the day , all the costs added together , work and time added together, driving experience you get out of it and longevity has to be considered to decide whether an alternative is worthwhile doing. It is not just , oh.. it is at least half the cost of a V160. But the problem now is even complicated... they have stopped producing the v160 so truly an alternative needs to be in order , lol.
Old 01-19-16, 10:15 AM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by estomax
im interested in the bellhousing swap version. i currently have one of the earlier collins swap kits and i like it, except for the custom frankenstein shifter relocation i had to do to to get it in the right spot on the SC chassis and the rattle at idle and low rpms from the transmission (most likely due to the flywheel not isolating the engine pulses enough). i also had to shave my bellhousing 5/8" which was an added expense / transmission takeapart project.

apparently the newer collins kits (or maybe newer 350z trannies) dont have the rattle issue (at least NOLAGG's latest swap i saw).

This is the right choice in the long run though, the V160s are ridiculous.
What are all of your specs, estomax?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: CD009 Swap With JZ - Calling All Members Who Have Done It!!