Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

CD009 Swap With JZ - Calling All Members Who Have Done It!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-16, 03:04 PM
SERIALN9NE
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Honesty the MAIN problem with this trans is the size. Most Lexus's clear the bell housing portion, but the MAIN gear section is around 12" tall therefore once you have the thing "in" the car it's hanging down about 1-2". Even 240 guys say this.

So essentially the trans swap consists of raising the tunnel and then making everything fit like factory. Luckily most Lexus's have miles underneath the consoles and everything can be hidden by a competent person.

I've used Maverick adaptor/flywheels and so far the best. I've seen Collins (not impressed) and currently have XAT in a UCF20 1998 Celsior (LS400) and man, terrible. Maverick hands down easiest solution. Use any single disc 350z clutch which for MOST ppl is good enough. If your making 700hp figuring out a clutch shouldn't be a big deal for u or your desired shop.
We have a single disc clutch on a 600hp LS3 drift car With no problem for three years.

As far as shifters. …

G.

SERIALNINE sedankings.
Old 02-01-16, 03:16 PM
SERIALN9NE
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

CD009 Swap With JZ - Calling All Members Who Have Done It!!-image-3954216133.jpg

SERIALNINE sedankings.
Old 02-01-16, 07:02 PM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

hmmm OK, well that's good to know that it's the gear section of the trans that gets tight. That's got to make it pretty fun to try and get to the top bellhousing bolts... I assumed it would've been the bellhousing that was the tight fit.

Nice shifter too!
Old 02-01-16, 07:36 PM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

For my SC, the actual gear part is tight sure, but that's not my issue. My issue is that the bellhousing is so damn big, that makes getting it in/out of the car with the engine installed a pain.
Old 02-01-16, 08:28 PM
Maximo018
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm I can't wait to see it installed. With the center console
Old 02-02-16, 05:15 AM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Halon
For my SC, the actual gear part is tight sure, but that's not my issue. My issue is that the bellhousing is so damn big, that makes getting it in/out of the car with the engine installed a pain.
Did you have to bang in the tunnel at all? What was the most difficult part, getting to the top bellhousing bolts I imagine? Any tips to getting it all in? Thanks
Old 02-02-16, 06:18 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

That 29.5" shifter location is perfect for us with MKIVs and later SC300 5speed . At least we have a couple of options in that area now and a solution to one of our concerns about having a boat rowing shifting experience... hoping to land the shifter into the right gear.

So I wonder if anybody had experienced the twin clutch solution using Mavericks adapter since SerialN9NE seems to have good experience with them and this solution didn't need any tunnel banging to get it in.

If I will try this into my OldManTan which I wouldn't mind since the second hand trans are cheap , I want to push it to a bit more than 1000rwhp 800lbs/ft where the car is right now. If it doesn't , at least we get to know first hand . What I am worried is the twin clutch setup ... I hate to be a guinea pig and spend $1600 on something I am not sure about. At this point at least two points have been resolved .. shifter location and fitment .

Last edited by gerrb; 02-02-16 at 06:43 AM.
Old 02-02-16, 09:05 AM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SERIALN9NE
Honesty the MAIN problem with this trans is the size. Most Lexus's clear the bell housing portion, but the MAIN gear section is around 12" tall therefore once you have the thing "in" the car it's hanging down about 1-2". Even 240 guys say this.

So essentially the trans swap consists of raising the tunnel and then making everything fit like factory. Luckily most Lexus's have miles underneath the consoles and everything can be hidden by a competent person.

I've used Maverick adaptor/flywheels and so far the best. I've seen Collins (not impressed) and currently have XAT in a UCF20 1998 Celsior (LS400) and man, terrible. Maverick hands down easiest solution. Use any single disc 350z clutch which for MOST ppl is good enough. If your making 700hp figuring out a clutch shouldn't be a big deal for u or your desired shop.
We have a single disc clutch on a 600hp LS3 drift car With no problem for three years.

As far as shifters. …

G.

SERIALNINE sedankings.

What is so different between the Maverick kit and Collins kit? What is it about the Collins kit that leaves more to be desired? Please explain, because I am looking to pull the trigger here on a kit in the next day or two..

