Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Experience with Reman crank, crankshaft

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-15, 10:55 AM
BAD954BOI
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Experience with Reman crank, crankshaft

I recently spun a bearing because the jackass that assembled my motor over torqued cylinder #4... So to fast forward around my way it's easier to buy a na long Block then it is to find a crank but I don't want the spare parts or have time to part out parts most people don't want. And LAST BUT NOT LEAST , not comfortable with buying a used part like that with out some kind of guarantee its not damaged.

So the option of a reman crankshaft came my way and was wondering if anyone has taken the chance?
Old 11-11-15, 03:54 PM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

I used a remanufactured crank on my last car but it was a whole different car and motor. If you can prove it was the shops fault they should make it right? If you have to take matters in your own hands then I would say remanufactured would be fine if you REALLY trust the machine shop that did it. As I'm sure you know, if it's not in perfect condition or even off balance and out of spec it'll walk and spin another. I'd even say maybe a brand new crank would be worth it.

All that being said I haven't heard of any issues ever with a maintained block of almost any miles so your chances of getting a bad used block are slim. I couldn't put a number on how many super high miled SC's are running around, not to mention with high HP numbers with just a HG.
Old 11-11-15, 05:03 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,707 Likes on 2,292 Posts

If you replace the crank it will need to be ground to match the rods/bearings. So if you want to replace the crank get a used one that is in good condition and has NOT been machined, take the crank with your rods to a machine shop.
Old 11-11-15, 06:00 PM
TXMAG
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
If you replace the crank it will need to be ground to match the rods/bearings. So if you want to replace the crank get a used one that is in good condition and has NOT been machined, take the crank with your rods to a machine shop.

This. Over the years I've seen all sorts of balance issues with new and/or remanufactured cranks. I wouldn't install one without having a machine shop check it.
Old 11-13-15, 01:12 AM
BAD954BOI
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All valid points fellas,
I personally don't know the source of the reman crank as it was a option that was brought to me via the shop that my engine is at now.

So from my understanding it doesn't really matter which way I go as long as I will have the rods,bearings, and crank taken to a machine shop to be matched and clearances before reassembly. Correct?

Anything else I should look into or do?
Old 11-13-15, 10:08 PM
TXMAG
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BAD954BOI
All valid points fellas,
I personally don't know the source of the reman crank as it was a option that was brought to me via the shop that my engine is at now.

So from my understanding it doesn't really matter which way I go as long as I will have the rods,bearings, and crank taken to a machine shop to be matched and clearances before reassembly. Correct?

Anything else I should look into or do?

I should have said this in my first reply... If it were me, I'd take the entire rotating assembly in and have it all inspected and balanced. This is your crank, connecting rods, pistons, pins, rings and a set of rod bearings. Even if everything is in good shape I think this is a few hundred bucks well spent for a performance build.

Some will probably argue that this is overkill since a 2JZ crank is neutral balanced from the factory, but most performance builds are balanced to +/- 1gram whereas the OEM has a significantly looser tolerance.

Last edited by TXMAG; 11-14-15 at 12:01 AM.