Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Traction control ISSUE

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-15, 03:47 PM
Savager
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traction control ISSUE

Hello, im out of ideas on my traction control problem.

Sometimes it works just fine

Sometimes when i spin my tires it goes off and never comes back on, only if I restart the engine

And sometimes when i switch it off it wont come on by pressing the button.

Any ideas what it could be?

P.S Looking for SC300 OEM part number: Centre console manual with heated seats (pic included)
Old 11-22-15, 06:09 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Driftmotion.com has them
Old 11-22-15, 07:22 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,216 Likes on 854 Posts

Savager, welcome to the forum!

^^ As Studiogeek suggested, Driftmotion will sell you one of the 5-speed manual bezels. Toyota/Lexus probably has them still as well.

Since you're in Lithuania I cannot be certain of your model spec being the same as ours but I must assume you have an automatic SC300 and not a 5-speed manual model, because if you do have a 5-speed manual SC you wouldn't have the TRAC option.

I am not sure exactly what the problem might be but I would try swapping out your TRAC ECU for an identical one with the same part number from Ebay. It could be control related rather than hardware related, but I am no expert on diagnosing TRAC system issues.

As for the 5-speed manual bezel you want, ALL 5-speed bezels can be fitted with the heated seat switches. The switches are identical and pop into the "Lexus" area on the shift bezel. It's just a blank panel that can be popped out (or replaced). I believe Driftmotion just opts to sell the bezel with or without that little blank-out "Lexus" panel.

Now, while the PHYSICAL heated switch assembly itself the same for auto or manual bezels (or TRAC and No-TRAC bezels) the wiring harness connector is different for the 5-speed manual chassis harness or Automatic chassis harness. The 5-speed style chassis connector is smaller and flat whereas the Automatic style chassis harness connector is thicker and will contain a provision for the "TRAC OFF" button.

I am not sure that the heated seat switches with the mini harness are available from Toyota/Lexus any longer but here are the part numbers. I would order (or find used) the one that fits the spec of your original chassis configuration (ie: 5-speed style for an original SC300 5-speed... or Automatic w/TRAC for an original Automatic SC300/400 W/TRAC... or Automatic with NO TRAC for an original Automatic with NO TRAC). If finding a switch set used, you can always modify the harness if needed.

If you didn't know already, if you're converting to a 5-speed manual you will lose your TRAC function anyway and the bezel you're seeking will have no location for the TRAC OFF button.

Here are the part numbers for the switches (no idea of availability new):

84751-24010 SWITCH SC300, SC400, Manual Trans
84751-24020 SWITCH SC300, SC400, Auto Trans w/o Traction Control
84751-24060 SWITCH SC300, SC400, Auto Trans w/Traction Control

If it helps, here's a recent thread I made on the topic of the seat heat switches for my 5-speed model, however I am intending to re-purpose them with different functions. The visual differences are laid out there, however.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...ter-bezel.html

Also, I am attaching the heat seat switch schematic so that you can see the differences in the connector types for each console harness application.
Attached Files

Last edited by KahnBB6; 11-23-15 at 03:32 PM. Reason: Grammatical corrections
Old 11-23-15, 09:59 AM
Savager
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for a big reply.
Im driving SC400 auto and im planing on doing conversion to manual.
I want it to look clean, so i searching for OEM number. Lexus dealership told me they can get anything i want for my lexus if i have loads of money and OEM part number

For the traction control issue, i need it only for technical inspection, I can't drive my car on public roads without technical inspection aprooval. Only traction control aint letting me to pass it.
Old 11-23-15, 03:42 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,216 Likes on 854 Posts

^^ Welcome, Savager.

The malfunction issue I cannot help with, sorry. I just don't know enough about the TRAC system diagnosis to offer anything there :/

However if you are planning to convert your SC400 to a manual (with the 5-speed bezel) you'll be keeping your original ECU and TRAC system so I would suggest you buy the right seat heat switch assembly for your SC400 w/TRAC so that it fits your body harness. Now if you already have seat heater switches on your original console... I'd just remove them (they're clipped in so carefully use a fine tool to remove the assembly) and transfer those switches directly to the 5-speed manual bezel.

Your "TRAC OFF" button is the harder part. You'll need to find a custom location to put it and given that the Auto bezels have those heater switches up high while the 5-speed bezels have them down low, you'll be cutting something to make them fit.

A suggestion: maybe do some VERY careful measuring and fine cutting of the "TRAC OFF" switch mounting section from your original Auto bezel to remove it as a raw chunk of intact plastic. Then figure out a suitable place to mold it into a custom location with plastic cement and redo the finish.

It might also be necessary to cut, extend and solder the wires to that one TRAC OFF switch.

An aftermarket switch for the function could be used as well but you'd want one that does exactly the same thing the Lexus switch does once the car is turned off and on again (ie: TRAC function reverts back to "ON"). I am not sure if the switch acts as a permanent interrupt circuit that resets itself mechanically or if it just sends a short confirmation signal to the TRAC ECU for "OFF". My guess would be the latter.

Sorry you've got to go to some extra trouble. Good luck with this!
Old 11-24-15, 03:22 PM
sc4hunnit
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you can, try and change the switch with a new one or a known working unit. I had a similar problem and come to find out, it was the actual switch. try that and let me know. If you need a switch, let me know, I have a few.
Old 11-25-15, 04:21 PM
Savager
Driver School Candidate

Dont worry my man about that. I will rellocate button to somewhere if i need it.

Sc4hunnit thanks for a reply, but i live in eastern europe so i believe you wont send me it
BTW what do you mean by switch? A button or something else?