Originally Posted by gerrb
That 29.5" shifter location is perfect for us with MKIVs and later SC300 5speed . At least we have a couple of options in that area now and a solution to one of our concerns about having a boat rowing shifting experience... hoping to land the shifter into the right gear.

So I wonder if anybody had experienced the twin clutch solution using Mavericks adapter since SerialN9NE seems to have good experience with them and this solution didn't need any tunnel banging to get it in.

If I will try this into my OldManTan which I wouldn't mind since the second hand trans are cheap , I want to push it to a bit more than 1000rwhp 800lbs/ft where the car is right now. If it doesn't , at least we get to know first hand . What I am worried is the twin clutch setup ... I hate to be a guinea pig and spend $1600 on something I am not sure about. At this point at least two points have been resolved .. shifter location and fitment .

Are we indeed sure that the Maverick kit requires no tunnel banging? As far as I can tell, the Maverick adapter is very similar in thickness to the Collins adapter, and should therefore put the trans in the same exact spot. So fitment should be identical. Marko (estomax) said that he did not require tunnel banging, although tight, with his Collins kit (his kit required 5/8" milled off of bellhousing). I don't know how much of a difference that 5/8" made.. And hoping to hear back from Halon about his tunnel experience
Old 02-02-16, 12:50 PM
estomax
Lead Lap

im going to have to pull the trigger on the serialnine shifter sooner or later once i get tired of my home made solution, that looks great!

the biggest concern with this swap remaining for me is the transmission rattle that makes the car sound broken at idle. i hope that gets solved with the newer collins kit or maybe the maverick kit takes care of it. it is annoying to say the least.
Old 02-02-16, 01:21 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

rattling is more often caused by the flywheel / clutch combo ... especially with light aluminum flywheels. The dual mass steel flywheels do not have such problems.

what clutch are you using ?
Old 02-02-16, 01:22 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

rattling is more often caused by the flywheel / clutch combo ... especially with light aluminum flywheels. The dual mass steel flywheels do not have such problems. That is why I hate being a guinea pig especially with clutches, that ratlling will drive me nuts.

what clutch are you using ?
Old 02-02-16, 01:44 PM
estomax
Lead Lap

the flywheel i have is the collins one and it is a 3 piece flywheel from the looks of it.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7r...ew?usp=sharing

clutch is sprung 6 puck that came with collins kit, and a pressure plate, no specific info on those beyond 420 ft lbs holding capacity if i remember correctly. grabs pretty hard.

i'll have to follow up with collins if he has a dual mass flywheel to go around with these swaps now, i'd gladly pull my trans to get rid of the noise.
Old 02-02-16, 02:09 PM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

I'm pretty sure that both the Maverick kit and new Collins kit shouldn't have that problem because with them being the "no bellhousing milling" design, they had to add that 5/8" onto the flywheel. The flywheels are much more beefier now.

Also, I'm surprised that you are having rattling issues with the sprung disc.. That sucks
Old 02-02-16, 07:49 PM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

I too am interested how the Maverick kit makes it so you don't have to bang the tunnel. I had to bang mine a lot by the firewall area. It's not the kit, it's just the size of the bellhousing on the trans. The only way I can imagine the Maverick kit not requiring tunnel beating is if it requires you to mill the bellhousing giving you a little added room to get it installed. And if that is the case, that's not much of an argument because your just picking your poison at that point. Beat tunnel, or take trans apart and get bellhousing machined.
Old 02-03-16, 05:26 AM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Halon
I too am interested how the Maverick kit makes it so you don't have to bang the tunnel. I had to bang mine a lot by the firewall area. It's not the kit, it's just the size of the bellhousing on the trans. The only way I can imagine the Maverick kit not requiring tunnel beating is if it requires you to mill the bellhousing giving you a little added room to get it installed. And if that is the case, that's not much of an argument because your just picking your poison at that point. Beat tunnel, or take trans apart and get bellhousing machined.
Darn, so you had some banging to do... I guess I will just have to see how nice it wants to play with me when I go to throw it in

Quick Reply: CD009 Swap With JZ - Calling All Members Who Have Done It!!