Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Another Window Regulator Thread?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-16, 02:09 PM
Deegee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Another Window Regulator Thread?

So I had the car jacked up on one side for the better half of one day and now my passenger window doesn't want to go up at all. It will go down but it won't go up. I took the door panel off and the only way I can pull the window up is with my hands. If it's all the way up I can use the controls to lower it without any problems. I hear the sound of the motor working, so does this mean my window regulator is bad?

Prior to this, both windows took longer than usual to roll up and down.

Last edited by Deegee; 01-14-16 at 02:43 PM.
Old 01-13-16, 07:55 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Sounds like you broke the ground (??) wire that is inside the harness, in one of the door hinges. I'm guessing the door was opened at some point. Since you live in texas, (a drier environment) broken wires aren't that uncommon.

You are saying that the motor sounds like its working but it can't get the window up?
Old 01-14-16, 02:46 PM
Deegee
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SC400slide
Sounds like you broke the ground (??) wire that is inside the harness, in one of the door hinges. I'm guessing the door was opened at some point. Since you live in texas, (a drier environment) broken wires aren't that uncommon.

You are saying that the motor sounds like its working but it can't get the window up?

The passenger side door was never opened during this time. I think a bad ground would cause the window regulator to not receive power at all.

I have a hunch that perhaps the wire isn't catching the plastic bracket that the regulator uses to push up and down the window on the steel rail. I'll need to take a closer look but that is just speculation.
Old 01-14-16, 03:15 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 549 Likes on 369 Posts

It's common for the wire to break in the driver side door harness making the passenger window stop working, but it is weird that your window will go down and not up. Normally it won't go up or down when the wire starts to fray.
Old 01-14-16, 06:20 PM
Deegee
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe
It's common for the wire to break in the driver side door harness making the passenger window stop working, but it is weird that your window will go down and not up. Normally it won't go up or down when the wire starts to fray.
Would I be able to hear the motor working when I attempt to raise/lower the passenger window if this harness breaks?

I'm still kind of confused how to even get the regulator out of the door to begin troubleshooting. I'm guessing I need to remove the class completely before dissembling the regulator itself.
Old 01-14-16, 07:06 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Originally Posted by Deegee
The passenger side door was never opened during this time. I think a bad ground would cause the window regulator to not receive power at all.

I have a hunch that perhaps the wire isn't catching the plastic bracket that the regulator uses to push up and down the window on the steel rail. I'll need to take a closer look but that is just speculation.
When my sc passengers window stopped working, it was due to a completely broken wire in the drivers side hinge harness. The window would go up but not down. My motor also made a noise but wouldn't go down at all.
Old 01-26-16, 05:11 PM
Deegee
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SC400slide
When my sc passengers window stopped working, it was due to a completely broken wire in the drivers side hinge harness. The window would go up but not down. My motor also made a noise but wouldn't go down at all.
How can I test this theory?

Is there a DIY anywhere that walks me through the removal of the window regulator system? I haven't had any luck finding one yet.

Edit: NVM found a good thread regarding the removal etc. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...models-16.html

Last edited by Deegee; 01-26-16 at 05:44 PM.
Old 01-26-16, 06:31 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

How can I test this theory?

Is there a DIY anywhere that walks me through the removal of the window regulator system? I haven't had any luck finding one yet.

Edit: NVM found a good thread regarding the removal etc. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...models-16.html
Open up the rubber that covers the harness, dig around, find a wire that has frayed.

Other than that, I don't think there is another way.
Old 01-27-16, 06:00 AM
lateralnw
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can pull the window up is with my hands. .
Based on what you have said I would say it is a broken mechanism. To test this is quite simple, try the other door and see if you can move your window up or down without using the switch and I will bet you, you can't.

As you mention later in the thread you think it is the mechanism. Specifically the plastic bit which is what I reckon is more like it.

Here is a photo to show you the places you should find the bolt locations.
Note the plastic is off the window mechanism because it "popped/snapped"
I just added another photo of the finished repair... it looks ugly but it has been working for about 3 years.
I fixed it and will post some more info when I put the video together.

Window regulator winder removed from car door

Window winder repair solution/result. Been working for ~3years

Window winder nut locations

Last edited by lateralnw; 01-27-16 at 06:45 AM. Reason: added photos
Old 01-27-16, 01:48 PM
Deegee
Lexus Test Driver

@lateralnw Thank you so much for providing these clearer pictures with text. I plan on tackling this project this coming weekend and I'm not sure what I'll find when I take the regulators off but this will be extremely helpful.
Old 01-30-16, 01:38 PM
Deegee
Lexus Test Driver

How on earth can you take these off?! Took a 14mm wrench and also a 14mm universal socket and it just won't grab all the way. The wrench sometimes grabbed... What's the trick to getting this damn thing off so I can pull the window out and begin fixing the regulator!!!

Another Window Regulator Thread?-forumrunner_20160130_153646.png
Old 01-30-16, 07:42 PM
lateralnw
Rookie

How on earth can you take these off?! Took a 14mm wrench and also a 14mm universal socket and it just won't grab all the way. The wrench sometimes grabbed... What's the trick to getting this damn thing off so I can pull the window out and begin fixing the regulator!!!

Attachment 378845
I used long nose pliers that could handle the twist required. You have to be careful and use a firm twist motion. No doubt there is a tool designed to remove them but I didn't look for one.

You put the point of the pliers in the "holes" directly opposite each other and using two hands on the pliers twist to undo them.

Hope that helps.
Old 04-07-16, 03:01 PM
Deegee
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lateralnw
I used long nose pliers that could handle the twist required. You have to be careful and use a firm twist motion. No doubt there is a tool designed to remove them but I didn't look for one.

You put the point of the pliers in the "holes" directly opposite each other and using two hands on the pliers twist to undo them.

Hope that helps.
Had no luck trying to do this, perhaps the grip of the needle nose I was using might of contributed to that...

Is there any way to remove the regulator WITHOUT removing the glass? I contemplated shattering it just to make this job easier...
Old 05-11-16, 02:26 AM
lateralnw
Rookie

Had no luck trying to do this, perhaps the grip of the needle nose I was using might of contributed to that...
Did you ever resolve this?